Cancelling my FIRST reservation

Mbua0
Level 3
Milwaukee, WI

Cancelling my FIRST reservation

So, I'll be cancelling my very first guest's reservation first thing in the a.m. for a rules violation. Although I considered simply discussing it over, a combination of personal messages she sent, her smoking in the apartment, and non-response to the subsequent notification I sent lead to my realization that this person is too bold!

Firstly, my check-in time is 3PM, and they called the night before requesting an earlier (noon) check-in - which I agreed to. By 11 a.m. that day, they were already outside asking to come in, and I refused as I was still tidying up. It was a girl in her 20's, and her mother who claims to be a nurse in town for  new-hire orientation. After they returned at 1 PM, I let them in, and walked through being as friendly as usual. The mother was quiet engaging, but the daughter (who boooked), seemed impatient with my discussion. So, I let them be and left. 4 hours later, I received the attached text from her......Screenshot_20190108-002943_1.jpg I'm not even joking (see me in the gray). When I forward this to my girlfriend she starts to laugh, but I figure I'd not be harsh and simply swerve the conversation.

Today, after returning from work 1 hour before, I leave my unit to retireve the mail, and I'm immediately met with the smell of tobacco. None of the leasing tenants in my other 2 unit smoke, so I immediately knew it was this party. I subsequently informed AirBnB, and sent her the message below.Screenshot_20190108-004324_1.jpg

Suffice to say, that my first experience hasn't been the best, and I'll be ejecting them tomorrow morning before work. 

22 Replies 22
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mbua0

I am not sure if you can cancel ongoing reservation and how to do it by yoursef, You should call Airbnb to do it for you and they will do it probably on your behalf.

I don't know if you are aware but if you cancel the reservation by yourself you will be fined with 100$, you will not be eligible for superhost status for a year, those dates will be blocked on your calendar, you will not be paid for the rest of their stay and you will get automated bad review.

The best is to send her an alteration request and change their reservation from X nights they booked to just 1 night (they already stayed) but they have to accept it. Of course you will not be paid for the rest of their stay and you will lose the ability for instant booking.

It is not that easy I am affraid.

@Branka-and-Silvia0, thanks for the response. The following morning, I returned calls to AirBnB and notified them of the nonresponse, and they cancelled the reservation on the guest's behalf.

I went downstairs, and called out for the guest to meet me in the living room, informed her of the violation, and reservation cancel. She become livid, and began spouting rubbish - prompting her mother to awaken and meet us in the living room. They refused to vacate the premises, and stated they shan't leave until the police mandated so. Thus, I had to call police. By the time local police arrived, the daughter was claiming that I "bum rushed them" while naked, and tried to beat them. Although one officer understood the situation, the 2nd was siding with them, and misquoting the law in their support. Luckily, as a new landlord, I was versed enough to correct him. However, they made me call airbnb customer support to see if there were policies allowing them to remain upon cancellation.... Ridiculous

Ultimately, it took 2+ hours to get them out of the property from the time the reservation was cancelled. Even worse, airbnb allowed them post a retributory review of my listing..

thus is life I guess.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mbua0

I am glad to hear Airbnb canceled on their behalf, this was right thing to do but they don't always want to do it .

The most important is they are out and gone finally.

You are first time host but you managed the situation extremely well and did exactly what you should , bravo ! 🙂

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Looking at the girl's profile picture I would feel extremely apprehensive. I am sure she chose the one she was most pleased with. You responded nicely, and I hope you will have many great reviews to sit on top of this one soon.

Mbua0
Level 3
Milwaukee, WI

@Sandra126 & @Branka-and-Silvia0,

Thanks for the encouraging words. Any advice to avoid such situations in the future? 

@Mbua0  I loved your response to her 'review' it was perfect, and her review itself shows her to be an unhinged nut, so I doubt that will have any impact on your bookings.  In terms of how to avoid future situations, did you notice anything odd or off in your communications with her before she arrived?  That's really all there is to go on, that and the profile and reviews.  

Aside from arriving a whopping 4 hours earlier than check-in, there was nothing off. Having found her facebook account prior to arrival, I understood her 'sort' of persons. However, I decided to reserve my prejudicies. Afterall, I reside in the property, so what's the worst that could happen?.... Or so I thought. 

@Mbua0

if you don't have instant booking you can screen your guests... but then it is unpossible to cancel if they are bad guests.

We have instant booking and can only pray .... and hung garlic wreath on the door 😄

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Mbua0

Sorry this happened to you . Sounds like you had a lucky escape.

However on a different note, I didn't feel your conversation with the guest was terrible professional in your messages.

Just because she flirted with you didn't mean you had to reciprocate. It gave out the wrong message to her and didn't sound  like what someone in a relationship ie you would say.

Probably best going forward to keep messages friendly but professional.  Don't flirt with your guests.

@Mbua0, I was thinking the exact thing @Helen3 has said. The message seemed a bit flirtatious from your end as well and I would also minimize texting and keep all communication to the Airbnb app just in case. 

@John1080@Helen3, @Cathie19, I won't even deny entertaining those text messages. I found the situation comical, and somewhat surreal for day 1 of hosting, so I wanted to see where it went. It won't happen again however. 

Thank you all for the advice!

@Mbua0, and yes, congrats on handling the rest of the saga so well! Hope you (and all of us) never have another one like that! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am not sure your partner would see them in the same way 🙂

Glad to hear going forward you will keep things on a professional footing.

You don't want to give Airbnb any reason to doubt your side when it comes to guest disputes.

As has been mentioned. Keep all messages on Airbnb and keep them to discussions about the booking in hand.

@Helen3 - keeping the messages on the application is a MUST. However, I was surprised that AirBnB released my personal number in the first place. I was never given, or never noticed, any of my host's personal contacts' during my own stays.

As a P.S, that was the snaphsot I sent my lady, I'm covered!