Star rating for guests

Darcia0
Level 4
Umeå, Sweden

Star rating for guests

For each guest review, a host is asked to give a star rating for the guest's cleanliness and communication.

However, when looking at a guest's profile, the star rating for these aspects is not visible.

How can I as a host see these ratings prior to accepting a booking?

If it is not visible, than what is the value of completing these questions?

110 Replies 110
Georgia13
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Agreed, the rating system is supremely flawed and skewed to benefit the guests and possibly skewer the hosts ratings. I had one guest who loved staying in one of my listings but only gave my 5 star room a 4; when I asked him why he said, " I just never give out 5's, Is that bad on air bnb?". And god forbid you charge the wrong guest for damage to your property- They leave you a bad review in retaliation and there's nothing to be done about it. Worst still I've heard from a trusted source that Airbnb will basically remove detailed negative reviews for a guest if they are having problems booking because of it. I'm still at a 4.7-4.8 but around 6 months ago I noticed an increase in new users, many of which are older and new to the sharing economy in general. Although they don't destroy the place many don't bother to read the listing and judge the unit to unfair standards, e.g there was no lock on the door, older unit, it has stairs, there's noise, there's not enough seating, there's no curtains on the dining room windows, no laundry in the unit- all of these things negatively impacted their stay, compelled them to leave less stars, and yet were all clearly visible in photos or described in the listing that they failed to read. I'm always willing to help a guest out but some of the newer guests think they are entitled to these things versus you are doing them a favor. My last guest apparently thought I was a bellhop and had me make multiple trips to take her food shopping up to the apartment, asked for a blender after booking which was clearly not listed as one of my kitchen Appliences, asked for laundry detergent and dryer sheets to boot, and then to top it all off 2 days into her stay told me I would need to let her other guest into the unit since she would not be back in time to do so herself-told me, not asked( luckily I have a lock box and recently installed a keypad on the front door). More and more I'm being treated like an employee of a hotel. The problem is I am at a loss as to how to communicate this in a review without appearing defensive. In short I feel like we are at a guests mercy and because their star rating isn't visible to us they have very little accountability unless someone breaks from the norm and leaves a detailed review. As far as the "value". rating it's also ridiculous; I live in LA and my 2 bed 2 bath that fits 5 people cost less than a motel with one queen size bed and is on the lower end of the pricing spectrum. At the end of the day I'm still making money during busier months but I feel my lowered rating effected my bookings during the slow seating. Statistically speaking if a listing goes down to 4 stars your bookings go down 40%... Airbnb doesn't care because everyday someone new lists there unit, they are playing the turnover game with no regard for there hosts- it's unfortunate. The guest I described above just reviewed me and as per usual with guests like her I am worried about my rating.

Chantal6
Level 5
Baguio City, Philippines

Hi Sara,

When I have inquiries, I always tell them "be sure to read all the details and house rules on my listing before booking". That is one of the reason I don't want "instant booking" as recommended by Airbnb. I want to be sure the customer knows what he/she is getting. I also have very clear house rules such as "the kitchen is off limit", "no cooking allowed".

90% of my guests leave good ratings.....however there will always be the odd review, written mostly by people who don't read the listing. At least with the reviews you can answer them, as for the ratings it is really up to the guests and we don't see who wrote what!

Worst of all, it is impossible to contact Airbnb regarding issues not listed on their "help".

Chantal

Hi Chantal, 

Just as I suspected the last guest eviserated my listing in a most dishonest way. I don't use insta book either. My listing and house rules are  beyond detailed at this   ... even air bnbs phone app is faulty I can't even fix the mistakes in this paragraph . And calling them is s whole other headache ; once you finally get a hold of them the calls disconnect 90% of the time. point point but it loo

Bill106
Level 1
New York, NY

Claim

Rwaida0
Level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

HI Darcia,

A very valid point, seeing the overall star rating is crucial before making the decision to host or not

Some guests might be a real pain, almost impossible to satisfy.

Im sure Airbnb will reach a point where they have that on their system

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Darcia

In the land of the blind the one-eyed person in king, the reason Airbnb will not allow us access to the Guest star ratings is Airbnb would lose too much control, if I read one more person say that Airbnb are just a "Referral service" I'll vomit.

They manage and control far too many aspect of hosting for that to be true, I’m sick and tired of making lists and pointing out deficiencies in the Airbnb system as have very many other hosts.

The essential point is, Hosts are in an abundant supply, which devalues us and the service we deliver as is evidenced by Airbnb unfair and preferential treatment of Guests and the relentless driving down of prices so Airbnb can build market share on the back of us hosts.

