Stained linens

Answered!
Thea-and--Keith0
Level 2
Yellow Springs, OH

Stained linens

Other hosts.... please advise.  

Guests stayed for almost two weeks.  Unfortunately, they stained a minimum of 6 different towels (kitchen, face, bath), a set of king sheets and my comforter.  They were given a linen change after 6 days.  I didn’t even document the stains from the first linen change.  

I just threw the towels away but now they have stained the comforter with an ink pen and the king sheet with some body fluid that I am struggling to get rid of.  

Cost of business or request reimbursement?

1 Best Answer
Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

It's worth attempting to request a reimbursement for damages through Airbnb resolutions: https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions 

However, unfortunately linens are a thing in this business that we cannot have too much attachment to. Perhaps next time you can consider providing four sets instead of six? Or perhaps display less linens and keep a couple extra in a hidden closet. If they ask for the linens you can provide them. This will reduce the actual number of linens involved. 

Other hosts are providing good tips here as well. 

View Best Answer in original post

41 Replies 41
Leslie-A0
Level 3
Verona, KY

I have in the past had some issues with stains not coming out of towels & sheets.  The towels are easily replaced, as I do not buy expensive towels.  I also buy WHITE & I have found most all stains I can remove by hitting them with Oxi Max stain spray, letting sit for 15 min, then putting all the towels in hot water with my detergent & 1/2 cup of bleach, set the timer for 30 min then wash.  I've only lost 3 wash cloths in over 45 guests stay (most of my stays have 6 guests).  I have also lowered the number of make-up stains by buying Costco face wipes, they are only 8 cents per sheet to use, so this is cost effective for us.  As for the sheets, I started buying them on Wayfair, at only $25 for even King size...I can afford to replace them if needed & (I have needed!)  My first ruined sheets I did hit the button to claim an amount for the security deposit....but it was such a long & drawn out process, I had to show my receipt (which I always keep) & then the guest had to be contacted to agree to lose the amount on the deposit...it really wasn't worth the hassle, hence buying the cheaper sheets (& by cheaper I mean, less expensive, but the sheets themselves are so soft & guests often comment how nice they are).  I also bought duvet covers for the comforters, so I can easily & quickly remove & wash if needed &  they are heavily patterned, so most stains never show!  I hope this helps.  So sorry your guest ruined your items

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Thea-and--Keith0

I think I would request reimbursement for the comforter, if you have to replace it, but maybe not the sheets and towels. I agree that duvet covers are a good idea.

Becky165
Level 2
Regina, Canada

I am new to Airbnb and after my first guests who stayed just 2 nights, the pillow shams were terribly stained by make up and something oily.  The duvet cover was also stained.  The duvet cover's stains came out but the shams are ruined.  Apart from that, the guests were fine.  Do you private message about this when reviewing them, reminding them that bedding/linens could be regarded more carefully in the future? I realize that this is an "occupational hazard", however, so easily avoided.  Is this something worth reminding the guest or am I being petty?

@Becky165, as many others have mentioned, make-up remover towels will be your friend. Of our first half a dozen guests, five left some kind of make up on the linens or towels. Then I read on here that people provide these, and I started to do so, too. The problem has been solved. 

As for oily stains, I find that a couple of drops washing up liquid (for handwashing dishes, for clarity. It's what we call it in British English, but I have a feeling North Americans call it something different) rubbed into the stain before bunging it the washing machine works wonders. I've also had good success with this method in a second wash for fat stains on tea towels if we (usually my partner) didn't notice them the first time round. I'd maybe give it a go in a second wash before you write the pillow shams off altogether. 

Good luck!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mel101I'm assuming the washing up liquid doesn't remove colour from fabrics like Oxy stain removers do? If so, I'm going to give this a try. Oxy is great for whites, but I'm reluctant to use it on anything else now since it left bleached out marks in brand new blue towels.

@Huma0, I have certainly never had a problem with it removing colour on cottons or synthetics. And washing up liquid is way cheaper than oxi. Good luck with your stain removal. It looks like your last guest was painting their face with creosote!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mel

The stains on the wash cloths came out with regular stain remover.

i was asking about the washing up liquid for a gold coloured silk bedspread with greasy stains left on it (from more than one set of guests) that wouldn't come out with regular detergent and I didn't want to risk using stain removers on it.

Thanks very much for the tip. The washing up liquid didn't completely remove the greasy stains, but they are barely visible now after one try and no colour fade. I think only I would notice them because I already know they are there. I will give it another go and maybe they will disappear completely.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I provide a travel size packet of makeup remover wipes in each bathroom of our listing.  It is much less expensive than replaceing the bed linens. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm going to start providing make up wipes to avoid this in the future...IMG_0580.JPG

Good cracious!! What is this?? Hair dye??

No, just make up! Surprisingly washed out first time with the help of Shout! stain remover spray plus some Oxi added to the wash.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That is quite a lot of makeup, @Huma0!

If you are planning on getting something to replace these, instead of throwing these out, could you instead wash these and leave these as dedicated makeup flannels perhaps? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizziesee my answer to @Karina above. Miraculously, these stains washed out first time (wish that was always the case). I really thought it was going in the bin, but I thought I'd give it one attempt just in case and it worked 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww, it's great to hear you were able to save these, @Huma0

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.