Legal Questions

Star0
Level 1
Tampa, Florida, United States

Legal Questions

Have questions about taxes and licenses in Tampa, Florida.

6 Replies 6
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Star0, not sure exactly what your questions are but you might find some answers within the Miami group (on the drop down menu, scroll down to Cities and you'll see Miami).  Also, you might contact the county officials where you live to get accurate tax info.  Unfortunately all of us here are hosts that cannot answer your question.  Good Luck!

Jessica337
Level 1
Richmond, VA

Are there any restrictions in Richmond, VA?

Jessica

Hi Jessica

im in Hanover County and was wondering what you found out.

Please take this survey to let the city know what you think of the rules they are wanting to impose on AirBnB hosts in Richmond, VA. They are considering a $300 permit, only allowing to book 180 nights per year, rules on wether or not you reside in the rental, rules on the number of occupants per room, rules on tenants having to ask the owner/operator for permission, parking requirements, ect. Please have your voices heard!

Article here with a link for the survey in the 4th-to-last paragraph:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/04/08/short-term-home-rental-permits-cost-300-proposed-city-rules/

Here is another link to survey but I'm not sure if this will work:

The survey, available here, can be taken through May 31.

J-Ryan0
Level 1
Tampa, FL

Hi Star, 

My company operates in Tampa, and I think I can help you!

Airbnb had separate agreements with various cities and counties, but in Hillsborough County, Airbnb remits your taxes for you. They will generate a 1099 for you at the end of the year. They can even issue a separate 1099 for your cohost if their percentage is high enough. My company hosts and we issue tax forms separately for our homeowner clients. 

As far as licensure, most folks are surprised to hear this, but there IS a license from the State of FL to operate a short-term rental! It is inexpensive, and each additional property we manage is just an additional $10 to add to the license. Of course, I haven't heard of anyone being prosecuted for not having it, but the State obviously wants to retain the right to do so, in case of some unforseen scandal, neighbor complaints, etc. 

Anyway, I hope this helps! Message me any time of you want advice. If you're in Tampa, we should meet up for a cold beer some time. My business partner and I live and operate in Seminole Heights.

J

Terre2
Level 1
Tampa, FL

Are you interested in providing help to set up a property (or two!)? We have a condo on the river within walking distance to stadium and also a 2 story house with detached garage apartment in Beach Park-that property could potentially be set up for large group or single- but needs editing and staging.

Thanks.