How do you file a complaint against a host?

Answered!
Tammy37
Level 4
United States

How do you file a complaint against a host?

Had a confirmed booking, had already paid, then the host said he wanted $100 in cash on arrival as a surcharge.  We disagreed, but eventually cancelled, since we knew he would eventually cancel us out so he could gouge someone else.  

Because we cancelled, we have to eat the service charge.

Two questions:

1) how do we file a complaint against this host?

2) How can we petition to get the host to eat the service charge?

thanks,

Tammy

Top Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If in the future you should ever need to cancel because of a host issue (it will probably never happen again, but anyway...) call Airbnb FIRST and let them cancel it for you, they will take appropriate action and you will not have to claim back the service charge.

Better to do it that way around, since you have to contact them anyway. If a host cancels, you get full refund and maybe even a little travel credit as a perk and comfort from Airbnb.

The host, on the other hand, gets slapped with a fine which is a reason why hosts do not want to cancel!

I wish all hosts just got on with doing the job we are here to do, rather than trying on a little scam on the side.

Better luck next time!

View Top Answer in original post

313 Replies 313

Hi Sinead - I am in the middle of a sticky problem with an unscrupulous host as well. Airbnb is naturally geared to favouring the host. It is completely unregulated. It won't take responsibility for host actions - even though guests actually contract with Aribnb. I work for a litigation funder - and am considering launching  class action against them by guests who have been financially disadvantaged by Airbnb's lack of accountability. Please email me with your contact details if you'd like to participate. It would be no cost to you. Please email me at ** - I can provide more details.]

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise or share contact details on the Community Center.

I am sorry to hear your experience and read so many complaints on Airbnb posted here. We are hosts ourselves and our experience has tainted our trust and comfort level.

Jason276
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

I recently paid for room through a Airbnb host that made me very uncomfortable.  I never experienced such crudeness and ackwardness.  The constant invasion of privacy and the hands on from the host.  Massaging my legs and neck.... Trying to kiss me..  and patting my head like i was a dog.  The suggestions to hook up and the temper tantrums when i said no.  

I would hate for anyone to feel so uncomfortable that they sleep in their car just to avoid seeing the host.  How do i report this SOB to avoid anyone else being sexually harrassed by him.

@Jason276 You should contact Airbnb right away as this kind of behaviour is not tolerated on Airbnb!  Please see this Help Guide on all the ways to contact Airbnb:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245#M5...

Airbnb will surely remove this person's listing after hearing your story!

Chris525
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

publicly name and shame this person both with airbnb and online too, there are many sites where you can put the name out there as a warning. Also tag the property name and address. Airbnb were excellent when I had a problem, tell them you want compensation as in your money back. Unfortunately this method of rental will always be open to abuse by a few and unfortunately it is always the few who are remembered I am sure there are thousands out there who are excellent hosts, but the few will tarnish the airbnb reputation and way of vacation rentals. Terrible shame

@Chris525 You are probably sitting back laughing... You should never give advice again. This si terrible advice to publicly shame someone without  a lick of eidence. Stop giving advice to people.

Francis95
Level 1
Happy Valley, OR

I just got a similar situation in Vancouver BC, Canada.  I booked the room.  The host replied OK with all charged.  We drove to Vancouver BC from Victoria Cananda.  While driving I got a text from the host said that: "can you stay at my friend's house?" I did not reply.  We got in the location. I called the host, no answer, then text, no reply.  about 10 mis later I got a call from different phone number, the female host called me to inform that my reservation was cancelled without any reason.  Then she hand up.  My family had to cancel the plan of staying a night in Vancouver BC because We could not find a place right away in the Labor Day weekend.  We just went to downtown and left there at evening to drive back to Portland OR.  I wish I have a way to report the host name and the property to help other travellers avoid this location in Burnaby City, Canada.

Hi Francis - I am in the middle of a sticky problem with an unscrupulous host as well. Airbnb is naturally geared to favouring the host. It is completely unregulated. It won't take responsibility for host actions - even though guests actually contract with Aribnb. I work for a litigation funder - and am considering launching  class action against them by guests who have been financially disadvantaged by Airbnb's lack of accountability. Please email me with your contact details if you'd like to participate. It would be no cost to you. Please email me at [Email address hidden as per the community guidelines] - I can provide more details.

@Neil104  please stop spamming the message boards.

Steve323
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

I booked a studio apartment in Estonia on Thursday evening, with Airbnb.. This was going to be my first booking with them, so I was little bit nervous.. Everything went ok , they received there money.. I was really looking forward to it, because I love travelling to new places.. I was in contact with the owner Via WhatsApp, everything was fantastic.. I got home from work Friday evening, then I got this shocking email from " Luke S ". Saying I have broken there " terms of service " , I contacted the owner she didn't no nothing about it.. I decided to call them, when I finally got through this very rude woman put the phone down on me.. I called again and again and again, I finally spoke to something in " customer service ".. She wasn't helpful one bit, she said you have to reply to the email you received.. All I wanted someone to tell me, what have I done so bad which I can't booked anything with Airbnb.. So I sent emails after emails, I went on Twitter " customer service " that hasn't got me no where.. You treated awful, no respect for the person.. They have no " customer service skills " diffenelty what I experience so far.. I'm not letting this drop no no way..

Chris525
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

thats unusual I found them extremely helpful. Google how to get through and complain to airbnb there are a lot of blogs on how to use a different numer than on the website, this is how I dealt with my issue. I did end up talking with somebody in California who could not have been more helpful she got me a full refund plus 3 hotel room chares for one night. My initial contact did not go well as did yours, you need to find alternative numbers where the customer service is better. Personally I would never go airbnb again, the concept is good the hosts are not always some just plain greedy move out while you move in leaving all their things so you have nowhere to put yours, stick to B&B or hotels I certainly will.

Hi Steve - I am in the middle of a sticky problem with an unscrupulous host. Airbnb is naturally geared to favouring the host. It is completely unregulated. It won't take responsibility for host actions - even though guests actually contract with Aribnb. I work for a litigation funder - and am considering launching  class action against them by guests who have been financially disadvantaged by Airbnb's lack of accountability. Please email me with your contact details if you'd like to participate. It would be no cost to you. Please email me at [Email address hidden as per the community guidelines] - I can provide more details.

@Neil104 Stop Spamming th message boards.. 

Steve323
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Screenshot_20170909-123213.pngScreenshot_20170909-123213.png

Sam248
Level 1
Hollywood, FL

I have been asked by a host to lie and pretend I was her uncle to have access to the apartment I had reserved at airbnb ...

the host  never told me about that until I get there ...I decided to leave the place and cancel my reservation ...but the host set me up with the cancelation policy and is retaining my funds .

is this allowed by Airbnb ??