How do I remove a slanderous review

Elizabeth290
Level 3
Bryn Mawr, PA

How do I remove a slanderous review

I just had a guest check out who left a nasty review.  Amongst other untruths, she stated that my husband is creepy, and that we watch our guests.  Untrue!  

All my other reviews are 5 star, and this review changes that and makes us look really bad.  How can I get it taken down?

Please help!

137 Replies 137

Hi @Elizabeth290, i understand that you were shocked when you read your guests review. But as many have mentioned, you should refrain from writing such response.

My suggestion is that you don't take any important steps/descions when you are agree or anxious. Take a few seconds to calm down and think the best way forward. 🙂

What we learn today makes us better tomorrow!

Gigi28
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

The Same thing I’m experiencing. I didn’t realize how easy it is for Guests to Lie so blatantly. I’m stunned; While Airbnb does absolutely nothing.  I Average 5 Stars and an Ill-Intended guest who thought they booked an Entire Apartment instead of a Private Room In a Condo (as listed), threw me under the bus, ALL in a Desperate attempt to get some kind of refund. Too much to mention but I did absolutely NOTHING wrong. If anything I went above and beyond.

To say i’m greatly disappointed is an understatement. 

Airbnb has such LOW Standards to my surprise. 

I would like to expand your thinking on this @Gigi28

If you have read Air Bnb Terms and Conditions and the Content Policy which is within the terms and conditions you might think differently that Air Bnb has high standards regarding reviews. 

The issue I have experienced is Air Bnb’s low standards when it comes to enforcing those Terms and Conditions and the content policy that lies within. 

Have you read the terms and conditions that relate to reviews ? 

Feedback on what I have just written from others is welcome 

Welcome to the club. I have similar cases twice a week. I'm so fed up with that.

Susan612
Level 8
United States

@Gigi28 go read the terms and conditions related to reviews then if you think the review violates the terms and conditions reach out to a case manager and then report back to us what happens if you don’t mind sharing . 

Mary1081
Level 2
Cambridge, NY

I just experienced my first bad review in 3 years.  The guest assessment was so inaccurate I wondered if they may be delusional.  My place is in a rural village in upstate NY.  Private and quiet but within walking distance to stores, restraunts, post office, library etc. I also have pet kitty cats that are never allowed in the apartment.  This is all stated in my rental description.  The guest stated the place was 'remote' and they were AFRAID OF THE CATS.  Why did they choose my place? Its in a village in upstate NY. Its not Manhattan but its not Montana either.  Also I guess we country folk are pretty hardy and not afraid of kitty cats.  Anyway I'm choosing to move past it and realize you can't please everyone.  

Lloyd12
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I really could not disagree with Robin in Mount Barker, Australia more.

In the past, and under different circumstances... I have gotten Airbnb to take down two reviews. It was not easy but I did make it happen and Elizabeth needs to do the same.

This is not an issue of not having enough towels or toilet paper... this is about safety and being personally violated. 

Guest Rachel, is insinuating that Elizabeth's husband is a pervert. Her claims amount to assault. People go to jail for filming people without their knowledge.

What Rachel is saying is not open to perspective... either there are interior cameras or there are not. These allegations could destroy Elizabeth's business.

After reading that review... would you book with her... I wouldn't. This is something that could harm Elizabeth's reputation permanently. 

If I were Elizabeth I would sue Rachel. At the very least I would have my attorney send a letter to Airbnb asking they remove the review.

In presenting her case to Airbnb, Elizabeth needs to start with her reviews.

She is a Superhost and all of a sudden her husband just flakes out... really? I don't think so. 

In other words, Elizabeth's past performance should help get her the benefit of the doubt.

Number two: Rachel and her party were either there after checkout or they weren't.

If they were... it was up to Rachel to inform Elizabeth that her party would be checking out late. ( I always ask my guests to text me when they are leaving that way I know they are gone - but I am not required to do that... the guest, however, is required to check out on time)

Those are the only issues in play here. 

I would also ask Airbnb to look at other reviews that Rachel has posted... has she made similar allegations or posted such innuendo in the past? 

