How do you handle guests that don't read Hosts instructions?

Answered!
Deanna45
Level 2
Columbus, OH

How do you handle guests that don't read Hosts instructions?

I have refined my online listing numerous times and have a printed user's manual in my apt. that describe and explain everything to the nth degree.

Nonetheless, I have guests who make false claims in their reviews and sometimes downgrade me. For example, saying I don't offer wifi, that they had trouble finding the apt. or getting into it, that the kitchen isn't fully equipped for cooking, that the water temp can't be adjusted on the bathroom faucet.

Since hosts can't see guests' reviews before posting theirs, the only way they can correct guests' factual errors is to post a response message. But what prospective guests see foremost is the guest's review. And they are likely to react to it before seeing any comeback from hosts.

Has anyone else noticed that guests sometimes simply don't read the information provided to them and then complain?

1 Best Answer
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Deanna45 Yes, this is a very common complaint for hosts. I think what's happening is that many guests are only using the app. to book & not expanding any of the categories, so they actually aren't even seeing most of your information. We recently had a guest who I know for sure was in this category as she asked for directions when on her way to our place last minute ... it's clearly stated in her itinerary, which she obviously never looked at, or found, or opened, she didn't know the code to open the key safe (also in her itinerary) and then was completely oblivious to our House Rules once she arrived. Using the phone app. was found to be the culprit.

The way around this, I've found, is when I initially respond to their request, I reiterate some of the information just to be sure they're aware. You need to say something like "just want to make sure before I accept your request that you're aware we don't have wifi, that the kitchen isn't fully equipped for cooking, that the water temp can't be adjusted on the bathroom faucet etc". Also it's a good idea to ask them to make sure they've read your House Rules as "once a booking is made it implies agreement to & adherence to my House Rules" (or something along that line).

To address the problem with finding your place issue, about a week before they're due to arrive, send them a message giving complete directions through Airbnb messaging - even though this information will be in their itinerary, repeat it just in case - and again ask them to make sure they've read your House Rules "as some may have changed since you made your booking".  Not that they have read your House Rules, but it's again just trying to nudge them in that direction.

Yes, it is a lot like herding cats in some cases!! 🙂  I hope that helps - Karen

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
DeAne0
Level 2
West Saugerties, NY

I have the same problem with guest that do NOT read the entire listing, my air bnb is more or less a Glamping experience, with no running water in the room, although I have a camping sink that holds 5 gallons of water and an RV compost toilet, and Spring Water for drinking...I noticed when I check in some guest (most are clueless about the listing and are only looking at the price...VERY FRUSTRATING) They are looking around for the shower and because they did not read the listing do not know that the shower is in the main house with times the shower can be used, this makes for a bad review and I am at my wits end with this! There is also some street noise (traffic usually in the early morning and early evening) and the occasional siren from the fire dept. which is right up the street...quite loud, but also mentioned in the description...any suggestions out there...I am ready to give this up! (I also message everyone who request to make a reservation to pls. read the entire listing before booking!

@DeAne0   I wonder if it would help if you would add a picture of the shower in the main house and caption it as such.  While many don't read descriptiion they do usually look at pictures.  Also, since it is unusual for most private room listings to have to go outside the listing to shower, perhaps it would be in your best interest to require in your welcome message that the booking guest confirm understanding of the shower location.  I include a request for confirmation from the guest that they understand I will remain in the house during their stay.  Every once in a while I catch the guest that did not understand that and they are able to cancel with no fees. Just a thought.

@DeAne0  I'm actually not surprised you are having these problems. I think you need to work on your listing description, as it's pretty confusing.

First of all, I would change the title. You say here it's more like Glamping, yet you present it as a little cottage in a garden. I would change the title to convey something like Rustic but Comfy. And why do you have a cover photo which shows the main house when that isn't what the guests are renting? You shouldn't have a photo of the main house at all, just mention in your description how far it is to the shower and where it is located. Also, you mention the shower situation in your opening paragraph, yet neglect to mention there that it is only available during certain hours.

As you say, guests don't read thoroughly, so you need to make things as clear as you possibly can. This includes the noise factor- the way you present the place, it looks like it's tucked away somewhere quiet, not on a busy street with a fire department sending wailing sirens out at any given hour..

I also think you're giving way too much emphasis on the "Woodstock" aspect of your listing with all those photos. People are booking accomodation, not a chance to relive their Woodstaock days or lament the fact that they weren't in attendance. Don't get me wrong, I'm a hippie from way back, but why does anyone need to see a picture of The Band, when they're just looking for a place to stay? There are plenty of people who might want to stay at your place who don't necessarily relate to photos full of tie-dye and the hippie scene. You're really limiting your market.

Hopefully, if you make things a little clearer, you will have happy guests who understand what they are booking. 

Hi Sarah...Thanks for your response...I call the room "Back to the Garden" because I live very close to Woodstock NY and the name of the room is from a song about Woodstock! Most of my guest come here to visit Woodstock hence the pix of "The Band" and everything related to the area...I did however take your suggestion and note where the shower is. The reason for the pix of the Main House is so people can find the place...that is the first place they see as the air bnb room is way in the back...Thanks for your help!

