Cancellations with change of policy

Terence-And-Marlene0
Level 3
St. Catharines, Canada

Cancellations with change of policy

We have notice a definite increase of last minute cancellations of reservations since the change in policy. This is very unfortunate because you do not always get it filled again.  I would like to suggest that Airbnb list cancelations on peoples profiles (just like they would for hosts) so that host can decide if they want to accept a booking from someone that has canceled many times in the past.  Current policy just do not seem fair or balanced.

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

They kind of do, @Terence-And-Marlene0. Not exactly like the host cancellation on-your-profile reproach, but this is from the cancellation policy: "A host will be able to see the number of reservations a guest has cancelled over the previous 12 months when the guest submits a request to book."

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Terence-And-Marlene0 yes, I noticed it too

@Lawrene0 interesting, I didn't know for it and never seen it on guests profiles. I looked now few of them who cancelled their reservations at our place and there is nothing about it on their profiles

The information is said, per the policy, to come "when a guest requests to book". I haven't seen it myself, either. Looking forward to the day. 🙂

And, certainly, I won't be able to do anything about it, with IB on. I paid attention to that phrase only because I had to cancel a reservation I made as a guest this year. It was weather-related but not extenuating. (Icy roads in Canada are nothing.) I wondered whether I would be a marked woman to future hosts. No one has said anything.

And, yes, @Branka-and-Silvia0 and @Terence-And-Marlene0, I agree about seeing more cancellations. I have had lots more since the new no-penalty policy. The small fee ($4 or $5 CDN) they had to forfeit seemed enough to hold them back in the past. No longer.

I have also been seeing more cancellations, and now I get some cancellations without any explanaation.  In the past, if a guest cancelled, they always explained why.  If anyone knows how to find the number of trips a requesting quest has cancelled, please post here!  I too would like that info!!

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

i think it's just part of our times:the customer is king, no matter what. I learned that long ago in retail - you won't believe what people bring back after one year, and then get into your face when you're not happy about it. It's also an American phenomenon, more so than what I have observed in lots of European countries I am familiar with.

About the free cancellation so heavily advertised now by Airbnb: perhaps it is less the fact of getting the service fee back 3 x a year, I think the increase is largely due to Airbnb tossing out the idea of refund in the first place. It helps them pull even with what hotels do, that is the idea...

Actually, it's not all bad for us hosts: we used to complain about not wanting to cancel, trying to get guests to do the cancelling, and then the standstill who will absorb the Airbnb service fees. So now it's much easier to get guests to do the cancelling if we need them to, so we don't get saddled with penalties. That is one if the giid things in there for us hosts