Racist review

Taylan0
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

Racist review

Hello,

A guest left a review says;  the surrounding is dangerous and she is pointing out a desperate minority community lives in the town. 

Airbnb said they discussed a lot about this review between each other but they decided to keep the review. 

She is racist and to keep this review is racism too in my opinion. I find this review disgusting and very offensive for minority community in my town. 

What can i do?

7 Replies 7
Yun8
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Taylan0

Hi Taylan,

I had a quick look through your recent reviews and could not see any that made mention of any minority group/communities?

To which review are you referring to? 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Taylan0. I don't see a racist review. Is it possible that the racism only showed up in the private feedback? I have actually stayed near your apartment and that is not a dangerous area at all. I do recall some street "hustlers" trying to beg for money from tourists, but that is true in most tourist areas these days.

I do think, however, that you should be more upfront about the fact that your apartment is on a 7th floor with no lift. That is a lot of climbing daily, especially after enjoying the boreks I found nearby.

Taylan0
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

I’m not here to make the promotion of the review Yun but something like that had written; “neighbourhood seems dangerous for women and children also black people live here”. (I changed the name of the minority community)

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I also can't find any racist review. Here's Google's English translation of the latest review, in Korean, which has some similar wording:  "It is on the top floor, but there is no elevator and stairs, and it seems to be a bit dangerous for women and students alike. The window is small and there is not a solid fire, so it feels a bit stuffy. When checking in, the landlord did not come in person and the owner of the house came in. I was uncomfortable because I could not communicate in English." 

Yun8
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Taylan0 @Lisa723

I had thought that Taylan was referring to the most recent review in Korean, but the guest did not comment on any groups/communities - at least not in this public review that we can see.

If the guest had made a comment about any minority groups then that review would be removed as it violates Airbnb’s content guidelines. 

I used google translate to check this review in both English and in Chinese - and can confirm there was no comment about minority groups in either translations.

Yun8
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Taylan0

If it is of any consolation, as the review was written in Korean, it will automatically be placed at the very end of your reviews when your listing is viewed by the majority of your future guests, as reviews are ordered in relevance to the viewer’s own language in the listing page view.

This review would not put me off staying at your listing, as it tells me more about the guest herself - she states of her discomfort due to her lack of English language skills and seems like she would have been more suited to a hotel environment.

You have many fantastic reviews  and obviously are a great host, I hope you won’t let this review bother you for too long.

Taylan0
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

Hi everybody,

It’s so wierd because it was there untill very recently plus they sent me an email that they rejected my request. Never told me they were gonna remove the words make the review racist and never mentioned that they can change the meaning of the sentences by manipulating them. 

Anyway, thank you @Yun8 but i  don’t care about the rest of the review. I’m greatful that sick mind can not be visible on my page anymore. There are always ups and downs in the life. I always try to find something to learn and improve myself and my environment.  But rest of it... i can’t change someone’s perspective of life.