Sofa Bed Styles

Allan-and-Paola0
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Sofa Bed Styles

Hi,

We are thinking about replacing the existing sofa bed in our studio and are wondering about recommendations for the best style of sofa beds?

What is the best style,

- a mechanical extendable frame, where the bed is inside the sofa and can be made when folded in, or

- a sofa where additional bedspace rolls out and pops up, but needs to be made by the guests when they convert it

The big metal fold out frame can be hard to convert, but guests don't need to make the bed, while the roll out / pop up style is easy, but guests have to make it

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Paola and Allan

5 Replies 5
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Allan-and-Paola0 I have a brilliant Sofabed, it's a 3 seater with a chaise end, the underside rolls out and turns the L shaped chaise and sofa into a large rectangular double bed- and when you open the chaise part up, underneath/inside you have enough storage for a mattress cover, pillows, duvet etc- it's really neat and is fool-proof 🙂

Paul.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Allan-and-Paola0

Everyone is going to give you a different opinion here guys! I have been a guest in a listing that used the arrangement that @Paul1255 offers and it is great, it becomes a good bed!

From my perspective I use the old pull out frame style which I prefer for a couple of reasons.

1/. ....Many guests are at the end of a days travelling, they are tired, have all the luggage to sort out and don't want to f*rt around making a bed, so with this style...... the bed is made, just pull the cushions off, fold it out, and climb aboard.

2/. ..... I know the bed has been done properly...the mattress protector is in place, the sheets do not have any stray hair lurking on them....the bed has been made to my standard!  

3/.......The sofa bed does not come free of charge! My listing is a studio cottage with a great bed for two people, with the ability to accommodate a 3 or a 4th on the sofa bed. But my lsiting price is for the use of the main bed, and the use of the sofa bed involes a 3rd guest additional cost of $15 pr night. I feel when guests are paying for the use of it, they have the right not to have to make it themselves!

These are just my thoughts Allan and Paola...I am not saying I am right, just the way I prefer to do it!

Cheers.....Rob

Allan-and-Paola0
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Thanks Paul and Robin,

Paul - the chaise version sounds exactly like what we are looking at.
Do people whinge at all about having to make their own bed?

Cheers!

Hey @Allan-and-Paola0 I don't have many guests that use the sofabed- it's usually when I am away, but no one has ever complained about having to make it- pillows and cushions are folded neaty and the topper is folded into thirds. Everything is in one place and exactly where it needs to be (no messing arounnd in cupboards etc) and start to finish is 1 minute tops!

Linda505
Level 4
Ballarat, Australia

We have 4 apartments with the metal pull out frame bed. I think the main thing you should look at is the comfort.

Our sofa beds have innerspring mattresses (I don't know how they get them to fold up but it works) and people often compliment us on how comfy they are. I mean there's nothing worse than a bar in the back.

I wouldn't really appreciate having to make a bed either. We have the sheets on the bed and just keep the blanket and pillows in a cupboard. It works out fine.

This is the sofa we chose https://www.plush.com.au/sofa-beds/archer-sofabed