Star rating for guests

Darcia0
Level 4
Umeå, Sweden

Star rating for guests

For each guest review, a host is asked to give a star rating for the guest's cleanliness and communication.

However, when looking at a guest's profile, the star rating for these aspects is not visible.

How can I as a host see these ratings prior to accepting a booking?

If it is not visible, than what is the value of completing these questions?

110 Replies 110
Dylan-and-Wendy0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I agree Guest should deifnitely have thier star ratings shown as well. Oterwise as you say what is the point. Please do this Air BNB!

Scott216
Level 2
United States

I have taken a new tack.  It does require a bit of work and precision, though.  I know how many reviews I have had for a property and what the average score is for each.  From this I can deduce how a new reviewer has rated my property, especially since AirBnB gives us the number of 5.0 reviews and our average.

I then add a canned message every time I learn that a guest has reviewed me:

"As we exclusively host and as our guests' experience is very specific to the accommodations, all our reviews are given as replies to the guests' reviews of the specific property of ours that they rented.  For a specific review of John and Jane [Personal information hidden], please click on my host-icon and navigate to reviews of our Property #123456."

I also score them as I, as a host, have experienced their stay.  Since our reviews are never visible to the public or usable by the host community, I do not spend too much energy there.

I then mark my calendar and wait until the last day for replies to reviews.  I then apply a standard of fairness that AirBnB does not (and thus the impetus for this long thread).  If I truly believe that we have done a 5-star job and have not been recognized *or* that the guest was difficult, high-maintenance, etc., I put it in the reply to their review.

This is the only way I could figure out for leveling the playing field, especially since guests can see beforehand, when reviewing me and my properties, that their will be blow-back for unfair or trolling reviews.

Chad-and-Char0
Level 8
North Vancouver, Canada

I don't bother giving my guests a star rating.

I just write a review and hit send.

Why give stars when nobody can see them?

And, the catagories I'd like to give stars for, i.e. arrival, don't exist.

Linda627
Level 1
Woodstock, GA

Where can you see the guests star rating? 

As of Oct 2017, you can only see them if you have "Instant Book" turned on - which is kind of silly IMO because you will only see them once a guest has booked.

Mine don't show up with or without instabook! and I keep trying to post this as a new conversation and it won't let me - i need HELP!

I have been wasting time taking with Airbnb customer service since early July because anytime someone searches for listings for a 21 stay (or longer), none of my places show up!  I have been so stressed bc I can't do laundry everyday - I want a long term guest and yet no one can see my lovely empty long term listings!  What can I do!  I know all of the reasons and why they would't show up - honest.  We've been through it all over 30 times.  It is totally a tech problem - no one is helping me!  Can you guys help me?? How should I give you all so you can check jan 5 - feb 5 2018 where you should see all 7 of my listings? Here they are:  https://www.airbnb.com/users/1333996/listings 

If you search january 5- january 19, 2018 youll get all of them.  Jan 5- Feb 5 - None of them!

Help Please!

Thank you,

Lisa

Kimi6
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hello all! 

I am not a host but have stayed at a few Airbnbs. I have always had a decent if not great time at all of them. I tend to be quite since I am usually very busy when I do stay in one because I am most likely at a conference or am booked for the day and come home exhuasted. However, I recently just noticed my star ratings and a few people gave me  4 stars yet left me vague, postive reviews. One of the people who gave me 4 stars was one who had the TV blasting in the living room which was right next to my room at 3 AM when I had to get up at 6 so I walked out and kindly asked if they could lower it - I felt terrible and super embrassed but it was so loud! 

I am a very clean person and have never left a place dirtier than how I found it nor do I ask for much of anything. I usually just need a bed to rest and a shower. 

So I am confused and am worried that hosts will not accept my requests because of those ratings. What do you guys think? Can you guys see guests' star ratings? 

Since the hosts did not leave any constructive feedback, I have no clue what I need to improve on. 

Hi Kimi - Could you tell me how you can see your own guest star rating? I could not find it on my app or computer and obviously, my last host left me a 1.5 star but with a positive comment. So far the star rating is very vague and mysterious for me. It is simply as if the host does not like you but does not have any solid reason for that, they would leave you a neutral to positive review then gives you low star rating. I'm researching all information regarding AirBnB star rating for guest before I could call and complain about my own rating. My friend and I have been excellent guests, and now I cannot book any other places because the only one i booked so far gave me a low star rating?!!

Just ask your hosts if you think there was something amiss to please spell it out .  But, the TV blasting at 3 am is crazy on their part.  Seems to me, after 66 guests, alot of folks struggle with just being clear, we are so afraid of offending someone.  I have noticed the more I am polite but clear, the better the experience.  I think it goes both ways.  I  had to ask a guest once to turn down her TV, it was late and loud.  She apologized profusely, didn't know I could here it.  Since, I put a note in my check in book and a sticker on the remote that says 'please keep volume lower after 10pm.  Since than, I have never heard the TV.  

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Hi there, this is a bit technical, but I noticed that I've had two potential guests who have had to ask to book even though they had previous reviews. Both people have gotten two stars on cleanliness. This is probably obvious, but that must also mean they got a thumbs down? And Airbnb is now giving us the option to decline guests with poor reviews?

I must say I appreciate this feature. 

@Eileen4, they may or may not have received a thumbs down. Do you have Instant Book on with the requirement that the guest has a host recommendation?

If so, then these guests probably were not allowed to Instant Book because of the negative host review.

And it would be perfectly reasonable to decline them.

@Matthew285 I'm trying to figure out something else. I had another  host and some friends both three nights with me. I have an extra fee for over four guests (an additional $10 a night). When I came in to clean, I found that four extra duvets had been taken out of a storage cabinet (not by my linen cabinet) and used without covers. When I asked about it, he said that yes, they had decided to use an extra bed I have that is not reported as a bed. He said 'thanks for having that linen available for us.' I'm annoyed.  Four duvets used for three nights without covers means I have to wash them now and, I strongly suspect, he had more than the number of guests he reported, likely to avoid paying the extra fee.  I want to give him a thumbs down, but friends are saying to let it go. I don't like it when guests lie about the numbers to save money. Any thoughts?

*both = book

@Eileen4 did you ask them directly if they had more than the stated number of guests?

(And if so, did they say they did?)

Without direct evidence and a confession of extra guests, there really is little to do. (At least as far as collecting extra money.) If you have not asked them about the extra guests, it would make sense to ask them about it (if you are planning to ask for more money.) They would have to agree to any increase in cost, and they probably would not be willing to do that unless they are willing to admit to the extra guests.

After that, it is really up to you if you want to give them a thumbs down based on your strong suspicion.

I didn't because I didn't think they would answer honestly. I mean, who would if it would mean paying extra? I'm not after the money, btw. I'm just wondering what to say in their review. It's the number of the duvets--four--that has me a bit stunned. I could see if they used the extra bed, but it's a single bed and therefore would only take one extra duvet. The condo is well-heated and there's no additional fee involved for it, so it can't be that they were cold. 

What I did do was ask them why so many duvets were out, which I think was a better question since it literally was the problem. It's just that their answer didn't make sense. The hygenic issue also irritates me. Washing duvets takes time and is costly--they take at least two long cycles in the dryer--and since they are big, I can only do one at a time. I know it sounds nitpicky, but these were hosts and I wonder what happened. That's just too much bedding for just one extra guest. So the issue is the review.