Using Smart Home tech to better manage your listing

Nadir4
Level 1
California, United States

Using Smart Home tech to better manage your listing

Hi everyone,

I’m new to Airbnb hosting and I was wondering if anyone has used smart home tech with their listing and their expierence managing their listing.

thank you,

N

3 Replies 3
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

I think haveing a home tech is 1)expensive 2)do you have the time to teach the guest 3) most of the time guest don't follow the rules, thank you for sharing you gave me and idea Iam working something with my iPad that guest can use

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Nadir4 I have a few items that are defined as ‘smart’ installed in my listing. First, get an electronic keypad door lock with WiFi interface. I purchased Schlage zwave lock. It’s a great set up and it doesn’t have a monthly subscription fee like other locks. Second, the thermostat should be WiFi and ‘smart’. I installed the Ecobee thermostat and it saved me about $400 a month in electric bills. I control the AC and heating system remotely and the guest can’t max out the heat or ac, which saves me money and wear and tear on the systems. I like the idea of ‘keen vents’ but they are not smart enough yet. They need an integrated motion sensor to open and close them. My plan is a WiFi garage opener and the funniest thing I saw was a WiFi crockpot. 

Graeme14
Level 2
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

I considered a WiFi enabled lock - in the end I opted for the low tech master lock key safe - I'd space to mount this at the front door - works really well for me.

Hive or Nest work really well in conjunction with smart meters (fitted at zero cost by my energy supplier) in between guests I can remotely manage the temperature of the house to help control costs.

I'm sure that with the addition of open API by Airbnb there will be lots of startups offering new products and services to hosts for further automation.

Happy hosting!

Graeme