What do you think are reasonable checkout instructions?

Answered!
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Sybe_0-1666866522778.png

Hi everyone, 

From the moment a booking is made, clear communication is key to a smooth and pleasant stay for both you and your guests. Checkout instructions are no exception to this.

Each Host will have different requirements, based on the property listed, the amenities offered, their hosting routine, house rules, or whether they charge a cleaning fee or not. You need to decide what checkout time, lockup instructions, and how much as well as what to clean is required of your guests. It can be quite challenging to find the right balance of enough to suit your needs, while not excessive so guests can fulfill your asks easily at the end of their stay.

We’d love to hear what your ask guests to do upon checkout, whether you’ve had to adjust that over your time hosting and any tips you have that might be handy for other Hosts!

Thanks,

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sybe 

I don't ask guests to do anything on check out other than to leave the key and close the front door if I'm not around to say goodbye to them in person. I might mention the guest book, but usually I just leave it to the guests to decide if they want to leave a message. It's right near the door, so they know it's there.

However, I do expect guests to be reasonably clean and tidy during their stay, so there shouldn't be any dirty dishes sitting around in the kitchen anyway. 

I don't expect them to take out trash, or empty the fridge (although  a few do), but then I am a live in host, so every situation is different. I know that other hosts may have good reason to ask guests to do this, i.e. to prevent pests/smells if the host/cleaner can't get to the property straight away.

View Best Answer in original post

71 Replies 71

@Caroline2203  I would NEVER ask a guest to vacuum or to do laundry. Especially if you charge a cleaning fee. 

Vacuuming is the host's/cleaner's job, and I want to do the laundry my way. 

They're on vacation AND they paid you a cleaning fee and you want them to vacuum? I don't get it. 

I don’t charge a cleaning fee

I agree totally with Kia,  the guest pays a cleaning fee to cover cleaning so they don't have to.  I suppose if the host doesn't charge a cleaning fee they could stipulate in the house rules that clean up is expected before leaving. However  I've found that guests don't clean up well enough anyway and everything has to be done over again to make sure the place is up  to snuff for the next guest.  We charge a cleaning fee and just ask the guest to lock the door behind them when they leave with no need to clean.

Deborah1073
Level 2
Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico

I’m similar to Rob but I do ask they throw out the trash and turn off a/c. 

Deborah
MariaElena7
Level 2
Pompano Beach, FL

Check out instructions:  Please take a last dip at the pool or a relaxed breakfast, enjoy your vacation to the last.  Lock doors and have a good trip back home.  Thank you so much for booking with us

Loving how you phrased it. So guests friendly!

Love this! I may borrow this too! 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I love this @MariaElena7 - your instructions are as chilled out and comfortable as your listings!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Having been a guest as well as a host, I'm an advocate for less is better. I ask that our guests strip the beds and put all linens on the floor next to the washing machine and lock the door behind them. That's it. 

@Claudia3038 conversely we ask guests NOT to strip the beds as we want to see if there are any stains that need treating. Also I don't think I would want to strip beds when I am trying to pack and leave by checkout time.

@Mike-And-Jane0  same. if a guest has stripped the bed it's a red flag, and if they've stripped the doona cover it's a certainty there's a stain. 

I do the same, easier to see if the sheets need laundry treatment. 

Terrill0
Level 7
Dresden, ME

I send a note before check in with some details like door code and parking that now includes check in and out times and dates. I need to put up a check out list for my guests because I have appreciated finding one when I am a guest myself and it saves my guests the trouble of either looking it up or asking. This list is pretty simple:

- thank them for their stay

-(in the winter turn off heat); and open windows and back door.

-thank them again and ask for feedback: is there anything they would recommend that would Help us improve the experience for other guests?

Part of our pandemic cleaning ritual involves airing out the unit for as long as possible before we go into clean so this is helpful for us and shows our guests we are serious about clean healthy spaces.

in response the the above “fraud” comment about asking guests to clean: I find people are naturally considerate. I know I do my dishes and throw all used linens in a pile as guest because it’s easy and kind. I feel like it’s a way of being respectful and saying thank you…Also I want to be an excellent guest so I can return!…I think I’m driven by the good review as well.

I’ve had very few guests leave dishes or any kind of mess. I try to leave items that make it easy for them to recycle and clean up (paper towels)… it’s pretty remarkable given our place is rustic and has no running water that we have had such great experiences with our guests and easy check out.

I did recently move our check out time an hour earlier so I’m not irritated if they are running late and that helps too…

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Sybe  

I used to not have any check out instructions, but often times guest would message me before check out requesting them, so I included them on a table stand. ("Guest don't need to sweep floors, can leave sheets on the bed or anywhere in bathroom with towels. Put used dishes in the dishwasher but don't need to start it. Try to leave the place as you found it.") Some host on line take issue with everything I post, citing its impossible to leave things they found it, but I think that keeps it brief and they get the idea, not to have things spilled and splattered everywhere, don't want spoons and such to down into the drain and break the disposal, also implies not to move furniture around or get food stains on the linens, etc.

This topic has come up a lot and I did a lot of research on it before listing.

Guest thank me for keeping my rates budget friendly for the area. For some guest its a big deal to take a 3-4 day trip so it has really helped that guest have been so good about keeping things clean.

A few stain linens with food stains, makeup,  or hard on appliances, so it helps set some expectations to keep it manageable and more budget friendly for the vast majority who are more responsible.  

Drayton1
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

Well most of my guests always clean up after them self's like if they cook a meal they clean up the pots an pans and put the dishes in the dishwasher. When they are leaving they just take there stuff an go.

I Can't believe Host's would have them vacuuming and stripping the beds upon leaving plus charge them a cleaning fee WOW. I certainly would not come back to your place. It's supposed to be a relaxing time for the GUESTS! JS