How do you handle rude guests?

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How do you handle rude guests?

My guest for this coming weekend is very rude.

He is unhappy with every policy I have and continues to communicate his displeasure in a very kurt manner. And this is before he even got here! I have been polite but ready to snap. I am pretty sure he will leave me a bad review so that ship had sailed.

Do you continue with a big smile no matter what?

Do you ever firmly but politely tell guests off?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

One again you are showing yourself to be a great host Inna. 

This guy got himself off to a bad start, but the reason he did that was to strengthen his ground and weaken yours. It's a power game people play to get their way through life. But, they do know when to stop, and you have laid it on the line and suggested this will not work for either of you, his manner changed.....good on you! It's a pity a few more hosts wouldn't take a leaf out of your book, stand their ground instead of saying, "Oh that's ok, it will all work out" and come here when it doesn't! 

Inna the worst that will happen here is, he will be demanding, he will have you jumping through hoops.....not because he is trying to, it's just that, that is the way he is used to living his life.

And if (on the slim chance) he does prove too much for you and leaves you a poor review, with 430+ great reviews who do you think we are going to believe.......him or the other 431! His review would say far more about him than it would say about you!

I wouldn't cancel him Inna, you are better than that, you are in for a good hosting.....on your terms!

Cheers......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

30 Replies 30

It absolutely could be sympathetic and even in the negative connotations it is still sympathetic bc at its heart what you’re saying is it must be hard for you to be this.... (mean, difficult, stupid, whatever)

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

This is where we stand now... I told the guest that I will call Airbnb to explore my options because this is not a good match. He profusely apologize, said we got off on the wrong foot and to please give him another chance. I said I would and am getting a much bigger than usual welcome present for him. Let's see if being the bigger person works. If it doesn't, there is always karma

Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

Hey @Inna22 

I really like your bigger person approach  - I call it moral highground 🙂

Sounds like the situation may have resolved itself with the helpful actions you took.  Hopefully it turns out well.  

Adam

You've called his bluff @Inna22 

He is nothing but a bully.

Bet it didn't even cross his mind that he doesn't have all the power.

Being held to account will be a good experience for him.

Be sure you maintain the high moral ground.

Very early in my hosting career I told a guest I thought I should cancel.

Very similar to yours - "wasn't happy with the bed set up" "my family will be unimpressed with that"  All things clearly stated in the listing and rules

The back down and the turn around were remarkable. She fell over herself to tell me how laid back she really was, and that she didn't really know WHY she said the things she did ( I do, because she was a manipulative little madam). 

The more you kow tow to bullies, the more they bully.

Fingers crossed he continues to behave

Good point @Rowena29 ! I never thought about it that way but yes, people will push and push sometimes only because there's no pushback. Once called out, they retreat quickly!

@Rowena29 great advice. Interestingly, these are the exact words he used: I promise you will see how laid back we really are

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

One again you are showing yourself to be a great host Inna. 

This guy got himself off to a bad start, but the reason he did that was to strengthen his ground and weaken yours. It's a power game people play to get their way through life. But, they do know when to stop, and you have laid it on the line and suggested this will not work for either of you, his manner changed.....good on you! It's a pity a few more hosts wouldn't take a leaf out of your book, stand their ground instead of saying, "Oh that's ok, it will all work out" and come here when it doesn't! 

Inna the worst that will happen here is, he will be demanding, he will have you jumping through hoops.....not because he is trying to, it's just that, that is the way he is used to living his life.

And if (on the slim chance) he does prove too much for you and leaves you a poor review, with 430+ great reviews who do you think we are going to believe.......him or the other 431! His review would say far more about him than it would say about you!

I wouldn't cancel him Inna, you are better than that, you are in for a good hosting.....on your terms!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 thank you for the wise and kind words

Eun-Sil1
Level 2
Queensland, AU

There is no way to make this guest happy. I had the number of experiences in the past, even if I kept smiling on my face and very kind to them, they eventually left the bad reviews. I learned from lessons, and I would not waste my energy towards this kind of guests. There is no point to be nice to the rude guest.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Inna22  I should have read the whole thread before I posted.............glad of the response you got Inna.

@Robin4 nailed it too.............you certainly present stuff to help so many hosts to grow and learn. You are terrific. Somebody has to do the hard stuff  - sorry for that! 🙂 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Inna22  good for you! Exactly what I would do. Every time I have had to gently call someone out they have backed down. Sometimes you have to just let them know that you have noticed their behavior and are willing to let the reservation go if its not a fit. People are often very surprised when you check them (politely, gently, firmly, kindly) because they get through life with everyone just tolerating or avoiding them. Let us know how the stay ends up. Being hospitable means putting your guests needs first and sometimes those needs involve finding a different place to stay 🙂

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Inna22 let us know if he does behave himself!

@Mike-And-Helen0 just checked them in. He made a snarky comment along the lines of "oh, this is like a dorm room" but held himself back and mumbled something nice right after. Let's see how the night goes! Thank you for checking in

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Inna22 fingers crossed!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Needless to say, they were not model guests. Barged into another unit by mistake. Screamed outside then claimed it was someone else. But I happened to be on the property myself at that time and personally saw who did it. Entitled and selfish. Let’s just hope they will not leave a negative