I need some help as a traveler from The Host

Carla378
Level 1
Marlin, TX

I need some help as a traveler from The Host

I am in an extremely bad situation due to a Airbnb host I am a host to so understand the intricacies of being a good host. I am needing a place in Dallas for an extended period of time but only able to pay 500 a week I contacted host after host and finally had a host that was totally excited about it he said that he blocked it off through till the 1st of June so I would have time for my house to be repaired and I wouldn't be in a rush. What he didn't tell us that the house was filthy and that he had not paid the rent on the house also he did not know that I had a service dog he also neglected to tell me that all of the pipes was rusted and leaking and it would flood regularly. I gave him $500 the day I arrived he was supposed to pay Airbnb with it I had to give him it this way because my lawyer has written a check out. But apparently on the same day he took $2,000 from another family that were scheduled to come in one week without letting me know 4/8 days I was flooded attacked by the manager verbally and then told I had to leave because I didn't have permission to have my certified dog with me. My host truly is committing fraud in these acts I know most of you would never do any of these things that he's done but could you possibly understand the situation this man has gotten me into what can I do

5 Replies 5
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Carla378

Oh Carla, I am so sorry you have found yourself in this position and all I can hope is that another Airbnb host in Dallas will try and help you in some way. 

Unfortunately there is not much Airbnb can do because you have done a deal outside the Airbnb system, you have agreed to pay the host direct. Airbnb do not operate this way!

If the situation is as you say I would find the hosts Airbnb profile, if he indeed has one, and click the small flag you will find under his profile name with the field that says....Report this user!

That will bring it to the attention of Airbnb's Trust and Safety team and you can explain what has happened to you and Airbnb will take the appropriate action against this host.

I can't speak for other hosts but, we are a good community Carla and if only this had happened in my part of the world I would have been only to happy to help you, even if it meant making a room available in the main house but, it would have been through the Airbnb system.

Can you please keep us informed how things turn out for you.

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

Carla does not have a profile.

David
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Carla has no profile and no listing as a host, which she claims to be.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David126 @Sarah977 

Wow, the dreaded 404 icecream girl.....I should have looked at that!

You like to trust people, I can't begin to tell you how much is going on my life. I have a wife in care! I prepare 60-80 three course meals a day for the elderly who can't cook for themselves any more..,..all for nothing, it's a voluntary role. I have a cottage that is virtually fully booked now...have just come through 4 straight one nighters....and what time I have left after keeping the ship upright, I spend here.

I would love to think it is worth it...maybe it's not!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

No problem and I know you have a lot on. Perhaps I tend to look at these things from a different angle, just did not pass the smell test so I looked for something to support that.

David