Cancellation penalties

Christine142
Level 2
Healesville, Australia

Cancellation penalties

Hi, regrettably I needed to cancel a guest reservation on the same day it was made due to a booking glitch with another agency. I offered a special deal to the guest for any other date, but unfortunately this was not suitable. The booking was made with 3 days notice so obviously I cancelled with 3 days notice. Now I am expecting a $100 penalty and ineligibility for Superhost status, which I currently have, because I cancelled with 7 days notice.

any advice on how to protect super host status? 

Many thanks, CAS

3 Replies 3
Debi4
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Sadly there is not much you can do about losing your potential superhost status. I made a mistake of having instant booking on my place during the Christmas season. There was someone who booked my place for three days. I cancelled the booking and blocked it for two weeks because I wanted to be able to stay there. I lost my potential super host status .... but according to others it doesn't equate to increased bookings. Too bad about the $ 100 dollars. 

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Christine142,

Unfortunately @Debi4 is on the money I suspect. Airbnb won't really have much pity for you particularly given the mistake (whilst totally honest and practical) was made by yourself with a calendar conflict through another provider's booking.

That said, don't sweat not being a Superhost, just keep being a successful Host on your own terms.

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I don't think being a superhost gives you more bookings, as most guests (if any, really) know what it means. If they DID know what it means, it could bring more bookings as a guest who is worried about having their booking cancelled will know that a Superhost will never ever cancel a booking, or they are not a Superhost any longer. You will become eligible in 12 months time again. I cancelled someone because I clicked the accept button by mistake once. Cancelled it the next minute, when I realised what I had done. Too late, a 12 month wait.

All I can say is don't do it again! Hosts who are on several platforms find it challenging to not to cancel. Don't worry about it.