evicting a guest

evicting a guest

I have a guest that failed to mention a 110 lb dog, to my no pet rule home.  When I spoke to airbnb, they said they would call her and ask her to leave.  She say's to them, Service dog, that's all.  Game over, for me.  My husband went there, and he knocked on door, this 110 lb dog jumped on the door, he thought the dog was going to break it, and was growling and barking at him.  The dog was taken upstairs, with my new expensive carpeting??  There cannot be a carte blanche  to Us the hosts, that own properties that cannot accomodate, pets such as these, is there nothing for us, that try and be above standard hosts, to maintain, community rules, and preserve their own major investment??  Also, airbnb, called her twice, has called me back 0, still waiting?  Any input from experienced hosts would be appreciated.  Thank you,  extremely worried host!

47 Replies 47
Ryan2352
Level 10
Thousand Oaks, CA

You can demand proof that the dog is a service dog.  Jumping at the door does not sound like a service dog.  It should have papers and training certification.  Research the company that provides the certification though, it's as easy to get certified as it is to become an ordained minister (I'm ordained by "The Church of the Dude" and can actually perform weddings if I file the paperwork).

See if your insurance prohibits certain breeds.  Some people have good luck with that.

Good luck!

Thank you Ryan,

You are a host and you get it.  Some from airbnb that are hosts, get it also, but they so quickly fall back

on their policy, once a guest say"s service animal.  I say it's a BS law.  This is my investment, my hard earned property, and I need to learn from this, as the flag should definitely would help us hosts out.  There is much more than meets the words, right now, she knew, and she was trying to turn the tables on me and she had 

service animal.  on her side.  The law is:  I could hang a king cobra on my neck, and say its my comfort animal

no proof, just say it, and the host has no grounds to deny charge for cleaning, or anything, or that is the big "D". Discremination.  Which I can honestly say, none of that was my issue.  So who is going to clean up the large Dog poop she left in my yard?  She actually wants a refund for breach of contract.  LOL. When I get 

the wrong guest, I guess I go all the way.  I say, many of us who value our properties, our neighbors, our insurance coverages, and all that goes with the policy of Carte Blanche No questions asked, need to get together, and voice it needs to change.  We should at the very least be notified, as again, these are our problems to bear once the guest leaves.  Thanks to all that see that, let's help change it.

Abide, Brother 

Sam
The Historic Mountain View
Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

@Tasia369   I would immediately post on her profile page a report this user notice- the little black flag icon- and state this entire matter , no word limits I think, plus I call for this user to be removed from ABB.

It might not make a difference in the short term but perhaps long term would send a message.

And then contact ABB CS and insist on a case number be assigned to your complaint. If you can get them to do that it will be of record permanently, which will help you make a successful claim against ABB for damages and also your own insurance business policy coverage.

Finally, in my area of Oregon-Redmond- the city issues business licenses for ABB types of business activity conducted on residential properties.  What this entitles me to is the right to call police for assistance in evicting an illegal occupation, I give them my license info, which they have on file to confirm and this gives them the right to knock on the door and make contact etc. just the same as a hotel manager. They treat it the same way. This will intimidate her a bunch and likely she would leave. Hope you have this system in your town.

Susan

Thank you Susan,   If I can post the little black flag icon I will.  So she does not come to your house next!  I am

still new to this, and I feel I have gone above and beyond to make my guests expectations, exceeded by staying at my place.  And till this, I was 100 percent on track.  Then, this, what a crash.  I am in FL. and because of a rental experience on a duplex, of which is different, but the same.  The police come, and say this is a civil matter, etc.  Airbnb, at first said, we will call and ask them to leave.  They did, and she said Service Animal, and that is ALL she needs to say.  The law here was I had a 5 pound toy poodle and could not bring him to an outside seating at a restaurant, off the boat!  Now you can bring anything you want and say service animal, and they are not allowed to ask for documentation even?!!    But I say, what about the people that are using this and abusing this.  At a restaurant, you now could walk past a dog that growls at you, walk the other way, or leave.  But when they bring one to your home, and you have NO RiGHTS, SOMETHING IS WRONG here?  She did leave, but informed me that airbnb said she did not have to, and she want's a full refund, because I breached the contract.  I did not, she did.  We have to have the right to be informed, at bare minimum.  Please let me know how to address this with airbnb.  Thank you

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ryan2352 per Airbnb TOS you cannot ask for documentation.

Probably are, but ADA allows for it, if memory serves.  I'd ask for it.  I require all animals, regardless of status, to be disclosed prior to booking.  My insurance provider will not allow certain breeds, regardless of if they're a service animal or not.

@Ryan2352 Airbnb’s host requirements exceed those of the law. You can violate them but you risk delisting if someone reports you.

And I risk far more if an unauthorized animal damages my house or bites someone.  If a Pit or GSD goes into attack mode, I'm up "Schitt Creek" without a paddle.  I don't for a moment think AB&B will offer to pay my legal fees or cover the damage or hospitalization because they forced an unauthorized animal on me.  I'm not going to lose a $2m+ house.  If AB&B can ask for proof of covid before issuing a refund, they can ask for proof of a service animal.

I can go on Amazon and buy a vest for my dog that says "Service Animal" and bring them shopping with me tomorrow (I stopped counting how many of those I've seen).  You can go online and buy a certification of being a service animal for $25.  Is proof and verification of the certifying body too much to ask?

And let's not get started on cats and the allergies people have to them.  I almost ended up in the hospital because of walking into an unknown cat house.

@Ryan2352 I am not trying to tell you how to manage your property. I’m only suggesting that we should try to post complete and correct advice about Airbnb policies. If you advise another host to violate the policy I think you should at least acknowledge that, and mention the risks that following your advice would entail.

Well put.  Didn't see it that way (the CYA aspect), thanks for the clarification.

@Ryan2352Pits and German Shepherds do not have "attack modes" unless specifically trained, as any other dog can be trained to do. Please stop spreading misinformation. Do better.

There's a reason why GSDs were the poster child for the USPS's campaign this year against aggressive dogs.  They are bred to be territorial and protective.  That's why they make such great patrol dogs for the Police and Military (same with Malinois) and such great guard dogs.  Mine patrols the yard every night on her own before bed without being told and without training in it from me.  She also alerts to anyone coming in front of the house, without any training.  It's just in her bones.

@Ryan2352  I guess you didn't understand so I'll say it again. Pits and GSDs do not come with "attack modes" unless specifically trained. "Trainable" does not equal "aggressive." Yes, they are VERY trainable. They are NOT inherently aggressive, hence, no internal, inherited, "attack mode." Stop spreading misinformation. Do better.