Define 'Private Room' and Host accessibility thereto

Answered!
Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

Define 'Private Room' and Host accessibility thereto

As a part of hosting, I take it upon myself to do a quick walk-through every couple days. I've been doing this since day one. First, I check that they're not home (car isn't in garage or driveway), and then I knock on the door, and then I let myself in when I verify that they're not present.

I take a quick look around, make sure the trash can isn't full, tissues are stocked, and then inspect to verify that towels are in their proper locations (the bathroom, and not hanging in the bedroom), food is not being stored or disposed of in the rooms, and that they are taking good care of my personal property. (Those are all things that they agreed to in the rules.)

I just had a long term guest leave a week early. She requested a refund of her unused days via the resolution center. Her reason was listed as "uncomfortable" with the host entering the room without permission.

Airbnb reached out to me, and I confirmed that yes, I access my guests rooms without their consent or even notice. Their response said:
"I do truly understand that you would just like to protect your home from damages, and I get that with guests in the past, this has become your primary goal. However, like I said, this is absolutely not something you are allowed to do on our platform. If a guest books your listing as a "private room" they are not expected to share their living quarters, which means this is only for the guest that had booked. By going into this guests listing without her permission, this makes for an uncomfortable and potentially inappropriate situation between you and your guest, and this is something we always would like to avoid."

"With that being said, per our Terms of Service, Section 9 paragraph 5 & 6, I will be proceeding with refunding your guest for the nights she did not stay in your listing. This will amount to a total of $[xxx]. At this time, because you have already received this payout you will be seeing an adjustment to your account for this total. This adjustment will be due to come out of your future payouts."

Nowhere in my reading of the Terms of Service does it say that a Private Room is not accessible to the Host. I've challenged the Manager, but haven't gotten a response back yet.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Maybe this thread has gone far enough, it is taking a massive amount of email alert space and is going nowhere!

@Ken28 is not looking for advice, he is after validation of his position. Every piece of advice that is given here he will come back and counter with his own interpretation, however tenuious! There is an old saying....'There are none as blind as those who will not see'!

Healthy discussion is great but It's time to let this one go and get on with giving advice to others that can be of some use!

Cheers.....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

109 Replies 109

@Ken28

I do not consider myself paranoid - if people who knew me heard I could be considered paranoid..... they would laugh their heads off. 

But, I consider it my responsibility to make sure the entire house - including the guest room - maintains a certain level of hygine for everyone's sake. Great if my guest is the clean and tidy type but if not, I consider it part of my job as a host to at least make sure the trashcan is not overflowing and food isn't getting moldy in a corner of the room. Also, since I provide kleenex, TP and other amenities, I think it's my job to make sure the guest doesn't run out of them in advance. They shouldn't have to ask for more if it's something I agreed to provide throughout their stay. 

Still, I most certainly think the guest has the right to know that a host may enter the room when the guest is out. If the host tells me in advance and I'm not comfortable with it, then I can always find somewhere else to stay. But even I would be upset if the host did not inform me that he or she enters the room I am staying in when I'm not there. It feels like the host is SPYING on me.

The difference between letting guests know in advance and sneaking into the room without their knowledge is HUGE. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0,

The day something goes missing from a guest's room, you'll be the one on the hook.

A guest will make up a story to get something for nothing, and your written public policy is all they need to make their case.

Be careful!

@Wendy-and-Frank0

It can go both ways. I have many many more valuables and expensive gadgets and appliances in my home. I could also be unlucky and a guest could run off with my extra laptop, bluetooth speaker, high-end espresso machine and other stuff I usually have laying around in the shared living room and kitchen. I trust guests enough to leave these things around the house. I think in terms of valuables and possibilty fo theft, hosts have much more to loose than guests. 

You're right about that, @Jessica-and-Henry0.

Which is why the only things I have of value don't fit in a car, and the rest of it is TJ Maxx junk.  😉

@Jessica-and-Henry0,

You also DISCLOSE that you do this.

That makes a whole world of difference.

I disclosed it to the guest over a month ago. She complained, yes, but she kept her reservation until it was convenient for her to leave... as her Apartment unit became available. If she had a genuine problem, waiting a month and then asking for a refund is not the way to gain my respect or trust.

But lo and behold, Airbnb seems to think that's an acceptable use of their 'Rights to do whatever the #@$% they want'.

