Hidden guests pictures - photos voyageurs supprimées

J--Daniel0
Level 3
Geneva, Switzerland

Hidden guests pictures - photos voyageurs supprimées

Hello to all,

I absolutely disagree with the fact that now Airbnb hydes the pictures of the guests.

I deactivated all my adds right now, and there are a lot of reasons to do so.

I am really desapointed, even sad. But I won't continue with this condition and wanted to say it, thanks.

Bye and regards to all.

Jean-Daniel

45 Replies 45

Hi Lizzie: 

Thank you for the clearfication.  

I do know we can request a photo before the guest arrive ( as long as the reservation is confirmed). 

BUT, I believe our hosts are upset about the policy of the hidden guest picture BEFORE THE RESERVATION IS CONFIRMED. It's not fair for hour host at all.  ( Should we, as a host, hide our photo too? I don't think so either, but that is anther topic). 

I actually wrote a entire post throught Airbnb feedback to address this issue. I hope you and aother Airbnb team member can take some time and read this. 

Right now is NOT a win-win siutuation. 

Thanks for taking the time reading our feedback. 

Karen

Hello Lizzie,

Thanks for your informations.

Indeed, to see a rose or whatever after accepting was one of my several fears.

Globally, to see the picture first allows a certain confidence from people you have never seen before and will most probably never see after, but who will come to your house. As described by some people in the discussion, we offer our homes to travellers but on certain conditions also, not only Airbnb's ones.

In my case of an open-space, it's very clear : whether I can interact with a picture from the beginning with the person who will sleep at 2 meters of me, or they don't come to my home. So far I had more than 800 people without problems, it's maybe because of several precautions too. Maybe you could offer, at least, to the open spaces the pictures of the guests. This is just an idea.

However, happy to know Airbnb looks for the reactions, but something tells me that a good number of people will simply (and sadly) stop hosting too.

Regards,

JD

Lizzie, we are aware of the settings mentioned by you but we are nevertheless don’t agree with the recent changes. We always thought that Airbnb was different from all the other booking engines. We do understand why Airbnb is forced to go down that road (racism, prejudice, etc) but it then doesn’t make it differbfrom what is out there. Why bother booking via Airbnb when it promised always to be this global community......bla, bla, bla..... staying with friends attitude. If I stay with “friends” I want to know who they are and get to know them a “little bit” before they stay with us under OUR roof. Long story short .... this is all full of ...... , you know what I mean but it certainly does not work for us. Good luck!!!

Brandie0
Level 2
West Valley City, UT

I don't see why seeing a picture or not is an issue unless you intend to discriminate based on their picture. I never really pay much attention to the pictures  or profiles anyway. Just their star rating, but I also get a lot of first time Airbnbers with no ratings.

I have hosted a ridiculous amount of people in my home. My rooms are dirt cheap, and I hardly ever decline guests. I have had hundreds of amazing guests from all over the world in my home. My only issues ever, seem to be with local guests, always the locals. 

@ Brandie : Please be less rude. Seing discrimation everywhere is not good. A picture :

- Can make a better interaction. Shall I recall, again, that a lot of hosts accept to offer their homes with pleasure, but with the fundamental and not negociable right to decide who comes in it ?

- Even more relevant, and it happened to me dozens of times with requests without pictures, you can't see if the person is a man or woman, especially with all the names in languages which are not yours. In open spaces, or even countries, you have the right (confirmed by Airbnb) not to accept everyone. Asking then if the person is a man or a woman and then declining is the best way to have troubles, beleive me. No time nor wish for me in my life.

Finally, talking about discrimation, what do you think about the fact that hosts offering their homes can't see the pictures of the guests before accepting, but guests still can see the host pictures, or in case it hasn't, choose another listing ? How can we tolerate this, please...

I am extremely upset and disapointed with Airbnb as they have taken down all the images of the people who have stayed over and banned the pictures of guets who may be interested in booking. 

There may be descrimination going on but this is life and a coice for others. I personally will not accept anyone into my home without seeing their pictures and the guets also feel this why as well! 

I am not sure how airbnb has been persuaded by lawyers to take this action but i know from other hosts that they are taking away the smallest trust we still have while the gusets have all the benfits. They can see outr image , read our profile, see our home and we stay in the dark??? 

This cannot continue and I hope more hosts will come forward to complain. This is supposed to be a welcoming app for everyone . Its about home sharing your home with people you want to welcome.  

J--Daniel0
Level 3
Geneva, Switzerland

The pictures being hydden, I decided to give it a chance that way :

> Immediate declining of any demand without reviews.

But I am not happy and confirm that I'm taking the sad direction of closing my account and 3 listings.

Gerald70
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I have to say I agree with this. This is a safety concern for sure. How do you know who to expect coming to your home? Am I supposed to ask for identification? I definitely must do so. What alternatives are there?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In what way is not seeing the photo of a guest before they book a safety concern for you @Gerald70 ? Personally I don't care what a guest looks like before they book.

There is very little you can tell from someone's photo. In the vast majority of cases it doesn't tell you whether they are likely to be a bad guest.

If on booking there is something specifically about the photo that makes you uncomfortable for example they are carrying a gun or are pictured at a racist rally, then you could call airbnb and ask them to cancel on those grounds.

I would just carry on hosting in the way that you have always done and when you see the photo on booking if there is something that makes you uncomfortable then call Airbnb.

I have to say in nearly four years of hosting and hundreds of guests there has never been a guest where I would have wanted to cancel purely based on the photo they provide. Have you?

Hello,

Yes I have. Maybe because it's a shared room, but I asbolutely want to know before any contact who might be sleeping at 1 meter of me. Possibly you would also request this.

For the time being, the compromise I found is : no picture-no reviews = no chance, I decline.

I'm not sure to continue with these conditions but I want to see how all this works.

No, I have never cancelled based on someone's photo. My concern is not what they look like but who is coming to my door. How do you know for sure that they are the guests that booked? I know for certain that people use their relatives and friends AirBnb accounts to book stays. The person showing up to stay the trip is not the person in the profile. That can be dangerous as you have no information on the person visiting your property. All of the registered information is for the user's profile who is not on the trip. That makes me uncomfortable.

Виталий5
Level 2
Moscow, Russia

The propensity of a person to clean and observe the rules of the house does not appear in the photo. Even people in business suits can act like pigs. Although, psychologically, comfortable photo to see.

Cj7
Level 3
London, GB

Absolutely ridiculous thing to do! The photo of the guests would spark conversations and being the communications. Shame on Airbnb taking this way. What’s the sense of it? 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Cj7 so would the photo of the host, why don't you have a photo of yourself? 🙂 

@Ana1136 

Thousands of hosts worldwide changed or removed their own profile pics in protest against this policy.