Money Request function open to fraud.

Denis66
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Money Request function open to fraud.

Airbnb support on the downhill...

Heads up. The airnbnb money request is not a stable platform and should not  be used. We recently started using money request option and have been scammed. We sent a money request to a guest who owed us a substantial amount  odf moneyfor losing keys which ended up a nightmare and the keys had to be collected from a taxi overr 100km away. We therefore used the airbnb payment option a( money request option) and the guest agreed to the requested amount and accepted the payment option. Guest checked out and within a couple of hours we received an email syaing moneys cannot be collected from guest. This payment function  is open to fraudelent behaviour. We have contacted airbnb support over 4 days ago without ANY response. It is clear that this is a serious probelm that airbnb faces as it obviously an insecure paymnent method and open to fraud. 

+++If it were a large amount we would obviously be forced to open a case of fraud as guest/client/citizen promised to reimburse us through this payment option which could obviously be reversed soon after accepting . This case would then involve investigation of Airbnb as well. Plus potentially make more public this type of vulnerability in the system with potential greater abuse by other users and a escalation of general lack of confidence in its use by other hosts. +++

any advice would be welcome...

Denis

8 Replies 8
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Denis66 

I think the key word on money request is the 'request' part.

The guest has to agree first to the request and then have the funds available via banking to pay up.

You can press the involve airbnb button if you do not get a response at the resolution centre.

Airbnb can try to push harder, invoke the deposit option or pay up themselves, once they have became judge and jury on the claim.

It's not the easiest task getting some people to pay up.

Denis66
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Therefore open to fraud...

@Denis66 

Why don't you elaborate on your experience and let us see how you got scammed.

Just be clear. Guest accepted money request. Airbnb sent confirmation that guest accepted payment request. 1 day later get another email from airbnb saying they are unable to collect monies from Guest and will continue to try. We also escalated via the resolution centre with no answer as to where the payment is or whether they can conclude to collect the outstanding payment or not. Therfore we have lost money through trust of the system a d of course the guest. 

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Denis66 

The resolution centre only works if you make a claim Immediately the guest checks out, it must be before any new guest arrives. Document with pictures / any messages between you and guest. Always keep everything to the Airbnb message thread. 

You also need to be realistic. Airbnb will not support huge claims and it’s highly unlikely a guest is going to be in a position to pay huge sums either. You need to have set a deposit on your listing to cover these kind of eventualities. 

If a guest agrees to pay then Airbnb should process the claim, but this is only going to happen if the amount is less than the security deposit you have set. 

I don’t know the circumstances of your claim. In Uk in this kind of situation. I’d get the locks replaced. Approx £100. £40 for 8 new keys. £140 and this is well within the security deposit as per my listing. Several times I’ve had claims settled in full. Airbnb deal with these issues every day and know the true cost of such issues . 

Denis66
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Yes claim was done in front of guest to accept money request before he left the property. We all know the implications of presuming a guest will hit the acceopt button, so i made the guest do it front of me.  Next day airbnb say they are unable to collect monies from guest. Obviously payment can be altered  or reversed wityhin seconds after payment request accepted. Security deposits only chase guests away. Anyway why need a security deposit when airbnb settles most legitimate claims in full.  Another way would to refuse guests to leave or enter the property until they have paid their payment request in full and the money is the bank. That would solve the problem in an instant. 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Denis66  "Anyway why need a security deposit when airbnb settles most legitimate claims in full."

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Airbnb settles most legitimate claims in full. Most reports are that it is like pulling teeth to get them to make good on their host guarantee, even with documentation and receipts. They seem to make it as painful a process as possible, in the hope that hosts will give up.

Security deposits don't chase guests away, they tend to make them more careful not to do damage. And Airbnb's security deposit isn't actually charged to guests when they book- it is only to say that they could  be charged up to the amount of the secuity deposit. 

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Denis66 

hosting over 5 years and recently Airbnb have hugely tightened up paying out in any form.  

There are numerous threads here with even veteran superhosts being refused compensation for some major damage.

i had to fight and go crazy and really keep hassling to get just £40 compensation for a guy who left human excrement all over my apartment! £40! And they initially offered me just £20.

I did get a settlement with host guarantee but only because the press got involved and Airbnb wanted to close down the story getting out to public.