Problem with bonus

Maud132
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Problem with bonus

I have referred 2 friends, who have both hosted since. After spending lots of time helping them create their ad (using my host referral code), Airbnb has not paid any of the referral bonus. The first time they said my friends did not use the code, which is a lie as I was with them when they did it. The second friend just hosted at the beginning of October and once again I did not receive the bonus. I have been a super host for 5 years and I have never experienced any thing but great communication with Airbnb. I am so disappointed and I really don't know how to proceed as Airbnb refuse to help me with this! Anyone has been in my situation? 

11 Replies 11
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No, I haven't but if you are spending time and using your expertise to help people set up their listing, then charge them for it @Maud132 

The Airbnb referral bonus is just that for referring someone not for helping them set up their listing.

Have a look at Airbnb Help Centre to understand how the referral system works and if both your friends meet the criteria then give Airbnb a call again/contact them on their social media.

Maud132
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen.

I was not very clear i think. What I meant is I did not mind helping my friends. I am just so annoyed that Airbnb has not paid the referral bonus twice!

When you mentioned contacting them on their social media, you mean their Facebook page? Do you think I might get an answer?? 

The 4 people on the help centrer I had contacted said they did not have enough allocated staff for referral to take the matter further. Very frustrating.

Thanks for helping

@Maud132 in your shoes I would keep calling and asking for the matter to be escalated to a supervisor. Unfortunately getting useful assistance from Airbnb customer support often requires an extreme amount of persistence.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Maud132 

Yes they do respond to their social media inquiries FB/Instagram/Twitter - whether it is the answer you want is another matter 🙂

Worth a try though surely as it's something you want to pursue.

Hi, did you get this issue resolved? 

Hey did you get this issues resolved with Airbnb I’m going thru something similar.

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Happened to me, too. Twice. I don't even remember what was the reason I didn't get my first referral, and the second time they said it expired because too much time has passed from setting up the listing to first hosting!

Maud132
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

It appears to me that their referral bonus system is not working at all! I would be interested to see how many people have not been paid!! We need to do something about this! 

Maud132
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thanks a lot Lisa. I am still trying but I have feel that I have hit a wall. They said they understand my frustration but are now considering the matter closed!!! This is not fair! Any advice to be able to speak to a supervisor?? 

Thanks again. Really appreciate your help

@Maud132 I would just keep calling and reopening the complaint, refusing to hang up and requesting escalation to higher levels of management. I recently had a similar problem after a CS rep mistakenly applied a travel coupon to a deactivated account so I couldn't use it. Eventually I got through to someone who was willing and able to re-apply it to the correct account, but it took some effort. Posting on their Facebook page and tweeting at them may also help get the attention of the right people.

Earlier this year I sued Airbnb in small claims court for clawed-back payouts, and prevailed. I don't know if you have a similar option in the UK but if you do and feel strongly enough about the issue, that might be another option.

Maud132
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thanks a lot Lisa!! I will. It is about £900 they now owe me. It's just not fair and I bet a lot of people are in the position