Stolen Guest Book

Stolen Guest Book

We hosted a 7 person group that included a set of twins.  The renter claim she hid the guest book from her children so well that she couln't find it herself.  However, she assured me that it was in the home somewhere.  Three of us searched the entire house and no sign of it anywhere.  I'm inclined to think she allowed them to write in it and threw it out.  

We are seriously distraught about it!  We had the most imcredible notes and letters, and reviews in this book along with peoples names and location.  Not to mention the pride we had and the joy we felt coming into the house to read it.

she had other fee's for extra cleaning services and I charged for those first as I had hoped her memory would recall the books location.  Not until I requested $500 security deposit did she respond.  Airbnb told us they can't help because we didn't request it until after the next renter checked in yet, you can't put more than one claim in at a time.

What do you think about the situation?  How would you feel?  how would you handle this now?

William & Marie

The Mermaids Song

Seaside Oregon

8 Replies 8
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@William-and-Marie0 I am sorry, it must have meant a lot to you but I don't think that there is anything you can do about it now. Even if you ask money from the guest how will you set a specific price? I am sure the book is very valuable to you but can you put a realistic price on memories? 

Ana,

Thank you for the reply.  There may not be a value past disrespect of property or not respecting house rules.  I suppose the value can only be what we post in the info/rules/expectations regarding charging a $500 security.

obviously the book is priceless and we hate that other peoples personal information was taken.  I think there has to be some consequence.  It certainly improves the value of the peoperty as a rental to have it.  It has a postitive effect on others when they read it so how does it not affect us financially to not have it as well?

@William-and-Marie0 I agree and understand everything but purely from practical point of view I don't think it would be possible to get any recompensation for the book, let alone 500$. You can leave an honest review of the guest, maybe if you messaged the guest in the app there would be some evidence that they removed the book but I wouldn't hope on anything else. 

Ana,

Their story keeps changing as to the book, who moved it and the only consistent comment is that they cant recall where.  We have looked everywhere so it is gone.  

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@William-and-Marie0 It would be difficult for you to get $500 from Airbnb resolution. 

Airbnb's policy is only to compensate the original cost less the depreciation.

In addition, I would suggest that you don't leave your guests' full name and address in the book where the other guests can see. 

Mike,

we didn't leave their full name and address.  Some have left their name and state or town and state.  They chose to leave it and I'm sure it was to pay homage to where they were coming from.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@William-and-Marie0  How sad. Make sure to mention in the review that something of great personal value to you was found to be missing after these guests' stay.

have looked literally everywhere? Like the oven, between folded up towels, and weird places like that? I remember one host thinking her guest had taken a lamp, then found it stuffed way back in the closet, behind a bunch of other things, for no apparent reason.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@William-and-Marie0 That's distressing, but the title of your post doesn't match the content - did she steal it or did she throw it away?  Why would a harried mom with children who can't seem to clean up after them steal a guest book?  Honestly I think one of the children packed it or put it in a dollhouse or a toy or someone left it in the shed or SOMETHING.  And I guess you got rid of their trash before you realized the book was gone, so you can't look through it?  Anyway, this post has got me thinking of all the things I thought I'd lost forever and then found - hope that turns out to be the case for you.