Guest unfairly claiming full refund through dispute resolution

Juliet1
Level 3
Cardiff, United Kingdom

Guest unfairly claiming full refund through dispute resolution

Hi all!

My guest cancelled at midnight on day of arrival after initially checking in and being happy with the house.

Location is Peak District. House is brand new, well insulated with a Hive thermostat and new boiler serviced last week. I stay there myself and it’s snug! 
I turned up the heating to 22 degrees at her request. She also had access to the heating control thermostat if she wished to control the heating herself.
She reported two dead flies near an upper floor window and said she had a bad experience with a cluster fly infestation at her previous property and it had made her cautious.
After a courteous exchange, she unexpectedly cancelled the booking claiming the house was too cold, and that she was scared of another cluster fly infestation because of her previous experience. She also said she’d washed the bedding because she had a dust allergy. She didn’t explain why she’d felt she needed to wash the freshly laundered bed linen. 
My cleaners are a professional firm and exemplary.
Now she is asking for a full refund through dispute resolution.
I’m happy to give her a discretionary partial refund out of good will but wanted to reach out for advice as I’ve never had a situation like this.

PS I am a long-standing Superhost but have temporarily lost my status as I had to cancel a booking for Feb next year in another property in Italy that I am selling.  Airbnb have promised to reinstate me when I upload the sales documentation as evidence of the sale.
Many thanks
Juliet

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Juliet1 

I am not quite sure what your question is regarding this situation. However, in your situation I would only consider any sort of refund IF you are able to rebook any of the dates.

Your listing was as advertised so there is no reason for you to refund in these circumstances.

Juliet1
Level 3
Cardiff, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen. I was thinking of giving quite a generous refund but now I’m thinking about the £500 I spent last week on Hive installation, boiler service and professional cleaning so I’m sending all those receipts to the support team

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Juliet1 stick to your policy and do not refund at this stage . Fear of an imaginary happening is not covered as a reason to leave. If you wish to refund part of the stay and think you can recoup if the listing opens again then go ahead when Airbnb contacts you .If the guest cancelled and the tried to manufacture an imaginary reason then you really do not need to refund , its your choice. H

Juliet1
Level 3
Cardiff, United Kingdom

Thanks @Helen744 @and @Helen3  😊