We thought that we had heard everything...until THIS guest!

We thought that we had heard everything...until THIS guest!

We have been renting for almost two years, mostly longer-term rentals, and are proud of having received 23 straight 5-star reviews. We always try to go the extra mile for our guests and take pride in having met their needs, especially when they say so in their reviews.

Recently, we received a 9-day booking from a Spanish man who wanted to take his elderly aunt and his even-more-elderly grandmother to our place in Portugal. The guest insisted on us communicating through an external messaging app, which we usually don't like to do but have done without incident in the past. We agreed, and the messages kept pouring in. He repeatedly asked things which we had already explained to him, such as whether they could check in early, whether there was parking, etc. Even so, he was not our first demanding guest, and so we happily answered all his questions.

This past Monday, he was due to arrive at 11:00 Portugal time (we live in Hong Kong, seven hours ahead), and that's when all the strangeness started. First, he couldn't find our home--despite my having given him very precise directions--simply because he hadn't written the directions down. He sent about 10 messages to me and, I would learn later, to our house manager Mike, and we were both re-explaining to him how to get there. I even sent him the exact quote I had previously sent him on Airbnb showing him precisely how to get there.

Then, when they arrived, they said that they couldn't open the door with the key. This was the first time with over 30 guests (we have also rented out privately, not on Airbnb) that a guest could neither find the home nor open the door. Again, the panic messages started coming in left and right, and so Mike was on his way over there when the guest texted him to say that they had finally figured out how to open the door.

After that, the messages just kept coming: Would someone be coming by every day to change the towels? (No, this is an Airbnb. You are supposed to wash them yourself.) Why is there only one Spanish TV channel? (Because you are in Portugal. But there are over 200 channels, and so surely you can something to watch.) Where are the sponges for the mop? (In the cleaning room where the mop, broom, vacuum and other cleaning products are kept.)

And so on. And so on.

And then, things turned REALLY bizarre. At around 1:50 am Portugal time, I got a text message here in Hong Kong from him in which he claimed that someone had thrown rocks at our window and run away, that it had woken him and his two elderly relatives, that they were terrified, and that they had called the police. Naturally, we were very concerned but also very surprised. Our resort is next to a golf course and not near any main streets, bars, etc. It is patrolled regularly by security, and most of the people who live there are retirees. In over two years since we bought the villa, we have never heard a single story of a break-in or anything remotely like that. It is really a safe, peaceful and quiet community, and so we were more than a little surprised to hear this.

Anyway, the guest told us the police had come but were not very friendly or helpful, and then he started saying that they didn't feel safe, that it was our fault for not having security cameras, and that they were going to move to a hotel. In fact, they had already booked one, he said, and he asked if they could have their money back. So, I told him that I'd see what I could do about getting him a refund, but that I also needed to talk with Airbnb because we had never experienced anything like this before.

Here's where the real strangeness started. While I was emailing the condominium agency at our resort to let them know about this, the guest sent me a photo of a vase that he alleged had been broken by the rock-thrower. But here's what makes that point strange: the vase was on a table inside the house, behind a window which was covered with metal grates on the outside and which had blinds in front of it on the inside. If you understand physics even slightly, then you know that it is physically impossible for a rock to go through a metal grate, a windowpane and a set of blinds--without breaking the window glass--and then shatter a vase inside the room.

He also let it slip that his grandmother had stated that she would have preferred to stay in a hotel, and he then announced that they would be leaving in the morning. I told them that while they were sleeping, I would contact Airbnb to try to look into a refund, and he was showering me with praise about how "kind" I was and promised that he would write us a good review. 

(Wisely, I told him that from there on after, we should do all our correspondence within the Airbnb app so that we have a record of everything.)

I contacted Airbnb that morning by message and was told by a "bot" that they had recorded my case, but then the bot disappeared when I mentioned the refund. So, I decided to wait to call them a bit later in the day, when I was more sure that I could reach an agent.

But then as the day progressed, more things didn't add up. First, when the condominium agency received my message in the morning in Portugal, they immediately contacted the resort security, who then went to check on our guests. However, when they inspected the so-called 'attack area,' they found no rocks around the windows at all and no evidence of any rocks having hit the window or wall. So, when we heard back from the condominium agency, they said that the guest had changed the story to say that no rocks had been thrown but rather that some man had been outside "banging loudly on the metal grates." This, despite the fact that he had already stated several times on both the messenger and Airbnb apps that someone had thrown rocks. 

Next, our house manager Mike visited the villa after the guests had left in the morning and likewise had found no rocks near the window, and so he went around to talk to our neighbours. Not one of them had heard any loud banging that night, and the neighbour closest to us, who can see everything on that side of our home and with whom we share an entranceway, said that he had been up until 3 am and had not only heard nothing of the sort, but that he also had not seen or heard the police come.

