Off season = bad guests

Answered!
Roberta150
Level 7
Flagstaff, AZ

Off season = bad guests

I'm a Superhost and have entered into my first off-season.

What I've learned is due to the lower prices because of so many available listings, the guests I've had so far are mostly (not all) horrible compared to high-season, high-paying guests. They seem to have the same mindset of those who want a discount, which is a major red flag for a bad host experience.

I've gone in and blocked off Mon-Wed in January through mid-March when good shoulder-season guests start booking. And I raised my low and high prices to discourage cheap guests from booking the available days. I'm taking a break, and plan on using the time to get long-awaited projects done. For hosts who need the income, I'm so sorry: It's much better to have another source of income during the off-season and enjoy the time off from hosting rather than deal with rotten, cheap guests who may cost you more than the booking fee to let them stay.

You may also make the mistake I made by politely but firmly reminding a guest of the house rules that they were violating - yep, they retaliated with completely unfair star rankings in every category when normally I get all five-stars. Luckily the comment was "Great host!" and I have enough five-stars that theirs was diluted and doesn't affect what shows during a search by future guests - it still shows me as five-stars in all categories.

However, newer hosts with few reviews would be negatively impacted by such reviews which I am convinced are much more likely during the off-season.

1 Best Answer
Mike170
Level 2
Vientiane, Laos

@Roberta150 Love your post.

First, we get, almost without exception, wonderful guests.  

Our high season is December through February/March, when we can get very congested.  We sort of tag along through the rest of the year - but we continue to have a very regular number of guests.  Our price is relatively high, but we offer a very comprehensive package of goodies for it - you could stay with us for a month and never put your hand in your pocket.  Our prices stay the same throughout the year.  We have discounts for a week or a month, but that is it.  

I continually get messages from ABB saying

- why don't we reduce our price? 

- we are  more expensive than other establishments 

- why don't we do instant book? 

- why don't we change some of our criteria (such as minimum two nights booking)?   

I just wish I could reply to them!  

They are not comparing like-with-like!

And we want to remain in control of who comes to stay with us in our home.  

We are not income maximisers:  we are satisficers.

Good luck.  

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45
Cindy201
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

Thank you so much for posting this! Absolutely my own experience in the past couple of low seasons and starting from this year, I've started to leave the listings empty rather than having unappreciative guests to trash my place and listings. A positive life free of negative people is way more important than money!