Key Symbol check-in link

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

Key Symbol check-in link

Hi all,

Over the past two weeks I have been missing the key symbol which I frequently use to send a link to my upcoming guests for check-in instructions. Airbnb is conducting a test with random hosts to see if removing the key symbol affects them. I imagine the test will sway their decision to keep or remove the key symbol. Recently I received a 4* review because the checkin instructions were not smooth. The guest booked last minute and wasn’t able to access the checkin info from the automated email sent (perhaps it was the guest’s unfamiliarity with the process as he was a new user). I was then sending him screenshots of the checkin info which was confusing, slow, and unprofessional.
I urge all hosts affected to phone Airbnb customer service and report the missing symbol and request it be reinstated as they are conducting a “test” to gauge the usefulness of the key symbol.

27 Replies 27
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Recommend in the mean time you go back to a previous message where you used it. Long press/highlight and copy it. Then create a new canned err. "saved" message and save your link there. That way it's there, it's 1 extra press in the future but it gets the job done.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Jim472 Yes I agree I can send the info myself but what I loved about the link is that it is only active a couple days before checkin and expires after check-out! It also includes pictures and additional information all in easy steps laid out for the guest. It makes the self check-in process seamless and considering we are rated in that category why would Airbnb consider removing the key symbol function? 

Jim, I am trying to follow your instructions and I’m not having any luck highlighting my link from an old message.  I can type in my link but it is not a hyperlink...any thoughts?

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Yeah Katrina, I follow you. It's still the same thing. Here is my link: 

airbnb.com/reservation/check-in-guide/20795444

Don't matter where it's used, who it's given to, or anything really. If it's not your guest they can't use it. I've got a lengthy canned check in message that I send out to guests that has the link in it and it works fine for them. 

Nikki297
Level 1
Bronte, AU

Thanks for putting my mind at ease about the missing key symbol - I have also been trying to use mine for 2 weeks and it’s missing. Airbnb support were useless and didn’t even know what I was talking about!! We need the symbol back pronto - it is upsetting my guests and myself! 

Yes. This is driving me crazy not having the link right in the messaging. I have three listings on the same property each with a different link. It’s so clumsy, slow and scary to transfer from where I’ve copied it to back to Airbnb messaging and hope I didn’t mess it up. I swear, every time I hit that key I said to myself, thank goodness for this link. It is a game changer for me. I have non-traumatic brain injury and constantly worry I will mess up. Then the key allowed me to automate the whole thing. Ugh. 
We all know the majority of GUESTS HATE TO READ. An email from Airbnb is low priority to a guest. A message from a host  prior to arrival is very high priority to guests who are busy traveling. 
BRING BACK THE KEY!!!

Vanessa500
Level 2
Oxford, GB

I am having the same issue.

I use the key symbol for every guest and I have between 10-20 guests a week. I can’t live with out it. I know guests are given the link somewhere else but most people don’t see it and ask for the details. Send screen shots of the instructions is time consuming, unprofessional, and they arrive in the guests inbox in reverse! 

I also launched a new apartment and therefore it means I have no old link to be able copy and send to guests.

It is extremely handy to have the link when guests and I don’t speak the same language. 
When a guests receives the link with all the pictures it ensures they can get in the property. Which is so important when a place is a pretty tricky to find! 

I also found that when creating the check in instructions the annotating pen and arrow feature isn’t working! That means the pictures are less useful. Arrows can tell the same instruction in every language! Left, right, straight, around the corner....

AirBnb please bring back the key symbol URGENTLY! And sort the annotating features! 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

What is this key symbol? I have never used it or even known about it until just now reading this post. 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@John1080 It's a shortcut, to a static URL, and for the life of me I don't know why people are so hung up on this. Maybe it's just me but I certainly wouldn't send my guest a single link so I've got it in my canned welcome message. You know, "Hi XXX, bla bla, arriving soon, bla bla here is a link to some detailed directions "MY URL". Bla bla" I just don't get it. Here @Nikki297  Your's is https://www.airbnb.com/reservation/check-in-guide/2655332 and @Vanessa500  the Oxford one is https://www.airbnb.com/reservation/check-in-guide/34292630

Untitled.png

@Jim472, thanks, I don't think I have ever seen it! I always send my pre-arrival message with all the necessary info, and 85 or so guests later, have never had a problem with anyone finding the place, getting in, etc.  I think there are many ways to skin a cat - thank you for your explanation! 

Vanessa500
Level 2
Oxford, GB

Hi Jim

Thanks for your feedback, to be honest I didn’t realise that the link was the property ID.

The issue is that the key symbol is not displaying at the bottom of the message feed. Sounds like AirBnb are trialing a removal of it all together.

I have template messages set up so now I know how to generate the static web address I have managed to create a template for my latest property, so thanks for that.

the key symbol is a quick and easy tool to send guests who claim they can’t wait the check in details. Click the key symbol, press send and boom they are in the apartment in no time! 

thanks again for explain how the web address is set up! 

I had this issue a few months ago. I don't think it was a test performed by Airbnb. It seemed to be a bug in the app that they deployed (I'm on Android). I reverted back to the an older version of Airbnb and it was working fine.

Sent the bug to Airbnb to fix and they were able to fix it within a week. 

I have called support, no help with information or explanation. I have given feedback. I have reported as a bug. Is yours still working now? 

Johanna360
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Early last week I noticed the key symbol was back and a couple days later  I received a phone call from an Airbnb supervisor due to my total dissatisfaction with receiving a chat response that the key symbol is gone and not coming back a few weeks ago.  I asked to talk to a manager and the rep closed the message and I did not receive a follow up call or email.

The Supervisor informed me  the information I received was incorrect. While I appreciate a supervisor calling me, he talked over me, continued to interrupt me, and it felt like he was in a rush to end the call.  

While the key symbol is back (for now) what is gone and not coming back is a Customer Support team that made Airbnb uniquely genuine, which I believe is a valuable commodity in metrics driven businesses.