How can I stop guests ignoring the check in time?

Answered!
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How can I stop guests ignoring the check in time?

I really don't want to have to put it in CAPITALS at the beginning of my listing, as that's not very welcoming, but I am starting to get frustrated that so many guests simply ignore my check in time (3pm). It is in my listing and house rules, which I ask them to read.

Check out (12 pm) doesn't seem to be a problem. Occasionally a guest asks if they can leave bags and pick them up later, which is fine, but most leave earlier than noon with no fuss.

Check in is another matter. I would say that the majority of my guests want to come earlier. Some politely ask if that is an option, or if they can drop their bags earlier. Unfortuntely, a lot just assume they can come straight from the airport/train station and wouldn't have bothered to even communicate this to me had I not asked.

I always message them to ask what time they will arrive (the majority don't offer this information without a prompt). Even when I stress in my message that check in is from 3 pm onwards, they still respond saying, "We'll be arriving at 11 am." So, it's not that they don't know check in is after 3, they just simply don't seem to think it matters.

Even at a five star hotel with 24 hour reception, this is usually not okay.

Any tips for how I can prevent this? What am I doing wrong?!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0

I too have rooms in my home and I have to say this has never happened to me in a year and a half of hosting. I am not saying this will solve your issues, but this is what I do.

1. I don't confirm a booking until the guest provides me with a time in line with my check in time ie after 6p.m. during the week. If they are flying in I ask for their flight details.

2. If they want to arrive earlier I give them details of left luggage in the city centre

3. The day before I sent further details and confirm their check in time. I remind them of local cafes and pubs they can use if their plans change and they arrive a bit earlier. I ask them to message me on the day if they are likely to turn up after the agreed check in time.

You shouldn't have your whole day ruined by guests who behave like this. As you've learnt there is no benefit to you in agreeing early check in. Guests will always try and take advantage. As a host you need to be firm and polite and remind them that your check in time is XXX and that as an exception you agreed at no cost that they could leave their baggage much earlier.  You have plans for the day including cleaning of the house, so aren't able to have guests.

Point them in the direction of the tube stations and local cafes/bars and say that you look forward to seeing them later at the agreed check in time.

View Best Answer in original post

192 Replies 192
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Michon2 . Yes, for sure, do come and stay if you are ever in my neck of the woods!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yen-and-Robin0, thanks for your feedback. Yes, I think that if you are able to be very flexible about it and that it doesn't inconvenience you too much, then it's fine. I, like you, have until now been very accommodating to guests who want to drop their bags off earlier, or leave them to pick up later. Although I try not to promise it, if I can get the room ready faster, I let them check in earlier too. I've never charged extra for any of it.

However, I think you have more patience/stamina than me! This is wearing me out.

I have to agree with @Andrea0, in that many guests will unfortunately take advantage. I have had the nice young ladies (one of whom was a host herself) asking if they can drop off their bags at 9 am, plus, as they want to do sightseeing on their last day, can they leave the bags here until 3 pm. I told them all of this was fine, but as I had another guest checking in, they wouldn't be able to take the key and to please pick up their bags by 4 pm as I had to leave for a business meeting.

What do you think happened? On the last day, they left with the key! I then got a message that one would come back at 4 with the key but the other would pick up her bags at 7 pm...

Then there was the girl who asked for the check in time in her original request. I replied from 3pm. Closer to the time, I messaged to ask her arrival time. She said she would come in the morning! I explained to her that she couldn't as I had another guest there, but that she could drop off her bags. I had to chase and chase to find out what time she would arrive and, although she'd previously said she was bringing one suitcase, after dropping that off, she said she had to go back across town to get the other one! That meant I had to wait twice for her to drop off bags, disrupting my whole morning.

It's also starting to really annoy me how many guests don't think to even ask if it's okay to arrive five hours before check in. They just tell you that's when they're coming and, even then, that's only after you've chased them for an answer.

I have a super busy couple of months coming up with work and just don't think I can operate like this anymore. It's taking up too much time, plus I have to turnover the rooms and clean up the house at a frantic speed to accommodate all these early check ins/baggage drops.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now!

@Huma0 I go by this life slogan: WHAT YOU PERMIT YOU PROMOTE.............just say NO, 

to early arrival - impossible

to bags dropped off

to late check out............say new guest are coming - it is IMPOSSIBLE

There are so mnay folks that if you are flexible or bend YOUR HOUSE RULES will push as far as YOU let them.

I am talking to myself too - as I want to be kind, flexible - BUT it can get misunderstood quickly and open the door to a nightmare and to the frustration that I hear in your post.

Just say NO, sorry! And if they cancel - you can be grateful.

one more thing, if they ask for a discount on our already great prices - NOPE, they really could be trouble.............unless it is a long term stay!

just my 2 cents worth.

Happy Hosting and Happy New Year, Clara

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Clara116 I absolutely agree with you. I created this post nearly a year ago, when I was still very new to hosting. Since then, I've been pretty strict about the check in time, only veering from this when it is convenient for me, which it usually isn't! A recent guest asked on four separate occasions, including the day of arrival, if she could come earlier, but I just repeatedly said, 'No, sorry, it's not possible.'

