Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Is there a cat in my not-pet-friendly house??

Answered!
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Is there a cat in my not-pet-friendly house??

HELP! Need your thoughts please.....

Here's the situation: 

Got a reservation request about 7 weeks ago. It seemed to be from an enthusiastic young man who wanted to come to my area for a weekend getaway with his girlfriend to explore the area. I approved it. His initial correspondence was pleasant and enthusiastic. He is brand new to AirBnB. 

The day of his reservations- Friday, December 20th, he messages me in the early morning hours to ask if they can bring their "well behaved kitty." I am not listed as pet friendly, and I say no, with an excuse about future guests and allergies. They show up Friday night. I let them in and spend a minute or two explaining the heat, etc. and then leave them alone.

The next day, Saturday, I notice that all of the curtains are drawn as tight as can be. My spidey sense is on alert. You don't come to the country and make a cabin as dark as possible for no apparent reason. I would never enter the cabin without guest permission during a stay, so I haven't....but they did go out yesterday and I made my best attempt to peer in the cabin. I cannot see a thing. Those curtains remain pulled as tightly as possible. So of course I'm thinking that they brought the cat. What are your thoughts and what can I do?

I Obviously can't outright accuse them...but I'm highly suspicious. I am debating going in if they go out today. If I found a cat I would ask them to leave immediately. 

HELP!!

Top Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kia272 

Something similar just happened to @David-and-Annie0 here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guests-violated-our-no-pets-policy/m-p/1187691

Annie's review of the guest, after the fact, is spot on and she handled the situation very well, in my opinion.

It is best not to react until you have evidence. You peering through the windows or entering the space unannounced could cause a lot more harm to the future of your listing if the guest gets Airbnb involved.   

View Top Answer in original post

61 Replies 61

@Laura2592 @Ann489 To add another perspective . . . some people just don't like animals. Damage aside, they drool and smell and pant and shed and are not seen as cute and cuddly to everyone. I feel a similar emotional distaste towards humans as well, but unfortunately, in order to make any money, I have to let the humans stay. 

@Emilia42  I love animals--we  have a whole menagerie of them, so I know firsthand how much work they can be, and the things they are capable of.  Our own critters are enough to take care of; I don't want to clean up after/deal with other people's animals on top of it.  Not to mention the fact that our dog and the cats would be too stressed out by a constant stream of strange animals.  Their safety and well-being is my first and foremost concern.  I hope I don't sound too much like a hypocrite!  😉

@Emilia42  you hit the nail on the head. We are involved in animal rescue and cant imagine a life without our pets.  We are landlords too and allow pets in our rentals so long as our potential tenants can prove they are capable pet owners (vet references and vaccination record up to date on all pets in accordance with our state law.) We rarely have an issue caused by an animal. 

When people have a strict "no pets" policy I think they often dont like/haven't had experience with pets. Which is their prerogative  of course. But in the case of this situation I would be so very careful in how I approached my guests.  I just don't see that closing a curtain equals running a cat hotel.  

@Laura2592 I love animals and have fur babies myself, yet my listing is 'no pets'. This is because I won't blindly trust that other people have brought up, trained, and show love and respect to their pets the way I have and do. I don't want the guests that leave their dog alone in a strange house for 8 hours, causing the dog incredible stress, the likes of which induces the experience you had....destroyed door frame and antique door. No, thanks.

@Colleen253  that is such a rare case. It was said I just didn't have experience with pet damage and I do. But I have had many many more positive than negative furry guest experiences.  One couple had an elderly dog they couldn't bear to board but wanted to meet their new grandchild.  They were so grateful for the chance to travel with their dog and have all their family members together that they made a donation in our dogs name to the local shelter.

Most people who travel with their pets have a good sense of how to care for them. But again,  this is not the debate. The OP is suspicious and wants to spy on her guests. I don't think that's a  great idea.  But I guess she will let us know if her fears are founded.

My comment was intended only to offer an alternative point of view to your "When people have a strict "no pets" policy I think they often dont like/haven't had experience with pets".

@Laura2592 I have a no pets policy although I have a dog and cat myself. But same as other posters here, I don't want people bringing dogs that sleep on the bed, poop in the yard, etc. And you can never believe "Oh, our dog is perfectly behaved", because that can mean very different things to different people. If a dog owner has always allowed their dog on the furniture, it's not that the dog is ill-behaved, it's just what the dog's owner is okay with, which is fine in their own home, but not in mine. And my dog is an alpha female and doesn't tolerate other dogs on the property, with a few exceptions of neighborhood dogs she knows. 

Maybe I would allow pets if I hosted a separate property, rather than a private room in my home.

@Sarah977 I. Your own home is a different equation.  Not all pets are friendly with strange furry friends...heck my menagerie dont always get along and they have been cohabiting for ages. I totally get that. But the OP is not sharing the space and nor do we share ours. 

@Laura2592   whether the OP shares the space with guests or not, is not the point.  She has a "no pet policy" and that it.   You may not understand it, but you can respect it.

@Laura2592   or, as in my case, just don't want the hassle of someone else' pets in their Airbnb. 

@Emilia42  This gig would be great if it weren't for the guests, right?! LOL!*

*sarcasm, kidding, love my guests, Emilia's comment was funny

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Kia272   Definitely stick around during check out.  If there is a cat indeed, your review of the young man should reflect that.

@Ann489  Unfortunately, I can't be there for checkout. I do have a neighbor/co-host who will go over and check on things. I can't agree with you more about owner rules being respected by guests. I'm a dog lover, and would love to welcome pets, but I also want to keep my property and furnishings in good shape, and pets in general can obviously do damage. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kia272  Of course the cat is a possibility, but curtains drawn don't necessarily hide a cat- cats jump up on windowsills and move the curtains to look out. 

As another poster suggested, maybe they like to walk around naked, or have sex wherever, or are just private. Unless you see them leave with the cat or find evidence, after they leave, it's just speculation at this point.

@Sarah977  I understand that. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. I'm waiting to see the outcome. Sex in fun places and nudity are all well and good, but don't require drawn curtains 24/7. It's just weird.