How can I stop guests ignoring the check in time?

Answered!
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How can I stop guests ignoring the check in time?

I really don't want to have to put it in CAPITALS at the beginning of my listing, as that's not very welcoming, but I am starting to get frustrated that so many guests simply ignore my check in time (3pm). It is in my listing and house rules, which I ask them to read.

Check out (12 pm) doesn't seem to be a problem. Occasionally a guest asks if they can leave bags and pick them up later, which is fine, but most leave earlier than noon with no fuss.

Check in is another matter. I would say that the majority of my guests want to come earlier. Some politely ask if that is an option, or if they can drop their bags earlier. Unfortuntely, a lot just assume they can come straight from the airport/train station and wouldn't have bothered to even communicate this to me had I not asked.

I always message them to ask what time they will arrive (the majority don't offer this information without a prompt). Even when I stress in my message that check in is from 3 pm onwards, they still respond saying, "We'll be arriving at 11 am." So, it's not that they don't know check in is after 3, they just simply don't seem to think it matters.

Even at a five star hotel with 24 hour reception, this is usually not okay.

Any tips for how I can prevent this? What am I doing wrong?!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0

I too have rooms in my home and I have to say this has never happened to me in a year and a half of hosting. I am not saying this will solve your issues, but this is what I do.

1. I don't confirm a booking until the guest provides me with a time in line with my check in time ie after 6p.m. during the week. If they are flying in I ask for their flight details.

2. If they want to arrive earlier I give them details of left luggage in the city centre

3. The day before I sent further details and confirm their check in time. I remind them of local cafes and pubs they can use if their plans change and they arrive a bit earlier. I ask them to message me on the day if they are likely to turn up after the agreed check in time.

You shouldn't have your whole day ruined by guests who behave like this. As you've learnt there is no benefit to you in agreeing early check in. Guests will always try and take advantage. As a host you need to be firm and polite and remind them that your check in time is XXX and that as an exception you agreed at no cost that they could leave their baggage much earlier.  You have plans for the day including cleaning of the house, so aren't able to have guests.

Point them in the direction of the tube stations and local cafes/bars and say that you look forward to seeing them later at the agreed check in time.

View Best Answer in original post

192 Replies 192

@Huma0, I've heard that some hosts msg people on ABB msging an hour before checkout reminding them of checkout time. Someone (sorry, I don't remember who) said this gives them "ammunition" with ABB if the people don't check out on time or there are other "luggage storage"/cleaning issues between guests. Maybe something we should all implement as hosts? Just wondering

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jann3 I think it's a good suggestion if that's something that's causing problems. I rarely have an issue with guests checking out on time. They usually don't ask to. Occasionally they want to leave their bags and I have had problems with them not coming when they said they would, or taking the keys with them. So, I only agree to this if I know I'm going to be in anyway and don't have to be somewhere later so they can't make me late and I really stress that they must leave the key.

I have a guest coming this evening to pick up bags, so let's see how that goes. She has a flight to catch so I don't think she will be late.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

If the come early, that doesn't bother me.

They can hang out in the living room or on the decks and take a load off.

But they can't get into their bedroom until 3 PM because I'm still cleaning.

This is what happens in hotels; I can't get into my room but I can stay in their lobby.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Following the sound advice given above has more or less worked out. I'm always willing to be flexible if a guest is coming 30 minutes to an hour before or after the specified times if they ask nicely. However, unless it's convenient to have guests arrive much earlier, I stick to my guns about the check in and sending them details of left luggage facilities seems to work very well as then they can see I am serious about it.

However, every now and then I still get guests who are determined to ingore all that. This week, I had a couple arrive for a week's stay. They had asked if they could check in at 10 am instead of 3 pm. I'd told them it wasn't possible on that particular date (I had both their room and another room to get ready for guests arriving the same day as well as the rest of the house to clean). I even messaged them again to double check they were coming at 3pm, to which they replied: "Follow your check in time 3pm haha."

Maybe the "haha" should have been a warning, because on the day, at 9.30 am, I got a message "Good morning. Guess where we are haha." They were at my local supermarket, five and a half hours before check in! I didn't respond, as there was no question in the message. So, they started texting me, saying they were still down the road and could they check in now. I told them no, that I was extremely busy and we would need to stick to the 3pm check in as previously agreed.

Is it just me, or is this not extremely disrespectful? What did they think, that if they showed up on my street, I would have to let them in? Also, I'd told them I had guests in the room directly before them. Was I supposed to eject these guests 2.5 hours before check out and how was I supposed to get the room ready?

