Guests left saying house damp

Answered!
Majella4
Level 2
Goresbridge, Ireland

Guests left saying house damp

Guests came to house on 20th Sept, we didn't have guests for over a month, due to Civid developments etc. in our country.

They appeared a lovely couple, weather had been very good, and house was clean, aired etc. I informed them if any issues I was only adjacent to the house and I will try and sort their queries.They arrived 2 hours before check in, this was not an  issue for us. The gentleman was out in the garden under the sun, which appeared to be normal.

That evening, they were driving in and our of our gateway, ( again normal, as most young people head out and get takeaway and return to house),  then we noticed they backed car up to the door, and left, we then noticed keys left in door, didn't know if they had left or not. Then received message about an hour later to say they had left and house was damp and it stank, which we were not happy to hear and that they headed to a hotel.

I messaged back to say sorry to hear this, that the house was not damp, possible cleaning agent smell,  but that I couldn't get any smell and said  to come to me if any issues and that I would try and rectify ( this is said to all guests), and that I would have offered our other house to them. He wrote back a few hours later, acknowledging the house was not damp or any cleaning agent smell and that he didn't away to bother me with it.

I wrote to Airbnb help desk, during this time, before getting last message from guest, messaged back that they would get in touch shortly. Waited by computer as received no update. Sunday, I tried Airbnb help desk, again the same message, that an expert would contact me back. By the following Thursday,  5 days later, I phoned them, again the lady said, that she could see this was  been dealt with and that she would  add not to my issue for an expert to contact back urgently, still no one rang or contacted my.

Today I wrote again, and again, informed I will be contacted soon. Now my guest as written a review, I am worried that it may be quite negative, as I was not given a chance to rectify issue with guest, and any guidelines from Airbnb. We are quite upset about this.

1 Best Answer
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Majella4  sorry this happened. Reminds me of a recent Irish host whose guests did the same sort of thing citing spiders in her cottage. I wonder if there are some scammers afoot?

All you can do if they leave a poor review is respond factually and even-handedly. "Guest checked in and left that evening. They alerted us to dampness in the house saying they were headed to a hotel. We were puzzled but offered to meet with the guest to rectify any issues. Guest then said that the house was not damp, but apparently did not want to stay further as we heard nothing after this communication. We strive to make all of our guests happy, but unfortunately sometimes we have a guest who is not a fit. "

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

There's no point in getting all worried about getting a bad review, when you did the best you could and you have no idea whether the guest will leave a review at all, let alone a bad one. Cross those bridges when you come to them, don't let "what ifs" take up residence in your brain and emotions.

But here's a little advice- forget the diffusers, air fresheners, scented dryer sheets- anything like that that you think smells good, because what smells good to you doesn't to everyone- you should try to make your Airbnb space as scent-free as possible. There are guests with asthma, with allergies, and sensitivities to chemicals, and even if they don't suffer from those things, they may just not like them. Also, when a place is scented, it can make people think you are trying to cover up some bad smell, like mold. Go for "neutral" as far as smell goes, and opening the windows so fresh air blows through just before guests arrive is a good idea, too.

@Erika704

Thank you so much. Lesson learned. 

Clare394
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi all. I've just had a similar upsetting experience. A guest booked for a month but left after one night stating she could smell damp. We couldn't smell any damp and there isn't anything visible. We've not had any complaints before. 

Airbnb have refunded her 100% which means we don't get paid for the one night or our cleaning fee. It feels unfair as Airbnb have not investigated the issue or asked for proof. It's her word against ours. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Actually it's not your word against theirs @Clare394 

Airbnb should have followed the process in their T&Cs and have the guest approach you initially to see if the issue they complained about could be resolved before considering a cancellation.

Did they do this? If not I would confirm to them that you didn't authorise a refund, that there are no problems with damp (can you evidence this from previous recent bookings). and therefore you still expect to be paid in full in line with the long term booking conditions the guest booked under.