@DeAne0  Yes, I got the Woodstock reference of the title but like I said, then you are only appealing to guests who get that reference, rather than it being an accurate description of your place. And the guests you are getting are making you want to stop hosting, so maybe it would be better for you not to just be targeting those who are coming to visit the Woodstock of event fame.

You can send the photo of the main house to guests when they have a confirmed booking to assist them in finding the place- it really shouldn't be your cover photo, since that's not what guests are renting. We're trying to help you here, since you say guests aren't reading and it's causing problems.

Nancy115
Level 5
Mills River, NC

@Deanna45  unfortunately we cannot make our guests read everything, view all pictures and ask questions if they have them. As hosts we have to do our best to provide information. Each time I had a guest do something unexpected, I'd change the house rules or listing description or pictures. I think it's easier for me to communicate with guests and clear up confusion because I host in my home. 

Right on, Nancy. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Guess what? Almost no one, it seems, reads anymore, even hosts. There are new topic posts on this forum daily from new to the CC hosts with topic questions like "Anyone else ever receive poor customer service from Airbnb?" or "How will I get paid?". 

It appears that people have now accustomed themselves so much to just clicking on Google or some app to get an immediate answer to whatever question pops into their minds that they've completely lost the plot as far as maybe having to expend a bit of time and energy to actually do a little research. 

Those hosts who ask if anyone has ever had problems with CS haven't done either a search on these forums to see if a topic has been addressed, or even bothered to skim through a few pages of posts, where they would see that at least a quarter of the posts here have to do with poor CS.  And the ones who don't know how they'll get paid or how reviews work haven't even bothered to read through any of the information for hosts in the Airbnb Help pages.  They expect others to take time to answer them, when they couldn't bother to take time to research before posting.

I don't get it, I really don't. 

I definitely agree with you, @Sarah977 .  It seems to me that many posts from hosts cast the guest as a different human species that cannot read, or follow rules, etc.  Perhaps from my life perspective as a senior, I assume all the human failings I possess and do not condemn my fellow travelers.

Reiterate the major points when you correspond with them. But the onus is in them.  

Mine is a shared house. It's not for everyone. We speak very plainly about this. We reiterate it in the rules. We say it again in our initial correspondence. But I don't cancel. They do. 

I just booked a 2 week vacation. I know every detail. Now we are quarreling over in flight meals and window seats. Its not for 4 months! I don't go to Sunwing and say gawsh, I didn't know you don't have rubber duckies! We are going to be by a pool. We are bringing earplugs. 

Questions?

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

@Deanna45

Yes very common complaint!

I struggle with it every day - I have resorted to pictograms, youtube videos, little slideshow "stories" that I send them on their phone to explain how some things work...

Also having a verbal or back-and-forth chat at one point after they book is very helpful (works best if you can catch them immediately, when they are thinking about their holiday, available and just booked).

Not just that they don't read but they also don't want the confrontation or hassle of asking a question or requesting a repair, even though they are supposed to give you a chance to intervene before they put it in their review.

I also had like you did a guest who did not read how to work the heat, did not manage to get it working, and did not call or text me to ask, instead just put in his review that our heat didn't work.  Not true.  So annoying.  I made a big mistake and clicked too quickly on my response, I will be forever embarrassed by that.

Brandi-Or-Brad0
Level 2
La Center, WA

I'm dealing with that now. I'm tired of people having a negative remark on me when they choose to not read my whole write up. I even say " DONT BOOK UNTIL YOU HAVE READ EVERYTHING" we should be able to remove there response.

@Brandi-Or-Brad0 You can in fact put that in your IB message:  Do not book until you have read the entire listing and house rules.  Where else do you write this, to get their attention?

I love how I got a private note that it would have been nice to have an extra bathroom. My space was built in 1920 - and is advertised as only one bathroom. There is no other place to put a second one. So why give me 4 stars instead of 5 for value because I provided exactly what I said I would. The kicker was they stayed 6 weeks so they paid a whopping $77/night for 1500 sq feet. I dare them to find three bedrooms at a hotel for $77/night.

Sigh. Guests are sometimes odd. I'm learning to be thick-skinned but sometimes I just want to chuck it all and win the lottery so it can go back to being family space.

😞

As a landlord, I had a hairdresser ask me to move a weight bearing wall. .

Here's the bottom line. When people see an Airbnb listing, they assume it's backed by the Airbnb brand, same as Marriott or Hilton. There is some truth to this. If one host offers free WiFi, they all must. And I can see how they got there. 

The other is price. These folks are paying  a fraction of a hotel rate. But they aren't necessarily experienced travelers and their frame of reference is limited, particularly in terms of expectations.

Don't hate me for this, but female guests tend to compare digs to their own home. That's why the reviews can be picky.  And why some people hate accommodating Superhosts. And why pricier listings tend to get better reviews. Again, a more experienced client.

I found a lot depends on positioning. I make it clear that my shared home is not for everyone. Its designed for long term stays and if you are fussy a hotel is a better option. There is also a lot of respect,ctolerance and caring, and a lot of laughter too.