Some guests don't seem to grasp it, like the ones that turned up on my street at 8.30 am after twice agreeing to the 3pm check in (incidentally, I still did not let them in until 3pm!), but I've only once had a cancellation due to this. That guest wanted to leave his bags at my place for a full day after his stay. I made sure that he understood when booking that I couldn't guarantee this, but once I realised I would be at work at the time he wanted to come, he cancelled, literally two hours before his full refund period ran out!

Annoying as that was, I was relieved. Like you said, such guests are more trouble than they are worth. These are the ones that agree to anything in order for you to accept the booking, but think that they can bend the rules after that.

@Huma0

I did have 2 people over Christmas who wanted to come early, for amusement sake I said yes to both, rooms would be ready and I was not going anywhere, neither actually turned up early.

David
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David126funny, isn't it? The only guest who has not given me 5 stars on welcome specified that it was because it would have been more convenient if I'd offered an earlier check in (I had explained to her other guests were still there so I couldn't do an AM check in). The same guest turned up hours late anyway...

@Huma0

I would not do AM whatever, realise you are slightly different but I have a 11 am check out so that would be a no no.

As my Granny said, nowt so strange as folk.

David
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David126no, I don't normally do AM either as my check out is also 11 (used to be 12, but I changed it recently because it was too stressful). However, I'll occasionaly consider an AM check in if I don't have guests staying directly before. I always state that I can't promise this until the day before in case I get a last mintue booking.

Susanne3
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I have an on going problem with people not reading that the latest I accept check ins is 10pm, but repeatedly I have guests texting me the day before to say "our flight arrives at 11.30pm so we will probably with there around 12.30- 1am"  I ask if they have read my house rules about check in and most say "oh sorry never read that" but the latest one agreed she had read but that was the only flight they could get, she booked the flight without even asking me if this 1am arrival would be ok, what can I do about this?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susanne3 

I have put on my listing that there is a late check in fee for arrivals after 9pm (my check in window is from 3-9). Of course, many late arriving guests ignore this, but when they message me to tell me they will be arriving much later, as per the guests you mentioned above, I politely remind them that there will be a fee involved, as stated on my listing.

I don't really want to be waiting up that late for guests, especially when I have to work the next morning, but at least I get some extra compensation for it. If you really don't want to do it at all, then stick to your guns. Make sure you get a confirmed arrival time before or asap after a booking.

You might still get the occasional guest who tells you last minute they are coming after your check in time, but I would think that would be a valid reason to call Airbnb and ask them to cancel the reservation for you penalty free. That could mean though if the guest is announcing their late arrival very lat minute that you have lost the income because it's too late to get other bookings.

Susanne3
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me post and some very valid points, I dont really want to post that I would charge extra for late arrivals as I would prefer not to have the booking if they are  arriving so late and I think it would encourage people. I wasnt aware that I could take the matter up with Airbnb and I will definately try that route as the guest in question is now ignoring my messages to her which suggested I refund her for the night in question, and I also offered her a full refund if she wished to cancel the whole booking althrough I have a strict cancellation policy because i dont want to suffer the penalties of cancelling the booking

Susanne3
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Just to give you an update, I contacted Airbnb and they were so helpful and said I was perfectly in my rights to cancel this booking as it clearly states on my site the check in times and they would take care of everything and cancel this and contact the guest. very impressed with their service

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susanne3good to know you got the problem sorted. Of course, some hosts would rather not lose the income, especially if the guest announces their late arrival at the last minute and it's too late to get another booking.

I think it would be fairer for the host to get some compensation rather than have to provide a full refund, as it's the guest's mistake for not reading the listing. I also remind the guests of my check in time before/as soon as they book and they have 48 hours to cancel penalty free, so they can't use not knowing as an excuse. They have deliberately chosen to ignore the check in times and do whatever they like.

I guess every host has to decide what is more important to them, their time or the money. However, if I do agree to a late check in, then at least I know I will be compensated for my time.

Susanne3
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Yes I totally agree we should be able to cancel and not have to give them a full refund we should at least get some compensation in case we dont refill that booking. I think your idea of confirming our check in times  immediately after booking and giving them the chance to cancel within the first 48 hours if they hadn't read it before  is a really good idea and then the tread is there as proof that they have been informed.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susanne3 

The only thing I can suggest is that you make a real point of getting that arrival time in writing from the guests in advance.

Obviously I have my check in window on my listing and also have in my house rules that guests must inform me upon booking, or at least a week in advance, of their arrival time, within my check in window of 3-9pm.

Of course, many guests do not read this or choose to ignore it. I also have it again in my welcome message and, if they ignore that too, in my first response to them, I ask again, and I will continue to chase them until I get an answer. It is very time consuming, but I need to know!

So, it's only occasionally that I find out last minute that a guest intends to arrive very late. It's in those cases that I say, okay then, but just to remind you that there is a late check in fee, as mentioned on the listing. By including this in my house rules, I prevent them from complaining about it later. If you don't want to do it, then the response is simply, "I'm sorry, but I did mention several times that check in is until 10pm only. If you are not sure you can arrive by then, please be kind enough to cancel your reservation." If they don't respond, call Airbnb. You have set your check in window and guests have no right to arrive later than that and especially not in the middle of the night.

It is one thing when the guest is late due to factors beyong their control such as a delayed flight. It is quite another when they totally ignore your check in time and just assume they can arrrive whenver they feel like it (usually to get a cheaper flight) and there is nothing you can do about it. That is them just trying to save money with 0% respect for your time and time = money. This is not a charity!