This guy gets it!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

This guy gets it!

In that sea of users who request to book with messages that simply read, "I'd like to check-in in the morning, if possible!" and "john doe/jane doe. looking forward to it" there is hope!

This guy joined just this month and has no reviews but he definitely has a bright future as an ABB guest:

"Hello Suzanne,

My wife and I are attending a wedding at [wedding venue] on 6/28 and would like to stay at your place that evening and then we plan to go to the beach the next day (6/29).

A little bit about us.... I am a 4th year pharmacy student at [XYZ] University and my wife is a dental assistant. We look forward to hopefully staying at your place. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Chris"

I love these guests already!!

21 Replies 21
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Suzanne302  I've been very lucky- most of my guests tend to send request messages like this. The only ones who don't are young. Which is not to say some of the young ones don't send good ones- just that I find the middle-aged and older ones always send informative messages.

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Suzanne302  we got this inquiry off our Craigslist ad a little while ago....Hello Yvonna, I hope you're well. I saw your post on Craigslist about your apartment being available for a vacation rental. I'm looking to go to Niagara Falls with my family for the 4th of July weekend. On your ad it says it's only for 5 people, but there are 7 in my family. We are small people The tallest one in my family is 5'5 so we don't need much room. Please let me know if that's a problem and what your rate per night is. Thank you and have a great day.....we never thought to factor in “height” towards max occupancy??? Bahahaha!!!

@Thomas1033 That's hilarious. You couldn't make this stuff up. So because they're short, they're going to sleep 5 to a bed, use less toilet paper and towels, less utilities? It's astounding the bizarro logic of some people.

Omg that’s so sweet @Thomas1033 !  Definitely print and frame that one!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Thomas1033  How about this for a reply- "That's great! My ceilings are only 5'7" high, and almost of my guests have to walk around all stooped over. But you guys will have 2" of headroom, so I'm sure you'll all be super comfortable."

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Sarah977  I should have asked if they could provide girth measurements additionally before I considered their request however I merely stated we were already booked for those dates.  And then I received a request through Airbnb app for 1 person July 7-20.  Which was really a request asking me if I would accept $1600 for the entire month of July for 4 people.  I of course have a booking until the 6th but irregardless it’s the most lucrative month here (I’m hoping). We are probably one of the last if not last place booked in our immediate area (North Tonawanda NY) which we feel is due to the stairs but the upside is we book at a higher rate since we’re whats left anyways and that’s a win for us!  It’s just been a  couple days of strange requests.  We stayed at one Airbnb recently in Portland Oregon and I was asked to list our names and I told the host we were on a sightseeing road trip and would sleep overnight and move on.  We’re lucky to get half that info.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Suzanne302 

Hell, I must be living in some guest heaven! All my guests send me initial messages just like that. I never have to check them out or anything, I just look at the message and go..'cool, there's another one'

Here is a few from this month, but this is invariably what I get.

Good message 1.png

Good message 2.png

Good message 3.png

Good message 4.png

Good message 5.png

I just thought this was the norm and that this the way hosts got addressed.

Great for you Suzanne  but I am surprised that you are surprised!

Cheers......Rob