For me, it got the stay off to a bad start and I had to really bite my tongue when they arrived. I feel I will have to mention this in the review, although I'm not sure how to phrase it yet.

@Huma0 is it me (as a new host-to-be) or is there an AWFUL LOT of "they texted me" lately with regards to guests? I thought guests were to communicate w/hosts via ABB msging? If they text there is literally no proof (besides a screenshot which can be faked) about a conversation. If they use msging, there is a record of a bad/unruly/unjust guest.

I do not text very much, if a guest text's me then I reply though the system so it is all there.

David
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jann3, yes I often get texts from guests just prior to arrival. I think many of them do not have internet access if they are coming from abroad. However, the sensible thing to do would be to respond to the text AND send a message via Airbnb at the same time, so there's a record on there.

The particular guests I mentioned above did message me on Airbnb at 9.30, but when I didn't respond within half an hour (I was busy getting rooms ready), they started texting me. I responded that they would need to stick to the agreed check in time of 3 pm and suggested they go sightseeing or for some lunch in the meantime.

I wanted to add (but didn't) "Instead of camping out on my road and harrassing me for the next few hours, because you'll be wasting your time!"

@Huma0: I thought that whole "don't have internet" thing ended with Britain joining the "common market" or "Euro Zone" ... oh, sorry - I forgot Brexit. (ducking - KIDDING!)

@Huma0.  Re your 9am guest texting you, you can always not reply as you are at work and cannot use a personal phone  and then write back at 2:15 to say you are looking forward to seeing them at 3.

There are many reasons to be unavailable to the web...as you had already informed them of the acceptable time, you dont actually need to answer them.  They know the answer.

Clare-and-Coco0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

This thread has been very helpful, I too like @Huma0 always try to be helpful. SO many do assume that they can check in when they want with the present guest letting me know the day before they arrived that it would be 1am in the morning when check in should have been between 3-5!

They seem to think that hosts don't have life, work, other properties to manage for some reason and occassionally some sleep is nice! ;-). After reading this thread I will be charging if they wish to drop off luggage hours before check in including leaving after check out, but will charge in line with luggage holders rates. And the same in line should they wish to fully check in very early, a day rate will be added.

Live and learn.

Thanks to all for the great advice!

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think it is getting worse if anything. Finding out their arrival time and laying down the law mostly works in my experience. There is a fine line between trying to help though and being the Band Aid housing the world and letting them know it is Xmas time 🙂

There seems to be a lot of people pitching up on the day these days so it makes it trickier.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @John498, yes it's a lot of work actually, chasing them for an arrival time, going back again to remind them that the time they've specified is out of your check in window and asking for them to specify a time within the window, then often having to still respond to messages from them on the day asking to come earlier anyway. 

I do feel sometimes that I am starting the stay off on a bad note by continually saying 'no' to the guests' requests, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I don't charge enough to kill myself getting everything ready to accommodate early check ins and, anyway, often it's impossible due to previous guests.

I don't have the problem of people pitching up on the day though as I don't accept same day bookings. They need to book by the day before.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Also, sometimes it doesn't matter how much you remind them. My next set of guests confirmed they had read and understood the check in/check out times before they booked (I bring their attention to this before accepting). Still, a few days ago, they messaged to ask what time they could check in. I responded with the time frame again and asking them again to let me know a specific time and then... silence. So, I have no idea when they are arriving, but I'm guessing they are hoping to show up early and were just trying their luck by asking again. Sounds cynical, I know, but I'm basing this on my experience of hosting in the last year and a bit.

@Huma0 Hello,

I have followed this thread and I think you might want to look at your listing! I have copied from your listing below- by writing this YOU seem to be opening UP THE DOOR TO A DIFFERENT TIME.  Most of us put the check in and check out time ! And that is all. 

So I know you are being kind but you have mentioned the possibility of a different time AND THAT is what I imagine folks are jumping on and camping out on your street about. Just my take on it?? maybe I'm wrong but, you might wanna delete these 2 sentences. Just a thought. Happy Hosting and Happy New Year, Clara

YOUR LISTING READS:

If you require early or late check in, or late check out, please inform me well in advance. These can be accommodated when possible for a small additional fee.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Clara116yes, I am sure you are right. I will change that on the listings.

I actually put that in there after it was suggested in this thread! The idea was that it would make guests appreciate that an earlier check in/late check out is not something they get as standard, but is an extra they need to pay for, which is similar to how many hotels do it.

However, the guests never want to pay a fee for either! So, it is probably better to remove that entirely.