Is she randomly trying to sabotage different hosts reputations and ratings? 

All I can say is that were I Elizabeth, I would do what it took to get this review taken down.

Jo361
Level 1
Cerne Abbas, United Kingdom

Try not to take this too personally, I think we all get the odd comment, sometimes I agree and I change my strategy, and sometimes I just ignore the comment. 

I too experience comments about cleanliness, I host a vintage caravan, in the country, that has free insects.  I have explained that the toilet is a composite one and does not flush, that I provide bottled water.  I have priced my caravan accordingly at 25 a night,  I add on the cleaning fee of 14, for the trip, I offer a discount for longer stays (it costs 23 a night on a caravan site for an electric hook up).  I have had bad reviews removed as is mentioned in the rest of the responses, because they do not meet the airbnb agreement.  However i have not been able to have the star ratings removed, which I feel is unfair. What I have noticed is a tendancy for some individuals to try to get a stay for free.  So I have started to charge for the initial fees and nights stayed, and state on my description that I will not automatically refund.  This may have affected my bookings, but... is that an issue or is it better to make people aware that they need to analyse their choie of accommodation prior to booking.

If I feel there are any issues I contact airbnb straight away, I take pictures of the room prior to guests coming, and when they have left so I can validate my side of the story.

Has anyone else found a way to have the ratings removed when a guest is not fair in their rating.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Jo361

Never seen anybody get the ratings changed, personal opinion etc etc. Best to go after anything written which can be suggested to be against the AirBnB terms.

David
Kristel3
Level 2
Camp Meeker, CA

WOW,

First off Elizabeth & David I think your response was excellent! And you don't look wishy-washy, you look like you were blindsided by a slightly off guest, who was also inconsiderate in not leaving by check-out time, and then blaming you for coming by, AFTER they should have already been gone! Terrible.

And I agree with other responders that if your guest says "he said xyz", and you in fact, did NOT say xyz, then you shouldn't beat around the bush about it (even though AirBnB staff seems to think you should) - no, you should definitely call it out as the lie that it is! Hosts don't have to be (and shouldn't be) spineless doormats - be considerate, respectful, and kind, but firm about the rules and the facts.

I'm really shocked and dismayed at AirBnB's response to you - very unprofessional of them, IMO. Sounds like they forget that hosts are as crucial to their business as guests are! And that hosts are also guests, usually.

Reviews by either party should not be allowed to make false claims, and if a false claim is made, then the review should be pulled. It's unfortunate that AirBnB allows slanderous reviews (and the accompanying ratings) to remain.

Facts matter. AirBnB, by implementing a rating system (and sorting & prioritizing views based in part on that), has a responsibility to enforce fairness & accuracy in their own review system. Sounds like they need to review their own policies on the matter.

Jules68
Level 1
Wilkes-Barre, PA

Help! We also have a slanderous and untrue review. Hope did this resolve for you? We are wondering if we should pursue legal action because now our other reservation inquires are cancelling. We are superhosts and are horrified by this turn of events.

We have already complained to Airbnb and are waiting to hear back.

Thanks!

Jules

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can see the comments are upsetting for you @Jules0 , but I can't see anything that would be legally termed as slanderous in the last review that was left for your property.

Chin up, I am sure you will get lovely guests and positive reviews soon.

I think you responded well and this guest just comes off as super picky. Bravo. I have my own bad review to deal with and will use your response as a guide;) 

Julie660
Level 4
Rockford, IL

We just had a horrible review, a retaliation review.  It was from a girl that has stayed with us 3 other times and only had glowing things to say.  Now all of a sudden it's horrible.  We found out from the girl in the lower unit that the airbnb guest upstairs had a boyfriend that was staying a few nights a week.  I did ask our airbnb guest about the possibility of a 2nd person staying with her,,,she admitted that he stayed a few times a week for the past 3 months!!  This was kind of towards the end of her stay so all I said was "oh ok, I was just wondering" or something like that...and wow, all of a sudden her entire attitude changed.  I called airbnb and complained about her review,,,after she has left us glowing reviews for the same apartment and they pretty much said oh well.  I am just in shock...