I just yelled at a guest! That's a first!

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I just yelled at a guest! That's a first!

It is summer, busiest time, and here come my crazy stories.

A guest came back with her entire crew well after check out, when the new guests were there, literally there and all started to use the bathroom. I was there greeting the new group when one of the new arrivals approached me to tell me that someone was downstairs and it was really awkward. I ran down and asked them to leave. They were trying to explain that all they needed was a bathroom.

In a complete shock I told them (with my heave Russians accent that gets worse when I am shock) that this is completely not ok. They then proceeded to try to enter my side gate and walk out through my actual property so then I yelled something else, cannot even remember what, probably something like you can not be doing this. Bad reviews were left by both parties promptly.

1 Best Answer
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Inna22 

Absolutely appalling guest behavior. I would have loved to hear you yell at them in Russian!!

Entering the property well after check-out time is never okay! I have not experienced anything quite so heinous, but my worst guests ever attempted to enter my home (shared space) about 30 minutes after check-out, after sitting in their care in my driveway for 30 minutes after check-out. I was very close to the door so I heard them punch in a code and try to enter, then when they realized their code didn't work anymore they knocked. They had the audacity to ask if they could put their dog in my backyard until it was time to check-in at their next Airbnb (about 4 hours). Nope. Nope. Nope.

View Best Answer in original post

48 Replies 48
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Inna22 

Could no locate the "bad reviews" on your profile (?)

@Emiel1 that’s the property I cohost. I thought they were all visible in my profile. 

Emiel1
Level 10

@Inna22 

The profile connected to your community profile is from "alexandra" (?)

It contains 3 listings.

- The first one is hosted by Alex, co-hosted by Alexandra

Also no bad review (as mentioned) located on Alex's profile

- The second one is hosted by Alexandra (no co-host)

- The third one: same

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

This is amazing!  What's more interesting is that they didn't take into consideration that they could have been injured or killed for entering a place without authorization.  I know folks from other countries will argue about the gun laws in the US, but the fact is they are legally available to many people.  Even if they were shot by someone with an illegal weapon, there's no benefit is be "dead right".

@Debra300 she said in her private comments  that she thought the other group would not be checking until three which made zero sense. My regular check-in is at four and she explicitly knew that the next group was checking in earlier (at one) because she wanted to check out later herself. This was all discussed in writing.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Inna22 I'm sorry this happened, and I can agree it's definitely unacceptable. I had something similar happen once where 50% of a couple left at check out time, but one person stayed, and essentially hid. Three hours after check out I noticed him return on camera and attempt to open the door, however his code had expired. I then observed her open the door door and let him in. I contacted them  immediately and told them they needed to leave. No matter how clear you are in your listing regarding check out times or rules, some people are inconsiderate and have poor boundaries. 

My question would be, how was the guest able to enter upon return if it was well after check out? Did they have an entry code that still actively worked or did they not return keys or some item used to enter the home? 

@Jennifer1897 The door wasn’t locked. The new guests were arriving and unloading their car. We were all kind of going back-and-forth

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

Now that's a first Inna, I don't think too many of us would own up to yelling at a guest!

I had one I felt like yelling at once......late afternoon, without asking, he parked his car in our driveway behind mine, and an hour or so later he and his partner were picked up by a friend or relation and went out for dinner leaving me trapped on my property. Ade needed some medication, and I had to jump on my pushbike to get to the chemist and with every push on the pedals I cursed that guest for being so bloody thoughtless.

@Emiel1 

Cut Inna a bit of slack, I host across a couple of sites and searching high and low here won't reveal some of my reviews. There could be a number of reasons her review isn't showing up....if Inna says it, I trust what she says completely, lets just feel for the predicament she found herself in.

Some of these guests think their money entitles them to be complete thoughtless a*..holes!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 you can always put things so eloquently. I am sure you would have found a much better way of expressing yourself in that situation than I did

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

Oh possibly Inna, but you did one think that I could never been capable of doing in my wildest dreams.....

You swore at them in Russian......at times I would love to be bilingual.

Emoji, you are kidding.jpg

Cheers........Rob

Emiel1
Level 10

@Robin4 

Sorry, I do not agree this time. Something is not OK here, i always trust my "sixth sense", so i am leaving of this thread.

@Emiel1 right behind you LOL

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

To be fair @Robin_4 once the guests left at check in time, they were no longer guests when they returned by tresspassers.

@Inna22  I can 't believe how unlucky you are with multiple problem guests. I too would have shouted at these trespassers - their behaviour was unbelievable 

Расслабьтесь и получите удовольствие.

May be you need to take a break - from your last few posts looks liek you are starting to overreact and take it personally. It is just business