Has the time come to stop calling the people we host “Guests” and start calling them “Customers” the difference is subtle but also profound.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

That is the aboslute truth, " hosts are in abundant supply". Unless anothe company similar to airbnb comes on the scene with similar growth we will continue to be at a guests and airbnbs mercy. If they gave us a littl bit more balance and fairness to work with I guests would began to have a bit more respect and common courtesy for their hosts...And maybe began to b a bit more diligent about reading through the listings. I have many a time suggested that an airbnb representitive come out to the homes and confirm that photos look like the listings and also add their own standard rating system for a listing; that way a guest can't rate  older but cleaner units at the standard of a luxary home or hotel but alas I doubt that will happen precicley for the reasons you descrbed above. I also think the minute you recieve one less than stellar review on a 5 start listing it gives other guests the liberty to nitpick a our homes.  

Que3
Level 1
New York, NY

I took all guest.

I don't usually look Star rating.. Most guest are new.

Also I give good rating cause I want they to give me good rating...like Ebay..

Even Guest broke something, I still give them good rating.

And I can say when I make low price range for slow season, Guest complain a lot and give low rating to me.

They think they pay a lot, But not...

Tal12
Level 1
New York, NY

great questions! 

Georgia13
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

I will say after being on hold for a total of 2 hrs after two phone calls about my problematic impossible to please guest airbnb ended up doing the fair thing this time around by removing her review. Although the 2 hrs I had to spend was two hours I should have been working on other things or enjoying my day; with the amount of money they are making one hour to reach a person is really unacceptable by any normal standard. 

Chantal6
Level 5
Baguio City, Philippines

Hi Sara,

Airbnb is REALLY bad with communication. They should have an email for hosts to contact them directly! When they were still new, it so easy to reach them..... now it is the most time consuming, irritating procedure:(

Chantal

I have the sense from these communications that airbnb is very different in different countries. In Austria and Germany, the airbnb help line staff are prompt, helpful and very pro active.  We have had nothing but good experience, explanations and support.  But it could be a cultural thing -- this is typical for service industries from airlines to insurance companies too. 

So keep contacting your service offices and make sure they know what you need. And the central office. It might help. They can do it right it they want to.

@Georgia13 @Darcia0 @Tal12 @Que3 @Cormac0   and anyone interested in reading this.

Dear Hosts.

I just wanted to pass on a very helpful tip that another 5 Star host gave to me when I first started hosting back in 2015 because I too had an issue of not seeing the guests Stars but only the written reviews.  

I now put the stars IN THEIR REVIEW.  

For example:  If the guests needs a few friendly reminders about rules, I write that in the review and put 4 Stars.  

If the guests is Fun to be Around, then I write that, and say...5 Stars for How much Fun they Are to have in my Home.

If I find the guests isn't making their bed (my house rule)  and leaving trash on the floor, then I write that , and add this....either 3 Stars or 4 Stars in the review for Cleanliness.

About 5 months, I was contacted by a host who actually got a booking request from one of my former guests and he loved how specific I was in my review along with the exact stars of each category.

And if the guest is near perfect, (which happned twice now in April) then I write that and say.....5 Stars in All Categories.  And give reasons why I gave 5 Stars.

One a separate note, I am beyond dumbfounded why a host would give any guests a 5 Star review if they admitted in their CC post here that the guests was messy, broke rules, and disrespectful!  What insanity is that??  For the love of God, be honest!  I want to know how that guests REALLY is should they send me a booking request. 

I'm not sure why I am reading so many hosts admitting that they gave a 5 Star review in the hopes that the guests does the same in return.  Please remmeber that you have no idea what the guests wrote until you write your review?  And if you don't write a review, and the guest does, it wont be posted until AFTER the 14 days review period is over.  And if anyone threatens to give you a bad review, immediately report that to ABB.  Hope this helps you guys.  Perhaps you can start adding stars INTO your review too.  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

thanks for that idea of puting star reviews in the review post. Good idea!

@Dylan-and-Wendy0   Thanks Dylan.  Glad you liked my suggestion about putting stars in the guests review.  Be sure to tag your reply with my name

with  like ------->  @Momi0  in your repllies or I won't get your post delivered to me.  I just happened to stumble upon your post because someone else had tagged me on this thread with their reply.  I will staying at my 6th Airbnb this month, and I will be reviewing the host the same way.  Perhaps once he sees my review, he will implement that idea into his future reviews too.  🙂

EDITED:  to fix typo

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook