Help with Tactful Pricing Adjustment for Returning Guest with Special Request

Answered!
Justin1525
Level 2
Sandy, UT

Help with Tactful Pricing Adjustment for Returning Guest with Special Request

Hello Airbnb community,

I could really use some advice on how to handle a pricing oversight with a returning guest.

A previous guest booked a 2-month stay from mid-January to mid-March 2025 after reaching out to let me know they were considering these dates. They’re wonderful guests from Australia who ski in Utah each year (where I’m located), and I’d love to continue hosting them in the future.

Before booking, they requested that I put up a queen-sized bed in the third bedroom to better accommodate their group for the 50-60 day stay. I checked an estimated payout on the Airbnb app and decided it would be worth the extra effort and cost to replace two bunk beds with a queen bed for their stay.

However, after they booked last night, I realized I had inadvertently applied a 25% discount, mistaking the total booking amount for my payout. This discount significantly cuts into my expected revenue, especially during ski season, which is my busiest period. Given the cost of adjusting the bedroom setup and purchasing a new bed, the booking no longer makes financial sense.

I’m committed to honoring the reservation, but I feel I need to have a conversation with the guest about not being able to provide the queen bed without additional funds. I want to address this carefully to preserve the relationship, as I’d love to have them return in the future.

How would you approach this situation with the guest? I’d appreciate any advice on how to communicate this tactfully and balance both sides fairly.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Top Answer
Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Just explain your mistake to them, as you have here. Say you will have to add an additional amount, to make the income viable for you in recognistion of agreeing to their request. If they are decent people, they will agree. It was somewhat cheeky of them to ask you to purchase new furniture especially for them, so they should be prepared to make concessions, just as you did for them.

View Top Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Justin1525 have you tried Facebook marketplace?  I am sure you could find a cheap bed here

@Mike-And-Jane0 I will definitely consider marketplace if they decide to accept my proposal. I appreciate your response!

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Just explain your mistake to them, as you have here. Say you will have to add an additional amount, to make the income viable for you in recognistion of agreeing to their request. If they are decent people, they will agree. It was somewhat cheeky of them to ask you to purchase new furniture especially for them, so they should be prepared to make concessions, just as you did for them.

@Fiona256 I decided to respond to them and did indeed propose an additional amount be added to the reservation. I'm hoping they will accept the proposal but I haven't heard back yet. Thank you so much for the response! I'm feeling so much better about things and as a result of this mistake have identified a potential opportunity to modify my monthly discounts by the month to hopefully attract more guests in my off season. Thanks again.