Suspended listing

Jennifer2998
Level 2
Lawrence, KS

Suspended listing

I had a guest last week who broke my toilet seat.  Not a massive deal, but they didn’t let me know and left me unprepared for my next guest.  I reached out for reimbursement, and after paying me that, the “guest” left me a 3 star review (I average 4.95 and have had 500+ bookings since 2017).  Airbnb has suspended my listing for five days as a result.

I agree with others who have had this happen—hosts have no power with Airbnb.  Doesn’t matter my track record or even the fact that the “guest” was clearly in the wrong here.  
I am awaiting a reply from Airbnb from my request to take down the 3-star review.  If they don’t, I am done with Airbnb.  Any advice for jumping to VRBO?  Anyone with experience having to cancel upcoming guests because you’re leaving the platform?

16 Replies 16

Yes!  It's not an average of everything over a long period.  It's not considered what the guest was giving you 3* for.  It's absolutely absurd, and it turns my stomach when I see the all new system promotion on my initial log-in page.  They had to have copied this from another platform.  Does anyone know of another platform like the new Airbnb platform?  

Hi

Sorry you've had all this stress

How many claims have you put in over the years out of interest? Do they usually go well?

I have only done 1 in 8 years and the guest volunteered because their kid broke a window.

Had lots of minor damage here and there, but never asked guest to pay for it because as soon as you do that, it spoils the guest experience. And that's never good for a review, especially if they haven't done one yet before the 14 day window.

Major damage I would utilise my own landlord insurance, and not rely upon airbnb.

Yes it means guest aren't been held accountable for damage, especially if they don't tell you, which is about 95% of guests. But its the price of doing business with airbnb. Whether we like it or not, hosts are just part of a broader eco system of someone else's brand.  I have had guests who say 'my previous airbnb did xyz, its putting me off airbnbs'. Airbnb will do anything to protect that. So the reality is hosts are not the customers, we are just the suppliers, the guests are the customers. And suppliers are never treated as well as customers....eg when a business goes bankrupt, suppliers suffer the most, customers often are protected in various ways...

I will probably at some point have some **bleep** awful guest that will trigger my delisting as well even without a damage claim etc..... So as you say, don't put all eggs in one basket, have another listing on another platform that even if it doesn't get huge bookings, is there ready to amp up if you have to swap over. I'm under no illusion that airbnb will provide me an income forever.