By now, of course, we were starting to become very suspicious. And then, when the Airbnb agent and I finally spoke on the phone and I explained the story to her, she likewise seemed skeptical but told me that she would need to forward this to a Case Manager. I was put on hold for quite some time but the Case Manager still didn't come on, and so the agent told me that the CM would call me later. I waited till 11:30 that night and fell asleep on the sofa.

(Side note: The guest and I had continued texting that day, on the Airbnb app, and I just told him that I was still trying to find out what the procedure for doing this was from Airbnb--which was absolutely true. He kept telling me how "kind" and "wonderful" I was.)

When I awoke the next morning, I was surprised to see that the Case Manager had written in detail and had explained very clearly that if a guest checks in and then wants to check out for supposedly "safety reasons," then the guest needs to "provide documentation about their claim," and if the guest cannot provide any such written evidence, then THEY can cancel on their end and the Moderate cancellation policy will apply--meaning the guest would have to pay 50% of the booking fee.

Now, if anyone thinks this is unfair to the guest, please understand: they had booked the room for 9 days during peak season, had already checked in, had already stayed for one night (meaning that if we earn nothing, then we incur the 150 EUR cleaning cost as well as the loss of all the amenities we had put out for them), and had broken a lovely ceramic vase--all for what looked, at this point, like they changed their minds after checking in, decided to move to a hotel, and then created this whole elaborate story to get out of paying anything.

Anyway, I was still on fairly pleasant terms with the guest, who was unaware that we had been piecing together all this information behind the scenes, while he and his relatives were relaxing in their 5-star hotel. And so, I sent him a friendly message explaining what Airbnb had told me and quoting that part of the Case Manager's message, and I told him, politely, that if he could give me a copy of the police report or give us the officers' names and or contact information, then we should be able to get him the full refund.

And THAT is when things turned nasty.

He suddenly started sending angry messages, saying that the police were rude and didn't give them a report, and that they were "too shaken up" by the whole incident to have checked the officers' names and such. He also couldn't give me any contact information and told me that it should be the job of Mike, our house manager, to track down the officers who had supposedly visited our home.

When these angry messages started coming in, I just happened to be at work and was scheduled to be in meetings all afternoon, and so I answered politely that I would be tied up for awhile but that he could try contacting Airbnb support, and I sent him the link for it. He did contact them, and he sent me a short message telling me that he had spoken with an agent and that she would be contacting me. However, when she texted me, she said exactly the same thing that the Case Manager had said: that if the guest could not provide any written documentation supporting his claim, then he would need to cancel on his end and be subject to the Moderate cancellation policy.

I again copied what the agent had said and told him that I still wanted to find a resolution that we could all live with. But then he wrote back something to the effect of, "You are not a man of your word, and so I am going to give you a bad evaluation."

So, that's the story. I know that it's long, and for those of you who have read this far, I appreciate your hanging in there. We are about to receive our first bad review in two years for something that looks unmistakably like an intricate plan to deceive and cheat us, and so I wanted to share it with our fellow hosts so that you, too, can be prepared if any such thing ever happens to you.

This has been, without question, the strangest and most stressful week in our entire Airbnb rental history...

22 Replies 22
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Emiel1 I posted that earlier in the other Airbnb Community hosting thread because I couldn't find the main hosting link on the site, and I would have preferred to post it here. I went back to try to delete the original post and re-post it here but was unable to do so.

@Rich-and-Yan0  If it's evident from your message thread that the guest threatened a bad review if you didn't give him a refund, you can try to have it removed by invoking the Extortion Policy.

@Anonymous I will try to do so. The problem is that some of the messages, such as when he promised to write us a good review if we gave him a refund, came on an outside messaging app, which was our mistake. He had insisted on using the-app-that-shall-not-be-named and we agreed, but then later we realised that we had been mistaken to do so. But I did have him switch back to Airbnb-only messaging on the day of the so-called incident, and so I have most of the information on Airbnb. I'm just not sure if it is enough. 

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll have a look at the Extortion Policy.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Sounds like this was really an outlier, and who knows what his intentions were.

Only thing I might contribute is,  it's fine tuning but sometimes you need to put more distance between you and the guest and they will respect you more.  When things start going weird I ask them to follow ABB terms of service communicate on the platform and I block them on my phone.  

When they know that all of their communication can be monitored by ABB they usually behave differently.  I don't know what this person would have done, but your post is a good lesson to us all about why it's in our interest to make sure guests use the app to communicate.

