Another update which will increase guest refund requests

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Another update which will increase guest refund requests

I’m very concerned to see this new update.

Giving a guest 72 hours to report problems instead of 24 hours is going to make the free stay scammers ecstatic. 24 hours was plenty. Why should a guest get to complain about cleanliness after staying for over 2 days?

After hosting thousands of guests I can give many examples including once when I went to re-clean a kitchen floor for a family who clearly had spilled their own takeout food sauces all over it and then told me the floor was dirty. I’m getting very worried about the future of this business when I see changes like this:

380226B5-D519-4E8C-AE73-8D874EDA262E.jpeg

238 Replies 238

@Mary419 

Yes I got that email on Feb 26th. I just now opened it and read though most of the updates. It took me a while to find the updates to the refund policy you cited. 

I've already removed the dishwasher off the amenities list. Guest have already forced it open when its running, breaking a latch, and put detergent into the softer bin. 

I agree about bugs in this region. A lot of people really don't understand that every dwelling, including new construction, will have some roaches, and all require some form or pest control along the coast in our region. They can get in if they leave the door open or just on bottom of door and slip in when it opens. Its like sugar ants in some places. 

I get a significant number of guest who ask me questions such as why their isn't a uniformity for all host, such as exact same mattresses, hvac, full length mirror, full kitchen, outdoor grill,  to name a few, then use the review process as a means to get a lower price on next stay. 

There is no doubt after 3 days, if guest finds dust bunnies under bed that form in 2 days, they will take a picture, and just say, "I'm just noticing them now." 

Starting April 22nd host have to agree to TOS or have account canceled after completed existing reservations. 

I don't see how 24 hours isn't enough time to inspect the place? Staying 2 nights then want a refund? No thanks. 

Time for a new platform

Nancy468
Level 3
Lamy, NM

We live in the high desert, adjacent to a wilderness preserve. We do warn guests in the house rules section to not leave garbage or food outside as it may attract unwelcome visitors that may be dangerous. I’m now believe that we will have to update that and be way more inclusive as to what types of critters and bugs might show up.

But here’s my big question. Our beautiful Jenair double convection oven has a problem. It doesn’t connect on the top oven. It functions just fine as a normal oven, just no convection function. We called the repair guy. They no longer make this model or the parts to repair it. I cannot afford a new double oven. Right now, I have a sticky note on the oven stating it’s problem and that the repairman has been called. All true. Am I setting myself up for a claim by it not completely functioning? I do not use the word “convection” in the listing. 

And what about when something breaks during a guest!s visit? Stuff happens. Where we live, it often will take a week for a repairman to schedule a call. When the dishwasher broke, I offered to come and hand wash their dishes every day. Though I’m not exactly sure what I can do for them if the hot tub goes on the fritz.

This new policy has me very concerned. 

And that is why I have a legal agreement/contract I require guests to sign before I accept their inquiry (and no I never do instant booking anywhere). My concern is this part:
Other things to be aware of
This Policy applies to all reservations made on or after the Effective Date. When this Policy applies, it controls and takes precedence over the reservation’s cancellation policy.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Maybe we should all just start listing an air mattress on the floor in an empty house and zero amenities so guests have nothing to complain about.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Catherine-Powell  Why does Airbnb hate hosts? Why do you do everything you can to facilitate guests scamming hosts?

Seivar0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

As Hosts will be accepting a greater portion of the risk, surety Airbnb will be sharing a portion of the ~15% Guest fees (historically justified by claims it paid for these services). 

Another Superhost here. I agree entirely with other commenters, this policy change is concerning. 72 hours is not reasonable, and the other broad expansions of refund reasons at their whim now makes hosting on Airbnb a risky bet.  At this point I propose hosts consider these ideas:

- Actually call Airbnb and file a complaint - they can't ignore it if hundreds of us do this

- Only allow guests with a minimum of three 5 star reviews to book -- otherwise it's just too risky to host.

- Change your minimum booking to 4 days - no it won't solve the issue by itself, but if enough of us do this, it will impact Airbnb's revenues, they won't be able to ignore it

- Raise your listing prices to account for the increase in risk 

- Perhaps we can start a shared spreadsheet of horrible Airbnb guests that all hosts can avoid?

And stipulate there we will NOT accept instant booking

I have never had IB turned on. I have been a host with them since they were a brand new start up!  I vet EVERY guest carefully. I look at the reviews they have left for previous hosts to weed out potential nitpickers and complainers. This goes a long way toward finding the right fit! 

@Richard2477 Honestly i suspect guests can just keep making new profiles for the first booking discount. I was made aware of this by a prior guest. It's very easy to sign up with google or facebook who allow anyone to make multiple accounts with no id.

Is ABB trying to sizzle right out of the business? They are creating a golden opportunity for another player. I'll be looking elsewhere to host.

Michelle2137
Level 4
New South Wales, Australia

@Amanda1775 I am suspecting they really don't want us smaller hosts because of the problems and costs now that they have all the real estates and investment properties on board. They've destroyed the local rental market. I'm constantly seeing posts on my local facebook page for families who have lived in our small town all their lives (which is very cheap) begging anyone for rooms or caravans to rent. There's nothing left here since Covid.

These new policies basically set them up to freely extort us and pay for guests upgraded vacations so they'll make higher fees. And they'll do it in the name of us 'bad' hosts. If we don't allow ourselves to be fodder they'll just kick us off. Takes 2 seconds!

Honestly i hope it comes back to bite them, when the recession really hits no one will be travelling and their company model won't stand.  Pride always comes before a fall.

@Michelle2137 

This new policy is a reflection of the leadership. I can't imagine why they want to create infinitely more work for their customer service agents when they can't even effectively deal with the current issues. 

Handsome-Dan-and-The-Fre0
Level 3
Port Renfrew, Canada

Had a guest recently who couldn't get the bbq to work.  BBQ is on the main gas line same as the gas range, propane firepit etc so if one works they all should.  Told her where the valve was (2' to the left of the bbq on the wall), where the timer was (2" to the left of that) and how to light it.  Didn't hear back.  Went over the next day and checked the main tank (60% and valve was open), knocked on the door and their was no answer so figured all was good.  Nope, message after checkout was that they couldn't get it to work the whole stay but never followed up after.  I went the day after they checked out to check it.  Fired up first try no problems.

I host 1600 reservations/year through 22 properties.  Most are not with Airbnb but there should be recourse for hosts to argue BEFORE the refund to the guest.  Honestly 90% of the time a guest says something doesn't work after their stay is because they screwed something up or didn't read the instructions but didn't say anything.  Also some guests expect you to pull all of the furniture and clean behind it after every stay.  Airbnb is going to lose a lot of hosts over this I think.