Stained linens

Answered!
Thea-and--Keith0
Level 2
Yellow Springs, OH

Stained linens

Other hosts.... please advise.  

Guests stayed for almost two weeks.  Unfortunately, they stained a minimum of 6 different towels (kitchen, face, bath), a set of king sheets and my comforter.  They were given a linen change after 6 days.  I didn’t even document the stains from the first linen change.  

I just threw the towels away but now they have stained the comforter with an ink pen and the king sheet with some body fluid that I am struggling to get rid of.  

Cost of business or request reimbursement?

1 Best Answer
Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

It's worth attempting to request a reimbursement for damages through Airbnb resolutions: https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions 

However, unfortunately linens are a thing in this business that we cannot have too much attachment to. Perhaps next time you can consider providing four sets instead of six? Or perhaps display less linens and keep a couple extra in a hidden closet. If they ask for the linens you can provide them. This will reduce the actual number of linens involved. 

Other hosts are providing good tips here as well. 

View Best Answer in original post

41 Replies 41
Daisy71
Level 2
Vaughan, Canada

Do you mention this issue in the guest review? I just encountered the first group having my white towel stained. I wanted to leave a review on this, but I don't want to overreact if other hosts find it annoying but don't mention on the review. I'm new, so any tips would be helpful. Thank you all! 

I’m new as well and my very first guest ruined sham covers and a duvet cover. I didn’t give them a bad review or even comment privately because I was too nervous! I’ve since gotten duvet covers and shams that hide stains and I’ve supplied make up wipes and made high-lighted mention of guests taking  care to not stain linens in the guest information booklet. I haven’t had an issue. Preventative intervention helped! 

Thank you for the information, Becky! I will start to do the same, but it just surprised me since I would imagine no one would use the white towel at home to clean up the makeups. I'm not sure if this is something norm since I'm not originally from here. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Thea-and--Keith0IMG_20170709_054326474.jpgI added this in the bathroom with cheap wash cloths of different colors, they can be thrown away they are so cheap....folks are using them instead of my wonderful towels!

Marta794
Level 6
Portland, OR

It is really disappointing to have expensive towels and bedding ruined. The sheets and comforter is the worst!  Our last guests when asked if they could tell me what it was so I could try to get it out said they think it was soy sauce on the sheets and I am guessing red wine on the down comforter.  From reading previous posts I am taking it we just have to write it off.  By the way I do provide makeup cloths in the bathroom and there are paper towels in the kitchen and napkins in the pantry. 😥

@Mart0 I have been successful in having a guest pay to replace blood-stained sheets. sometimes you get a rude reply but it is worth the try (after they have written their review of course)

Blood is one of the things it's easy to remove, it seldom ruins things. You have to soak the items in cold water for awhile. If the blood marks are fresh, that's often all that's needed, if they're more stubborn, hydrogen peroxide poured directly on it will remove it. If you wash it in hot water, even with bleach, before doing that first, the stain will never come out.

I've never had to throw away anything because of a blood stain- it all comes out.

@Lisa-And-Amanda1

Maleshoane0
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Does anyone know what stain removal products work in South Africa? I have a batch of white linen and towels with yellow and pink stains.

Chelsea167
Level 2
Gulfport, FL

I'm sorry, "write it off", and "cost of doing business" is unacceptable to me. If a guest ruins something they pay for it. Guests have no right to damage property and if you let them get away with it by absorbing the cost, you encourage the behavior and make it the next host's problem. We tried black makeup towels and guess what, they washed them with the whites. Not sure where all these people come from who think it's o.k. to be a slob but if hosts begin standing up for themselves we'll see less of it. 

Thank you for your assistance. 

@Chelsea167  Letting guests wash linens and towels is a bad idea, as you found out. Hosts need to deal with the bedding and towels, check if there are any stains that need to be pre-treated before washing. 

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

It's worth attempting to request a reimbursement for damages through Airbnb resolutions: https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions 

However, unfortunately linens are a thing in this business that we cannot have too much attachment to. Perhaps next time you can consider providing four sets instead of six? Or perhaps display less linens and keep a couple extra in a hidden closet. If they ask for the linens you can provide them. This will reduce the actual number of linens involved. 

Other hosts are providing good tips here as well.