Guest fell from tub

Tye1
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

Guest fell from tub

Hello, my guest just messaged me saying he slipped from the tub causing the need for six stitches. He says he fell straight on his face and suggests I get bigger bath mats. However I have 2 standard size mats (from Walmart) for both of my standard size tubs. Am I responsible for this happening to him? 

15 Replies 15

Of course not. Unfortunate, but you cannot be resposible for that. If you were, you would have to check on drinkin, fitness, eyesight...

@Karina-Каринa0 

Unfortunately, in America, yeah, he probably is. If someone wants to sue, they’ll sue.

@Emilia42  Is right. You're in America of course it your fault @Tye1. This is the country of it's always someone elses fault no matter what. There is no personal responsiblity anymore and it's only getting worse from what I can see. I spent so much time teaching my children to be responsible for their actions and that each action has a reaction that they must then live with, but most of friends children were coddled or told it's not your fault over and over again ad nauseam. My 22 years old daughter, who's in college to be a teacher commented on this subject of entitlement with her generation a while ago and said "this is what happens when everyone gets a trophy." She's absolutely right. 

To put it another way, in America victimization is a very lucrative 'cottage industry'. Considering that mentality, I have a 'Limited Liability Form' I have all my guests sign; granted a bit heavy of a move for most hosts, but I don't not trust people, despite the fact 495/500 guests have been great over 4 years. It is that 1% I am always prepared for.

IF ever a guest mentions they got hurt, the first words out of my mouth is 'What a shame', not 'I am sorry' whether I am or not; just in case I am dealing with a guest with a 'victim' mentality wanting to shift resposibility from themselves.

True – there is a reason not to say sorry, it's not rudeness or lack of empathy, although it may seem that way.  It is, unfortunately, far too often taken as admitting guilt or wrong doing. Depressing.

Hi @Karina0

As Brits and fellow Europeans this type of culture is foreign to our mentality, as we tend not to be so entitled .......yes indeedy!

that’s why my listing tanks states everything clearly, including photos with clear descriptions for the educationally impaired who think their brain exists only for ornamental purposes.

My listing has an ever growing list of DONT’s........there is some business I can do well without, thank you very much

I didn’t think so, however I do understand how people will try to get what they can out of a situation if it can benefit them.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Tye

Fortify yourself with a glass of the local moonshine or equivalent or if you are a teetotaller start brewing industrial amounts of pots of tea......and await the thud of the letter from the ambulance chasing lawyer through your letterbox!

Seriously @Tye2

Phone Air bnb local number explain your situation.

Get in touch with your insurance company asap.

Get in touch with a lawyer ASAP ,as the matter of finding out preventative measures to protect yourself is of utmost importance......best to spend a few bucks on legal advice now rather than this situation getting truly out of control.

Good luck 

I will do that. Thank you!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I agree with Robin - Do everything that he lists there. Protect yourself, your assets, your business, and your home...Rally the troops, STAT.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

This reminds me of a guest and his vegetarian girlfriend.... She was ok but the boyfriend started eying up my beautiful home and must have figured out we were not short of a bob or 2!

Boyfriend watching his girlfriend tucking into her breakfast vegetarian mushroom pastry and cous cous salad.

Boyfriend.... I'm allergic to mushrooms!

Me.... Really how interesting!

Boyfriend.... I'm really allergic to mushrooms!

Me... Yes that's still as interesting as 2 minutes ago when you first informed me, therefore as you are just looking at the mushrooms your girlfriend is eating I don't think this applies to you. But a friendly word of advice from a retired medical professional just make sure you avoid ALL physical contact between you and your girlfriend for the next 48 hours!

End of conversation.

Lol

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks @Tye0

thank goodness you've still got your sense of humour Bro😉

@Tye  A host's nightmare.  They need to come up with documentation, hospital visits etc. Check out Airbnb insurance:  https://www.airbnb.com/host-protection-insurance. It may be worth getting in touch with Airbnb now, before it develops into a nightmare.