Guests: Couple versus Single

Answered!
Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Guests: Couple versus Single

Adapting your home.jpg

Greetings fellow hosts!
 I would love to get your comments and advice.

I am a humble Canadian host, who lives on-site in my home. I offer solo travellers a private bedroom (with single bed, desk and clothes drawers) and private bathroom.

The  private bedroom is about 175 square feet of space (not including the bedroom closet).

A few guests suggested I offer the private bedroom for a couple; remove the single bed (measuring 39" x 75 "), and put in a double bed (measuring 54" x 75").

To do so, I would have to remove the clothes drawers and get creative in the closet!

Would the end result  be too limiting, too cramped?  

As a host, do you tend to get more guest as couples  versus  singles?   

Again, your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!  

Thank you! 

1 Best Answer
Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

My experience:

If you have "special" House Rules or details you need every single guest to do, **don't host couples**. 

If most of guests don't read your room's profile, be almost sure that one in the couple won't have any idea about your space before coming.

Also, **never take out a desk/table from a guest room**. It's one of the things people use to ask for. To the point that my big room don't have any table and I had complaint in the reviews because of that (true!).

Personally, I stopped hosting couples and I truly think this is one of the best desicions I took in Airbnb.

View Best Answer in original post

99 Replies 99
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Pete69  Good on you, Solo Travelers get sick of the extra tariffs they have to pay when traveling and don't always want to share with more than one person, or may be past sharing with too many people.

That's the most common feedback I get in person from my guests as I prefer to have  only 1 other person in my home.

There's a huge market out there for them that is so often overlooked as people tend to focus on couples or families.

@Helen0   Interesting feedback from your solo travelers  as relates to extra tariffs and sharing with others.  I received some feedback along those lines you received; accompanied with appreciation! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pete69 But if you adverttise for solo guests only, then that's what you get. If you advertise for 2 or more, then I imagine solo travelers booking would be rarer.

Marta794
Level 6
Portland, OR

I agree that putting a double bed in would increase your opportunities with couples looking for a place to stay. We provide a queen-sized bed (larger place) and find that it's mostly couples, but also some single guests who have stayed with us. Either way you'll be set whether singles or couples.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Marta794The room size sure makes a difference, one doesn't want to only have a small area to navigate, one must remember potential and actual guests may decide on booking a property on how much room there is to navigate around the bed and getting into bed - little things people take for granted until they are in the same boat.

This is very important for those who are differently enabled.

@Harold75You may like to consider these ABB users when deciding which way to go -

Have you considered that there may be future guests who have what are commonly called disabilities who may enjoy some time staying at your home as Solo Travellers, those who perhaps have a walking stick or mobility aids of any kind?
They to are ABB users to consider.

Maybe think of how one of your own parents or grandparents would experience your Hosting style!!

Now I bet that's got you folk  @Sarah977 @Marta794 @Sandra856 @Harold75  and others thinking differently again!!??

@Helen427  Thinking differently, how? My Airbnb is not suitable for guests with mobility issues- they wouldn't be able to get up the staircase to the guest room. You suggest I should spend tens of thosands of dollars rebuilding my home to accommodate disabled guests?

When my 84 year old step-mother came to visit, I turned the living room into a private bedroom for her- I got a curtain rod and a curtian to close it off from the kitchen so she'd have privacy, and I made a railing so she could easily get up the 3 steps to the kitchen/living area.

She's my relative, so of course I accommodated her.

There's no way I'm bedding Airbnb guests down in my living room. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

No @Sarah977 , as everyone's homes are different.

However those who have suitable places where accessibility is possible they may like to consider those who are differently enabled to.

All the best

@Helen427 I welcome everyone who thinks they would enjoy staying. And I have had several ladies in their 70'ties staying. The last one a Norwegian lady who stayed in August. Unfortunately it is not only the guestroom that is small but the whole apartment. The kitchen and bathroom and my private area. It is difficult to do anything about that. The funny thing is that in Copenhagen it is very normal to live a whole family 2 adults and 2 kids in just 2 rooms (one bed room and one living room) and with a tiny bathroom like mine. And we in general don't mind at all. It is of course very different in the rest of the country were people live in normal modern houses. 

@Helen0   Good point about the accessibility!

I have had aged guests 70 plus  stay.  They selected my place , among other items, because it is first floor, no stairs.    The current single bed is high up, which they appreciate.  

You are correct, it is the little things ...my next project to put a grab bar in the shower area. 

Thank you again for your comments.  You really go me thinking about accessibility issues.

Thank you @Marta794  for you reply.   

I agree with you that putting a double bed would  increase opportunities.   

@Harold75 

My guest room is single occupancy private room in my home and the room is about 9.6㎡ or 103ft² including a small built-in closet. I also offer a private guest bath which is across the hall from the guest bedroom. I mostly host long-term international exchange students (1 semester = 4 months) and have had lots of inquires about squeezing 2 people in the room, but Henry and I would prefer to make a little less money than constantly worry about guests feeling cramped or feel frustrated in our own home because guests take over the shared spaces. Also with a bigger bed we wouldn't be able to fit a desk in the room meaning guests will be in the living room or kitchen table to work and we'd have to tiptoe around them if we see that they are working or studying. 

I know a lot of people think a bigger payout automatically means they are "making more money" but a lot of people forget to consider "the cost of hosting". At the end of the day, you should do the math think about the pros and cons of having 1 guest vs. 2 guests in your home, then decide what works best for you.

Fyi, my apartment is about 83㎡ or 890ft², a typical 3 bedroom 2 bath "starter home" - the apartment complex I live in is very popular with young married couples or families that have 1~2 kids and both parents work. We are close to several local universities with active international exchange programs so Henry and I were really lucky to find a niche that works great for us 🙂

@Jessica-and-Henry0   

I have often thought in this discussion, "Is it worth it?"

I  appreciate your points, especially in regards to "the cost of hosting" ...

Pros and Cons of couples versus single. This is an excellent point! I am glad you mention this, thank you.  I am in a shared home environment.  Not once has a solo traveler made noise that disturbed my sleep. 

Biggest Con of hosting a couple?  I can imagine an increase in noise versus a solo traveler.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Yes, put in a frameless double bed. 

Couples and singles will pay for this luxury and it will increase your marketability.

Don't worry about couples taking over your common area . Your place is small. If  you and your wife are at home, the guests will flee or retreat into their private bedroom.

Get rid of the chest of drawers, get a foldable luggage rack...  Maybe a small table or shelf in the closet. 

I like the table and chair. The table can double as a bedstand.

Charge $10 or $15 (American dollars) for the 2nd guest

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Paul154 thank you for your reply. 

Guest taking over common area  ...not  to worry?  Your place is small. If  you and your wife are at home, the guests will flee or retreat into their private bedroom.Thanks for your observation.  I had not thought of that angle! 

Chest of drawers ... get rid of it?  Agree 100% ! 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Harold75 

Just be mindful 2 guests may make noises that some here in CC have discussed in recent times as been unacceptable - you may like to read those discusions.

Again however it all depends on the cliente, age range and type of people you wish t attract - there's many unknown facts to await you as a Host that will always be unknown unitl one meets and shares one's home with people.

Maybe focus the availability of the double bed accommodation in your other property in your listing?