And one of their rights is to surpress mine. 😕

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

This is freaky stuff.

My listing says that I enter rooms in case of emergency and open windows during a rainstorm constitutes an emergency.

There is no way on God's green earth that I would enter a guest room to see if anything was full or if there were crumbs.

Holy crap!

The day I get that worried about it, I'll close my doors to the general public.

I didn't invest $50,000 in renovations.  I invested half a million in building it.

Just sayin'!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Wow Ken, sorry Airbnb came down hard on you. 

(Actually not that hard, they merely cut short your reservation. They did not clawback the days she stayed. You are free to rent out the remainder of her stay)

You made me read Terms of Service, Section 9 paragraph 5 & 6

Nowhere does it say a private room may not be entered.

It basically says "Airbnb can do whatever it wants"

So Ken, you are still able to host as you desire. If you get a complaint, it will probably be ruled against you, but that is all.

You also are on notice that if you get a guest who complains about this issue, the guest may be refunded ALL of their stay. Unfair yes, but possible.

Do reconsider your hotel style service.

1.  It's easier.

2. You should formally ask for written permission

3 You are NOT a  dispensible minimum wage housekeeper

a. unlike a paid housekeeper, you have control over a guest's experience (you can kick them out, a housekeeper does not have that         power.)

b. You are a MAN.

This is no surprise to you.  We live in a very sexist society. Women can always play the "I feel uncomfortable" card and                   corporations will cringe to pass off the blame of any impropriety - real or not.  Unfair yes, but this is the real world

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Ken28 I have a house silent time too, everyday from 10pm-7am. Guests must keep noise low, no phone call/music, no packing/unpacking, and no shower. They can go home anytime they want as I am not giving them any curfew and of course they can use the bathroom at night if they need to do #1 or #2 (how are you supposed to hold this till the morning?)

I understand your concern as I am the kind of person who stick to my policy and house rules. I know that it can be frustrating when people are breaking the rules even though they said that they agreed to it, then they complain about it afterward (I think this is inappropriate). However, we need to keep in mind that we are running a professional role as a host. I understand the "my house, my rules", but I believe there is a better (more gentle, yet firm way to communicate this). You can update your listing stating your need to access the room when (insert reason here). That way, guests are aware of it and it will not be a surprise (if somehow they find out). Yes, it is your house and it is your room, but it is also "their room" during their stay. So, I think a better communication can solve this issue. I have a long house rules too and there are a couple of points that are similar to yours.

If I may give an advice to make the house rules sound more gentle? For example is regarding the receiving package >> POSTAL SERVICE/DELIVERIES: Unless you're ready to pay my bills, mortgage and property taxes, my address is MINE alone and I am solely responsible for any bills, charges, packages sent from, or received at MY address. I reserve the right to reject or refuse any deliveries to my address for any reason. DO NOT USE MY ADDRESS for any services that you might subscribe to or sign up for. Long term tenants can arrange for a P.O. Box if they require mail services.

It is a reasonable rules and I have that too in my house rules. However, do you really need to bring up "unless you are ready to pay my bills blablabla" ? If I am a potential guest, I would think that your rules are reasonable, but they are listed in an arrogant way.

I learn that it is tiring to "fight" the battle with guests who do not follow rules and I cannot imagine not trusting my guests (sounds stressful). So, I make a system to help myself. I embedded a code in the house rules that I always send before approving guests and that makes them need to read every bullet point again. I try to be as transparent and detailed as possible to ensure that everyone will have a pleasant experience. Yes, there is still a hit and miss sometimes, but I can see improvement since I made a better system for myself (compared to just be mad about it).

@Farah1: "I embedded a code in the house rules that I always send before approving guests and that makes them need to read every bullet point again."

That's awesome! I was considering doing the sAme thing with my rules, but tHought that was pushing my luck. whAt did you do? put in capital letters everywhere aNd make them type them bacK?

Like for above... it would be "THANK"?

@Ken28 my code is simpler than that. As you can see in my house rules that I use bullet points. For the house rules message, in the 6th bullet point, I write > • please keep read all the house rules until the last bullet point and follow the instructions < then I continue with the other bullet points (the same is in the house rules), then in the 10th bullet point, I write > • after reading until the last bullet point, please send a message to me saying I have read, understand, and agree with all the house rules and will follow all of them code (whatever code you want here, let's say "sky is blue") < 

So, I expect guest to get back to me with this message > I have read and understand all your house rules and will follow all of them. Sky is blue.

