Same day cancellation

Anne1045
Level 2
Tuoro sul Trasimeno, Italy

Same day cancellation

Hi there, for the second time guests have cancelled on their check in date. The Airbnb policy states that my cancellation policy still applies. Thankfully I have a moderate cancellation policy so I will get 50% of the daily rate. I still think it is unfair - there is no chance of me being able to let the room on the same day.

Both guests had booked back in February, so in both cases I had kept the rooms available for a long time. When my family asked to stay I had to take this last booking into account and they cut their stay short to make room for the guest that has just cancelled. Airbnb does not allow me to cancel without penalties. Of course you take the rough with the smooth, but I think same day cancellations should be paid in full. 

Curiously enough I was asked to rate the first guest who cancelled. I expect I will receive the same invitation for this latest cancellation. If a guest has cancelled the host should not receive an invitation to rate the guest.

I wonder what other hosts think.

Best regards,

Anne

19 Replies 19

@Anne1045  I don't find that choosing the Strict cancellation policy has a significant impact on most guests' likelihood of booking. Unfortunately, it's one of the things people tend to glaze over alongside the "fine print" without paying much attention.

As far as the review is concerned, I don't share the opinion that a guest cancellation automatically merits a thumbs-down or 1-star rating. If the guest communicated with you prior to the agreed arrival time (instead of leaving you waiting all day) and did not demand any refunds outside of your Cancellation Policy, they've actually handled their circumstances just fine and certainly don't deserve any punishment. However I don't have any kind words for those who seek to cut you out of your pay due to their poor planning or failure to purchase travel insurance - even under "Extenuating Circumstances," I'd regard this as unethical, and worthy of warning other hosts about.

Anne1045
Level 2
Tuoro sul Trasimeno, Italy

Hi Andrew, thanks for your input and sharing your experience regarding the Strict cancellation policy. Very useful.

I agree that a 1 star rating is not a solution - until now (this is my second year hosting) I have had no way of telling whether the people who cancelled were being truthful about their reasons for cancelling. I don't want to penalise those who are being honest. It would be fairer if there was another way of rating people who cancel.

Catch 22.

Thanks again,

All the best,

Anne

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

If I have a moderate cancellation policy and guest made a reservation for tomorrow, can they still cancel it free of charge within 48 hours?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Piotr48 

No, it has to be more than 14 days from check in for this rule to apply

@Jeff158 Thanks!