@Susan1188 Thank you for your feedback--and yes, you're right, there's a lesson for all hosts in my message. That was a big part of the reason why I took the time to write all of this out: so that hosts will not only be aware that such an underhanded thing can happen, but also so that they could learn from our mistake of communicating outside of the app. We shall not do that again and hope others read our story and realise why they should do likewise.

Oh, and I did do as you said and asked him to move things to Airbnb only once things "started going weird," as you aptly put it. And later, when he realised that the two Airbnb agents who were reviewing the case had read everything he had said and concluded from this that he would need to provide written evidence to support his claim, I'm sure that this was the beginning of his turning against me. 

Anyway, I've reviewed the extortion policy that @Anonymous pointed out to me and have also received tips from a few other hosts, and we've decided to try and have this guest's review pulled. It will take me a couple of days to piece the case together, however, and I'm not convinced based on what I've read on the Community Center in the past that Airbnb will agree to having the review taken down. But we believe that we have a pretty strong case and are going to try just the same.

Thank you again for your advice and support. Have a good summer.

@Rich-and-Yan0 If the review extortion attempt wasn’t made on the Airbnb platform, then there’s no point in using that to get the review removed. However, the majority of the review is irrelevant, as it talks about the alleged incident outside, and complains about the lack of security. If you have zero mention of security/surveillance cameras in your listing….that’s also irrelevant info. That’s your best bet. When speaking with CS, it’s wise to keep things simple and focus on one issue only. The second you make it complicated and muddy the waters, it’s game over. Good luck.

@Colleen253 Thanks for the advice. I already know that I can't use any comments from the external messaging app, regardless of what he said. But I also have a lot of evidence on Airbnb, including when he wrote--after speaking to an Airbnb agent who told that he would NOT be eligible for a full refund without written evidence of the so-called attack--that he would be writing a bad review for us. Now I just have to go through the many, many messages written prior to that (all in Spanish) to see if there is more written evidence I can use to prove that he violated the extortion policy.

Oh, and as for security cameras, our listing states very clearly that we do not have them, and so I plan to bring this up with Airbnb, too. I'm also going to mention how we did, in fact, provide him with emergency contact information and show how this was stated in an Airbnb message I sent him before he checked in. Today I'm planning to put together all this evidence, and the only thing left to do is to contact the local police to verify that they were not actually called. When I have that last bit of information, I plan to write Airbnb and lay it all out. Hopefully they will be receptive, because this is a lie on his part, plain and simple, that was done simply because he wanted a full refund after deciding that he would rather have stayed in a hotel.

Thanks again. 

Screenshots are helpful as evidence. If someone wants to talk on the phone, follow up with a message on the platform confirming the conversation. 

@Christine615 Thank you for your advice. I was actually planning to do the screenshots today and start amassing all the evidence. The only thing we have left to do is talk to the police and find out, for certain, what we already suspect: that they did not come to our house as the guest claimed. Once we have that, we are going to plead our case, which we think is a good one. Let's hope that Airbnb agrees. 

@Rich-and-Yan0 

I often use other IM apps to communicate with guests, and I always make a point to mention that I will follow up with a summary of our discussion and/or a screenshot onto the Airbnb messenger for evidence purposes, in case there is ever a situation where we need Airbnb CS to get involved to assist. After posting onto the Airbnb messenger, I send a message thru the IM asking them to check the Airbnb messenger to see what I've posted and to confirm they agree my summary is an accurate reflection of our conversation. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Thanks, that's good advice. I haven't done that, but I did get him to verify all that he had told me on the external IM app about the alleged incident. So that is on Airbnb and I'm planning to refer to it when I give them all the evidence to show that this was a bogus review written by a vindictive guest who was unhappy that his little scheme to get a full refund was rejected by Airbnb.

Thank you again. I'll keep this in mind in future. 

Rhonda170
Level 2
Laurelville, OH

You went above & beyond what most lodging accommodations would have done.  I hope AirBnB would take theses bad reviews into account and not fault us!  

@Rhonda170 Thank you for noticing that. Yes, we were being so nice to this guest prior to his booking, after his arrival and even he had checked out. All our messages were polite and professional. But the moment that I told him that Airbnb needed him to provide written evidence of the so-called "attack" and asked him to provide either the police report or some proof that the police had been called (e.g. the names of the officers), he turned immediately into a petulant, angry and vindictive guest. What had been a friendly dialogue prior to that turned to false accusations and a threat that he would write a bad review, which he followed up on.

So yes, let's hope that Airbnb sees all this. But I have to lay out all the evidence, and as I was explaining to another helpful host above, the only thing left to do before I contact Airbnb is to speak with the police and have them verify that they did not, in fact, visit our home. We know that they didn't based on what we heard from the neighbours, but it will be good for us to actually talk to the police and have them confirm it.

Thanks again.