You can of course alter it based on your needs and preference. I hope this helps!

I can see improvement since I started doing this. Some guests do not read the listing/house rules thoroughly. A few times, guests decide not to move forward with the reservation because they cannot follow all the house rules after I sent the house rules message. I prefer to know this in advance (before approving request), that way, the guests can also find another place that fits them better.

I love that idea, @Farah1! I'll give this a shot.

I do admit, my rules sound self-righteous. They used to be so simple and to the point, but my last 3 of 7 guests have totally screwed me over and I've began getting annoyed with Airbnb's lack of common sense when it comes to having rules in writing.

@Farah,

I've spent a lot of time reviewing my rules, and my manual. As is turns out, most of my rules were elaborated on in the manual, and some things never made it into the rules.

Here's what I have now... Hopefully it sounds nicer? Also I put the codeword in there 🙂 Thanks for that suggestion!

-----

I apologize for all these rules, but they're here to ensure that we both enjoy this experience!

1) READ THESE RULES: Failing to read and comply with the rules is grounds for immediate cancellation. If you have questions about a policy, you are expected to bring those my my attention in a timely manner so I have an opportunity to resolve the matter.

2) No tobacco users (smoked, chewed, vapor, or other substances). Tobacco odors on you and your clothing eventually they linger in the house and my guests deserve an odor-free room.

3) No PERFUMES, colognes, or other STRONGLY SCENTED PRODUCTS.

4) Shoes shall be removed at the front door. Wear socks or slippers only.

5) Quiet hours are from 9pm to 7am. Please consider that I and other guests might be sleeping (I am a *super* light sleeper). Limit noise (phone calls, tv, kitchen use, showering, heavy footsteps, etc.). I'd recommend bringing headphones if you like to watch movies or listen to music late.

6) Thoroughly rinse used dishes and place them in the dishwasher. DO NOT put them back in the cabinets (I'll take care of running the dishwasher).

7) Food is to remain in the Kitchen and Dining Room (and no other rooms). Keep all food in air-tight containers (e.g., ziploc bags) or in the refrigerator. All FOOD-RELATED WASTE should be placed in the kitchen waste bin or in the black receptacle outside.

😎 DRESS DECENTLY around the house. (shirt and pants)

9) USE COASTERS on wood surfaces. (Coasters are already sitting on any furniture that needs them.)

10) Adopt GOOD HYGIENE during your stay.

11) Towels are to be hung on the towel racks in the bathroom. (Not kept in your room.) The restrooms have moisture-resistant finishes; the rest of the house does not.

12) Keep the restroom clean, it is shared with other guests. You may use the provided antibacterial wipes to aid in your cleaning. (These are not flushable. Discard in waste bin.)

13) Whomever leaves the house last should LET THE DOG OUT to relieve himself and then CRATE THE DOG before leaving. Doing this will help prevent 'surprises' when you or I get home.

14) If you made it this far.... congratulations! Continue reading the rest of the rules, and then when I ask you for the Code Word, you'll find it in rule #5 between the "*" and "*". Thank you!

15) Do not use my personal address for any services that you might subscribe to or sign up for. Long term tenants can arrange for a P.O. Box if they require mail services. I reserve the right to refuse any deliveries to my address for any reason.

16) Usage of the unit (including INTERNET) must comply with all applicable regulations. Any illicit activities (e.g., transmission of illegal content, drug usage, etc.) will result in immediate and permanent eviction from the premises, with no refund.

17) By booking, you consent to my entry to all spaces in the house. I will not enter Private spaces while they are occupied, but I do regularly access Private Rooms in order to ensure that (1) the property remains in good condition, (2) any needed consumables are re-stocked, and (3) House Rules have not been breached.

@Ken28 that is much better! I just want to check that this is for the house rules message that you are planning to send before approving and not for the one in the listing, right? For my listing, the house rules that is in the listing does not have the code. The house rules message that I send before approving has the code. I want to make sure that they read the house rules again (if they already did). However, it is up definitely up to you whether you want to put it in both/one of them. Best wishes!

@Farah1, no I hadn't considered putting the code in a quick message. I put it in the listing... Another great idea!