How can I stop guests ignoring the check in time?

Answered!
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How can I stop guests ignoring the check in time?

I really don't want to have to put it in CAPITALS at the beginning of my listing, as that's not very welcoming, but I am starting to get frustrated that so many guests simply ignore my check in time (3pm). It is in my listing and house rules, which I ask them to read.

Check out (12 pm) doesn't seem to be a problem. Occasionally a guest asks if they can leave bags and pick them up later, which is fine, but most leave earlier than noon with no fuss.

Check in is another matter. I would say that the majority of my guests want to come earlier. Some politely ask if that is an option, or if they can drop their bags earlier. Unfortuntely, a lot just assume they can come straight from the airport/train station and wouldn't have bothered to even communicate this to me had I not asked.

I always message them to ask what time they will arrive (the majority don't offer this information without a prompt). Even when I stress in my message that check in is from 3 pm onwards, they still respond saying, "We'll be arriving at 11 am." So, it's not that they don't know check in is after 3, they just simply don't seem to think it matters.

Even at a five star hotel with 24 hour reception, this is usually not okay.

Any tips for how I can prevent this? What am I doing wrong?!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0

I too have rooms in my home and I have to say this has never happened to me in a year and a half of hosting. I am not saying this will solve your issues, but this is what I do.

1. I don't confirm a booking until the guest provides me with a time in line with my check in time ie after 6p.m. during the week. If they are flying in I ask for their flight details.

2. If they want to arrive earlier I give them details of left luggage in the city centre

3. The day before I sent further details and confirm their check in time. I remind them of local cafes and pubs they can use if their plans change and they arrive a bit earlier. I ask them to message me on the day if they are likely to turn up after the agreed check in time.

You shouldn't have your whole day ruined by guests who behave like this. As you've learnt there is no benefit to you in agreeing early check in. Guests will always try and take advantage. As a host you need to be firm and polite and remind them that your check in time is XXX and that as an exception you agreed at no cost that they could leave their baggage much earlier.  You have plans for the day including cleaning of the house, so aren't able to have guests.

Point them in the direction of the tube stations and local cafes/bars and say that you look forward to seeing them later at the agreed check in time.

View Best Answer in original post

192 Replies 192

Eu também faço o mesmo que o Zacharias faz, cobro uma taxa adicional para o check-in adiantado e para o check-out tardio.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Huma0

I started asking them something like this:

If still quite a while off I'll simply state check-in window and check-out as part of their booking confirmation as well as any other point that's important.

If it's closer to the booking I'll ask them right after booking:

I'll  be back home from check-in time on as stated, which is from 14:00 on, however I will need to know approximately what time you'll be arriving, so that I'm not out running an errand the moment you arrive.

I know that many hosts don't mind earlier arrivals, but for me it really infringes on my privacy, and I also can't easily accommodate the earlier arrivals. And even dropping off luggage earlier or picking it up later infringes on the time I have for myself and my work as well as making me wait twice on them and not being able to use my time productively. And then usually also letting them use my own bathroom.It's just completely impractical with how I live and the apartment set up. Plus I was never really properly free mentally and physically from my guest past their 'check out', and it was taking its toll on my pleasure in hosting.

So after the last oh-so-sweet-but-annoying guest of my first hosting year (came back and repacked at 6pm and then I called her a taxi a full hour later) I broke down and drew a big fat line in the sand.

There's tons of luggage lockers at the train station, so now officially I am simply not back at home earlier than my check-in and there will be a good reason why I can't extend check out or hold luggage. Sounds harsh, but I'm not willing to help guests save a few euros anymore, not on my time as part of my nice-price accommodation. AND I 

Every now and then somebody won't react with an arrival time, so I send them another message a day or so beforehand to the tune of:

Unfortunately, I still need to have your approximate arrival time yet. Please understand that even though I'd love to offer a walk-in reception like a hotel, I can't and have to run a couple of errands in the afternoon. So if I don't hear back from you and I'm not home the exact moment you arrive, just call or text me and I'll be back under 15 minutes. Thanks and looking forwar.....

I got that tip from another host (although in their version the distance was an hour's drive), and the couple of times I've resorted  to using it, I got a reaction very quickly!

In my listing I have a sentence that says that earlier check in might be able to be arranged for an extra  charge of 10 euros per full hour, but that they please inquire beforehand about this. If somebody's serious, they'll ask and mention the charge, then they'll get it. If they don't mention the charge and only earlier check in, then I consider it a no go.

Once I offered this from my side, but the girls didn't want to spend the money and I got a 2 for arrival on that one.

Several times in the past I said the room wasn't ready earlier, and that's when the weedling started - baggage drop off, use the bathroom. This is so tiring and the only way around this for me now is really "I'm not home earlier."

Important though is to repeat the check in time right after booking because guests don't read or remember what was in the listing, especially if they're on a Europe-in-10-days-trip.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea9 thank you. You've given me a lot to ponder.

Yes, it is an infringement on our time. I have also had the guests where I say yes, fine you can come and drop off your luggage earlier, but then they turn up and say they need to use the bathroom to freshen up, need somewhere to change clothes etc. I am probably still cleaning and tidying at this point so it's very far from ideal.

I will get stricter from now on!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Huma0

..."they turn up and say they need to use the bathroom to freshen up, need somewhere to change clothes etc. I am probably still cleaning and tidying at this point"...

and there have been other hosts posting something similar and later being slammed in the review with the remark that the room wasn't ready yet upon arrival.

I had to slowly learn to think of myself as having a small business and every stance I take and enforce (or not) is out of that position.

