Tips for Hosting Successfully

Angus-and-David0
Level 4
Queensland, Australia

Tips for Hosting Successfully

Hi Community

These are some of my tips for hosting. Please note that they are NOT necessarily what other people may like but are things that have assisted myself in hosting and I want to share. Remember, I am NOT telling you what to do!

1. Iron your sheets, including fitted ones if you use them. It gives a professional look and demonstates they are clean. 

2.Try and use white sheets if possible, especially if you line dry them as the sun will keep them nice and bleached.

3. Invest in an electric blanket if you live somewhere that has a cold winter.............

4. Get some tourist information for the local area and leave it for guests.

5. Have a guest directory. Information that contains the FAQ's such as passwords etc.

6. Have a guide to local eating places. Airbnb does have a guidebook attached for hosts to fill in but it is not very user friendly and fiddly for guest to use.

7. Touch base with guest to see if things are ok each day. That way it helps to sort out issues and avoid bad reviews.

8. Don't stress about getting Superhost status........the evidence shows that people will generally book based on your photos, amenities and reviews before superhost status. At least half of my guests were not even aware of Superhost status.

9.Try and be pet friendly......it will pay you dividends..........!!!!

10. If you provide breakfast or food in the listing then try and cater for peoples dietry needs if possible. Are they vegan, lactose free, have any allergies etc? You can't cater for everything/everyone but the simple gesture of asking makes a world of difference to guests.

11. Try and avoid cleaning fees if possible, it is a real put off for guests. Instead, incorporate it into your listing price.

12. Have business cards made up and leave them in and around the listing. Have your Airbnb link on it.

13. Advertise in social media. Instagram is way better than FB and can showcase your listing better. You can also put your Airbnb link on your profile.

14. Read people comments and advice in these discussions rooms but DON'T take it all to seriously. What might be good for one is bad for another. However, there is some great advice on here.

15. Stick to what you believe your listing is worth!!! If you need to check that your price is right then ask the people that matter.....your guests! I am regularly told I should charge more!

16. Offer a 10% discount to returning guests. Tell them on departure to set a good tone. Helps with reviews as well.

17. If you are starting off with a listing and want to go the extra mile, then give guests a bottle of wine on arrival. It makes a huge difference.

18. If possible, try and provide a few biscuits etc for afternoon tea when guest arrive. It makes a huge difference.

19. Clean, clean and clean your listing..............most bad reviews are left because of cleanliness reasons.

20. Iron T towels.....seems silly but looks good. 

I hope that has helped a few people. Please add your own ideas for us but remember the ones listed above a a few of my things and does not mean everyone has to do it.

49 Replies 49
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I specially liked #15. "Stick to what you believe your listing is worth!!! If you need to check that your price is right then ask the people that matter.....your guests! I am regularly told I should charge more!"

Along those lines, I also ask every one of my guests how they liked this or that aspect, or what they like to see implemented. I write it down and implement it.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great list here @Angus-and-David0. Thank you for compiling this and sharing it here in the Community Center. I think there will always be a differences in the way each host hosts, but it is so interesting to see what things you believe are important for success as a host and there are some real gems on your list. 

Are these tips things you have compiled over quite a long time? 

Thanks again.

What do others think? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Angus-and-David0

Great advices.

One questions:

Item 13 - Do you get many bookings that comes from Instagram indeed and social media. Can you tell roughly the percentage?

Hi mate. I have had a few, maybe only a few percent.

It is not my main source of income so don't worry too much. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Angus-and-David0

Good, sound advice. I already do most of the things you suggest, but will definitely give the others a go as well as there are a few I hadn't thought about, like mentioning the 10% discount for returning guests on departure. Even if they have no plans to return to that location soon, I'm sure it makes a nice final impression.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

And I just had a look at your listing. It's obvious you really pay attention to the details and it's obvious that pays off from your amazing reviews!

Thanks Huma.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Good advice but I think number 9 is up for debate. If you have a hard time filling the calendar, it will certainly help as many places do not accept dogs. But if you are busy enough without it, it is a lot of issues avoided. Dog hair. Mud. Poo in the garden. Damage. Smell. Dogs on furniture. Scratch and chew. Wet dog shaking inside. Slobber. A cocked leg. An accident. A panicked dog left alone in strange place.

Having said that, I love dogs and have one. But I still don't want my guests to being them. Don't let mine in the accom either, she is a hairy drooler and best left at home.

Also number 7: Each day? Do you? I tell them I am available if they need me, and leave them to it. The next message they get from me is after check out when I thank them for staying. Unless it is a longer stay, in which case I will check in with them mid stay. I am too afraid of disturbing guests, they might be napping, having dinner, whatever.  Having phone peace.

We are pet friendly but limit it to 2 dogs with permission for more.  We have a space for the pets when un-attended.  We have also included a mandatory pet policy.  If owners or their pets screw up the place put it in the review and require a fee. It is no different than a 3 year-old drawing on the walls.  If people mess stuff up they need to fix it and I’m very strict on pets in human beds - that is a big no-no in travel etiquette!   You’re not just a host you are a teacher.  I have some jpegs on our listing that show the wording for the pet thing if you want it.  

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

There’s a lot of good stuff here and I agree with @ Sandra. 

I like putting a bottle of good mineral water San Pellegrino and the like, not everyone drinks wine.

I have washable eye masks for sleep  to make room extra dark.  Sheets that are a really nice stretchy fabric that doesn’t need ironing. 

Different pillows, soft- firm so guests can choose.

Linda-And-Greg0
Level 3
Castro Valley, CA

This is a great and helpful list.  I'm also compiling the list of things that guest ask for privately (it's typically the new travelers that don't know to read the ammenities. ) and not take it personally.  Example, we are hosting a travel trailer and do not allow use of the propane stove or have more that a tea kettle and microwave for cooking.  Last guest said, privately, it would be perfect if we added a toaster.  Adding a toaster is a fire hazard and getting burnt toast smell out of a trailer is very difficult.

Sally4
Level 6
Snoqualmie Pass, WA

This post was what I was looking for when I started Air BnB, over 3 years ago, and lines up pretty effectively with my own experiences.  

Cotton sheets that are smooth and pristine white, are something my guests frequently comment on. I spray them with linen spray to get the appearance of my sheets being ironed, but occasionally touch the hem up with an iron, and a pressing mat (important) while on the bed.

I also have a collection of books on local history, on bird/plant/mushroom identification,  and on the local recreational opportunities, such as fly-fishing, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing,  and gold panning. I also have a couple of books with essays, for shorter recreational reading.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Angus-and-David0  Well written list of Hosting Tips.  It is obvious you put a lot of thought and care into hosting your lovely apartment.  Thank you for sharing.  Austrailia is on my "Bucket List" and I'll be booking your place if I ever get the chance to head that way.

and you will be made most welcome.