Cockroaches and refunds

Answered!
Brian311
Level 2
Valletta, Malta

Cockroaches and refunds

We have a guests staying for about 2 weeks, half way through their stay they are complaining that there are cockroaches in the house. Our properties are on an island (tropical weather), therefore a cockroach entering the house is not unheard of, although we haven't had any complaints whatsoever this year.

They called this evening, after a series of  'coincidental series of events' that I wouldn't like to go through here...

In any case I explained that we have no control over cockroaches entering the house and that I can spray the house tomorrow morning. I feel there is nothing more to do. However the guests are indicating that they will probably leave tomorrow to go to a hotel and I'm assuming that they will request a refund.

I don't feel they are entitled to any sort of refund in this case, however I wanted to get some feedback.

What are your views?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Jason1364
Level 3
Chuluota, FL

I live in central Florida, 40 year resident.  

Have killed 1000 roaches in my lifetime. Have de-infested rental homes myself. A properly sealed, dry, and treated home should not show more than one roach in a weeks time.  

If a guest encounters more than one rogue cockroach in a week, then the host has a problem with sealed, dry, or treated. Period.  

Occasionally one large one may be able to sneak in for the night, but more than that and you have a disgusting problem that requires sealing, drying, and treating.  Refund $ then go seal, dry, and treat the property before renting it again

View Best Answer in original post

72 Replies 72
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I and my neighbors have tried those ultrasonic pest repellers and they didn't work. I put one in my storeroom where I had a bat nesting. The bat moved CLOSER to the device.

I do not appreciate your rude implied accusation that I am lying. They DO work, as I clearly stated they quickly and efficiently rid my house of spiders, and I've also seen them have an immediate effect on rats and mice. 

However, I have never seen a single one that advertises as being useful to repel bats.

They work on rats, mice, spiders, ants, roaches, mosquitoes, beetles, etc. They do not say they work on bats. So maybe read the directions before purchasing next time?

@Jaquelynn0  if you want to take my saying that I tried something and that it didn't work for me as a "rude implied accusation that I am lying" I'd say you are taking it much too personally. I had no such thought, that you were lying.

A bat is a rodent, so I figured it they are supposed to work on mice and rats, why not bats? And I didn't purchase, was given to me by a neighbor who bought a box of them, so I had no directions to read. No need to be so snotty.

BTW, they didn't work for my neighbors either, for spiders, mice or anything. Maybe they just bought a bad batch that didn't work as advertised.

Ultrasonic/Electromagnetic Pest Control/Repellers don't work. Since 2003 the FTC required the makers and marketers of these devices to provide support for their claims. They haven't. The FTC also prohibitted all the companies accused in a complain (Riddex, Jr and Plus, Pest-A-Cator, Too!, Plus and Too! Plus, PestVacator 800 and 1500,  etc. from making unsubstantiated efficacy representations for any pest control device, specifically, the order prohibits any pest control product of their kind to state that it repels, controls, drives away or eliminates, temporarily or indefinitely, mice, rats, cockroaches, or any other insects or animal pests, and that it does so in any area of a certain size, or that is an efective alternative to, or eliminates the need for, chemicals, pesticides, insecticides, exterminators, or any other pest control product or services, or that will alter the electromagnetic field, send a pulsating signal, or otherwise work inside the walls of through the wiring of homes or other buildings in a manner that effectively repels, controls, drives away, or eliminates pests. 

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Now that I've read this entire thread I feel well prepared for any visits I may make to the tropics with expectations that match reality. And if I go to Oklahoma I will know that cockroaches are an anomaly and represent a dirty home. 

I live in the country surrounded by woods with mice as my neighbors. I have consistent 5 star reviews for cleaning but live in constant fear  that a mouse may make an unannounced visit. 3 years and the mice seem to know when an Airbnb guest is here and have stayed away. 

Still - the potential exists. The thought of a guest finding evidence of a mouse scares the heck out of me, creating visions of banishment to the land of the bad review. The idea of a supersonic repellant intrigues me. Has anyone  else experienced success with these devices regarding rodents?

Jude

Get the plug in wall outlet device called PEST. You won’t ever have another mouse. We use them in Seattle as we live in the woods … change them every three months. They are a god send!!

It’s called Plug in Pest Free”. We order online. 

Yu26
Level 2
Kamigyo Ward, Japan

I had a horrible experience regarding cockroachies. I was freaked out and screaming when I watched one dying and shaking in the bathroom.  I thought it was an isolated incident and this is not going happen again. But in the next early morning, when I tuened on the light I saw some are roaming on the wall one after another. I was losing it and kept on screaming for the nightmare, but I had to get dressed as quicky as possible for the day trip but as soon as I went down to the floor, one of them ran through my feet. That was disgusting ever.  I dont remember how many of them running around in the room as they are quick and kept on showing up and disappearing. 

