problematic stays

Shoshana0
Level 1
Austinmer, Australia

problematic stays

HI there, I recommended airb&b to my sister and her partner who were looking to get out of Sydney for a few days as she's recovering from surgery. They've just spent the first of four nights at a little place at Burrill lake and last night the fire alarm kept going off and interrupted their sleep all night. My sister spent the best part of today catching up on the missed sleep while her partner tried to open and deal with the problematic fire alarm. The host didn't know what to do and has called an electrician who has not turned up yet and given my sister's need to rest and recover, which is why they took the b&b in the first place, they don't want to risk another night and day like today. is there any way they can get a refund for the next 3 nights given it's all gone pear shaped and it's not their fault?

Thanks

Shooshi

2 Replies 2
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Keep all conversation with the host through the airbnb platform.  Also make a cancellation through airbnb and they will have a refund based on the cancellation policy to the host.  Further refund has to be negotiaded through the host.  Remember to keep the communication through airbnb in case of dispute.

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Shoshana0 - As you know, your sister (account holder) needs to contact ABB and alert them to the problem. The host is trying to sort the problem out, which is all she can do. But if that is affecting your sisters stay and sleep and they want to be re-housed / cancel and be refunded they need to act fast and state that they do not feel confident that the situation will be resolved and don't wish to take the risk of another bad nights sleep. They may struggle to get a refund for the first night, but might get the remaining nights refunded. Which the host is unlikely to challenge as she was unable to fix the problem immediately and it still remains.