Status "not possible" because a request is deemed more important than an inquiry?

Answered!
Niki19
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Status "not possible" because a request is deemed more important than an inquiry?

Hi,

I received an inquiry from someone for 4 nights, and I received a request from someone else for an overlapping period for 3 nights. I received the inquiry first, so I was exchanging messages with the person who sent the inquiry. I preferred this person because they wanted to stay more nights. However before I accepted anything, the status of inquiry was changed into "not possible".

Does this mean that whenever you receive a request, any inquiries you already had running automatically become "not possible"? That seems very unfair because if the inquiry comes in first, I want to decide for myself if I want to offer that person the chance to book. I don't want Airbnb to decide that it's "not possible" to host that person.

In this case it would have been better for me to go with the inquiry person because it would mean one extra night. Not that much, but what if the inquiry was for like 2 weeks, and the request was for 2 days? I would be kind of pissed if Airbnb robbed me of the chance to make the 2 week thing work... Any experience / knowledge?

Thanks,

Niki

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Niki19  I certainly understand that you want greater control over your reservations.  Just so you see another side to this particular aspect of the platform, it is known that many travelers will be sending inquiries to multiple hosts, some seeking to find the best deal and some just exploring.  If you want to "protect" the inquiring traveler, just pre-approve and let them know they have 24 hours to find out what they need and book or the approval will expire.  The dates are held as unavailable during that time.  I have had several travelers find something else while they are carrying on a conversation with me and not even let me know they booked elsewhere.

From the traveler's perspective, if you are ready to book a reservation you would like to complete that process as quickly as possible so you can continue to make plans.  Air BNB must support both sides.  If you want to gamble that the longer reservation is a better deal for you then as previously suggested you decline the request with a message you feel obligated to finish a communication you are having with another traveler and you will get back to them in 24 hours about availability.   This allows the second guest to seek another listing or wait to hear from you.  Seems fair to me.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16

Hi @Linda108, Thanks for your response into my post. Yes, we manage about 300 listings. There was no booking confirmation to get their contact number. May be I should try to send a special offer request for new dates in the future, in that way the status will turn as "special offer" - So guest can see meesages I send. Thanks! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If your guest wanted to book, they would have booked.

I wouldn't bother spending more time on this guest, it sounds like they are wasting your time.