I imagine how a hotel representative would act - friendly, formulating things in the interest of the guest but not allowing herself to be inched backwards over her own border line. That's why I don't explain in detail anymore why something is not possible or difficult. I give a reason or explanation that they simply have to accept. It took a while since I am at heart an honest person. Until I realized that the pure truth leaves too many footholds for guests to try to negociate or see as unfair or inflexible.

If you wish to add a charge, go to your booking and click on "change/cancel", then "change" and you can change dates, # of guests, and overwrite the automatically calculated amount to what you need. If your guest tells you before checking out they want to book extra hours, tell them no problem, let's do this right away. Change it on your device and have them accept it on their device before heading out. 

I had to only change something once like that after a check out and was able to do it later in the day. But maybe that has now changed (as in not possible once guest has checked out).

Many hosts advise to add charges through the Resolution Center. I personally advise against this, because you have only one chance for this with each booking. Means you won't be able to use it later on in case you really need to resolve something thru the RC for damages etc.

@Huma0   I had that problem a few times. Now, I send them the name, location, phone number and weblinks to baggage storage places along with the Check-in and Check-out times.  This seems to focus their attention and they always take time to respond.  Since I started doing this I have not had one guest turn up unannounced.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Here we go again. Messaged guests to ask for their ETA, stressing that check in was from 3 pm. They said they were landing at the airport at 10 am and could they drop off their bags first. I said ok. Now, it turns out they are landing 1 hour 20 minutes earlier, but they didn't think to tell me (luckily I messaged again to confirm arrival time otherwise I wouldn't have known). I guess they were thinking they would show up, expecting me to be here because I'm psychic, obviously.

@Ange2 @Andrea9 I'm definitely going to follow your advice. When I send the pre-arrival message I will say that early check in/bag drop off can sometimes be arranged for an additional fee, otherwise here are links to some left luggage options...

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Huma0 Yep, thinking we hosts have nothing else to do but hang around waiting!

See how the offer of a fee works for you.  Depending on the guest they might see it as a way a hosts simply wants to make extra money and resent it. That's why after a low arrival rating due to this my offer is now in my description and again in my house rules, but if a guest doesn't address me on it I tell them I won't back at the apartment before my check-in time. Discussion over.

It hasn\t happened yet, but if they ever decide to negociate I can tell them that I'll be away in a work-related matter and if they are willing to pay a charge for me to take it upon me the re-arrange it all I'd look into it.

I suppose you'll have to take this whole thing a bit at a time and see what works best for you and your style, and you'll probably find yourself turning the screw slowly a bit at a time..

Keep us updated how it works out. Always nice to hear other's feedback for my own  learning curve!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Andrea9, yes that was something I was worried abut. I don't want the guests to feel I am trying to rip them off and for that to be reflected in their reviews/ratings. I just want a bit of consideration for my time!

I told the guests mentioned above that, as they were arriving earlier than they had originally told me, could they please text en route so I could be in to receive them. They said yes, but now they are stopping a few places on the way (?) so won't be early, but now I actually have no idea when they will arrive, which is even worse!!

Perhaps your way of simply saying no, sorry I won't be there is far simpler...

Charles88
Level 4
Durham, NC

I have keyless entry and they can't get in until after 3 pm.  I tell them this.  So if they show up early they know the door won't open until after 3 pm.  This gives them 24-hour check-in AFTER 3 pm.  I have only had one person ask for early check in and I just told them to add the extra day via the website and I would set it up.  They said they could wait.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Charles88, yes I think that makes sense if you are not living at the property and don't feel the need to be there when guests check in. Personally, as they will be staying in my home with me, my housemate and my cats, I want to meet them to make sure they seem okay, run through a few house rules (I do ask them to read these in advance, but they rarely do) and make sure they are comfortable and settled in. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be stricter about the check in time though!

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0 @Andrea9

Yes a 'keyless' entry is totally out of the question when it is your private home! The last thing you need is stangers just opening your front door whenever it suits them. Could not consider that for a second!

Huma, it's a psychological thing which you are never going to break.....This person has paid money to be in your space, (be it a hotel, trailer park, resort, or private home) and in their mind it is not important to them...the space is theirs, the reservation has been made! It's up to them when they want to avail themselves of it.....You can see that can't you?

Maybe you can tell them that you need to be specific with arrival times because you would not want to be feeding the alligators in the lake in the front yard when they arrive. Alligators have been known to be aggresive to humans around feed time!!! 

Cheers.....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Lol @Robin4, maybe visitors to Australia might buy the alligator excuse, but not sure they'll fall for it in central London. Unless they have a phobia (in which case I doubt they'd stay here), my cats just don't have the same effect. They can't even scare off squirrels!

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0.......Of course it's stupid, alligators anywhere but maybe the 'Everglades' or the Occovango Delta, really....not to mention the fact that we don't have alligators here, we have Crocodiles....remember 'Crocodile Dundee' ....Steve Irwin, the crocodile hunter!

It's a stupid response Huma, of course but, it triggers a ......'what the, do you 'really' have alligators, what the hell am I coming to!!!' answer until they realise you are just having a bit of fun.....once again, you are breaking the ice! But, at that point, it does make them realise that they do need to make a statement about their arrival! And because you have introduced this 'furry' touch they do make a serious attempt at being accurate about their plans....They don't want this 'cool' begining to turn cold!

I have used it a couple of times with a really good outcome each time!

There you go, you thought I was just being humurous didn't you???

Cheers.....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Mmm, @Robin4, I need to come up with my own alternative to alligators. Sure, you don't have them in Sustralia either, but I bet a lot of people don't know that!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I meant Australia of course...