I did claim this nightmare to the host and Airbnb. But the host said its because of my food I ate in the room. But I have a common sense not to drop food to attract such a huge number of cockroachies. 

This is unbelievable but Airbnb turned down my request, partial refund, because I did not take pics of them!!! So there is no evidence!!! Who could take a pic of something that you really really hate?!?!

I simply cannot believe all of this. I occasionally have a nightmare about the cockroachies running around in the room and wake up screaming. 

If thats only 1, I could probably torelate it by compromising...but 5-ish of them running around in your room (and on my feet) that you pay for?? I never ever get it. Its no longer comfy room its a punishment room. 

Does anybody has idea to make the situation somehow better? 

Where was the location/country and what time of year was it?
Julie875
Level 1
Manchaca, TX

I am in a bungalow right now on Merrit Island, Florida. It's a small little cabin, built in 1932.  I grew up in Houston and am used to some roaches, however they terrify me. I rented this cabin with my mom as we are here for her sister's funeral. We walked into the cabin tonite after a hard sad day, and in the first 30 minutes have to kill 4 XL roaches. 

So my question to Hosts is this: What's the number? How many does it take that you would feel comfortable refunding some of the payment? 

It stands to say that if I see 4 in 30 minutes, I could easily see many more. Have contacted the host and she is sorry for the situation, but I'm not sure what to do now. I will sleep with my eyes open as I am terrified one is going to crawl across me. 

It's the volume in this case, 4 in 30 minutes. This is unacceptable to me. I'm here for the next 8 hours with the lights out. Or not, as I'll probably sleep with them all on.

I can't leave tonite, my mom is 85 and just buried her sister. She needs her rest. 

But the question remains - how many roaches are too many for a host? 4 roaches in 30 minutes are too many for me. What is the number for hosts? 

thank you all

Coln0
Level 10
George Town, Malaysia

I believe it is the host's attitude while attending to the problem that matter. I had few times having guest complain about cockroaches and ants, and none of them gave me rating less than 4, mostly were still 5 stars, as I usually response fast and try my best to settle it, which guests can see and appreciated,

Pamela356
Level 2
Saint Paul, MN

Normal to have roaches. ?? I do not agree. Now Staying on a tropical island I have been here many times. Never have had roaches  in hotels or  rented homes. Well they are here in this apartment and they are huge. In the kitchen I could deal with it.  However they are in the bedroom and it is gross.Just killed one climbing on my clothing. I find this NOT normal At this point I am not able to pack up and check out. Have traveled the world stayed in some very basic places in tropical regions this is the first time I have roaches as roommates.Rented on Airbnb. I have three days left. I would expect some compensation Have yet to discuss. Yes there are all sorts of creatures bugs etc in the tropics but huge roaches in an apartment not normal very disgusting and they should get some compensation as I hope to as well. It is disgusting. Routine fumigating might help eliminate. 

JuanCarlos210
Level 1
Santa Marta, Colombia

It is a nightmare of any host.Things happen so how host can manage the situation is important.Showing respect and action.Sometimes actions are a deep cleaning up, an apologized, %refund.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Does someone know if a net can prevent them entering? I was planning to put it to all windows in spring. Personally I can’t tolerate huge black flying!  cockroaches and ants in my home, but here they seem to be usual in some months of the year. May be tropical hosts have some tips how to deal with it? 

@Yulianna0  Cockroaches and ants crawl and can get through the tiniest space. I agree that cockroaches ar disgusting, ants not so much.  I think of ants as nature's cleaners, they are attracted to crumbs of food, dead bugs, and eat them or carry them away. And they don't carry disease, so I'm not so fussed about them.

Of course, window screens will keep out flying insects, as for the crawling one, you have to seal the bottoms of the outside doors. You can purchase door sweeps that are rubber and attach to the bottom of the door, that make a tight seal between the floor and the door so nothing can crawl through. 

But here in the tropics, my doors are open almost all the time, so that's a moot point. 

Ants dislike crossing a line of powdered cinnamon, so you can sprinkle some on window sills and doorways. Smells good, is non-toxic, and can be easily vacuumed up. There are also ant baits you can buy and gels you smear on a jar cap and leave in the bottom of cupborads, etc. which the critters are attracted to, they eat it or carry it back to the nest and it kills them.