How do you file a complaint against a host?

Answered!
Tammy37
Level 4
United States

How do you file a complaint against a host?

Had a confirmed booking, had already paid, then the host said he wanted $100 in cash on arrival as a surcharge.  We disagreed, but eventually cancelled, since we knew he would eventually cancel us out so he could gouge someone else.  

Because we cancelled, we have to eat the service charge.

Two questions:

1) how do we file a complaint against this host?

2) How can we petition to get the host to eat the service charge?

thanks,

Tammy

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If in the future you should ever need to cancel because of a host issue (it will probably never happen again, but anyway...) call Airbnb FIRST and let them cancel it for you, they will take appropriate action and you will not have to claim back the service charge.

Better to do it that way around, since you have to contact them anyway. If a host cancels, you get full refund and maybe even a little travel credit as a perk and comfort from Airbnb.

The host, on the other hand, gets slapped with a fine which is a reason why hosts do not want to cancel!

I wish all hosts just got on with doing the job we are here to do, rather than trying on a little scam on the side.

Better luck next time!

View Best Answer in original post

310 Replies 310

Hi Malcolm - I am in the middle of a sticky problem with an unscrupulous host as well. Airbnb is naturally geared to favouring the host. It is completely unregulated. It won't take responsibility for host actions - even though guests actually contract with Aribnb. I work for a litigation funder - and am considering launching  class action against them by guests who have been financially disadvantaged by Airbnb's lack of accountability. Please email me with your contact details if you'd like to participate. It would be no cost to you. Please email me at [Email address hidden] - I can provide more details.

@Malcolm19 I don't blame you one single bit and I would be mad as well.   The only consolation is that Airbnb knows how cancellations affect guests and severly sanctions hosts who cancel up to and including banning hosts who cancel guests indiscrimanently. 

Sadly, Airbnb cannot force hosts to honor their reservations.  They can only punish them financially and otherwise.  

If your reservation was due to start within 4 weeks of the cancellation, Airbnb will offer you additional credit with your refund towards rebooking if your new reservation costs more.  Is that your situation?

As a host myself, I does anger me when I hear of cancellations, especially if the host had problems with Airbnb.  That should have been resolved with Airbnb and not taken out on you.  

Malcolm19
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi

I wish I had known this, then I would have made other arrangements. What use is a reservation and paying for it if it csn be cancelled at will? This is fine print that should be stated when a reservation is confirmed.

I made another reservation througn Air BNB costing considerably more. The first reservation was cancelled on 28 April and the new reservation commences 26 May. But we are leaving Cape Town aboard a cruise ship coming Friday, so I had to rush it.

I hope others will read about my experience and be warned generally and specifically about Daniele. Me? Don't think I 'll trust AirBNB again!

@Malcolm19  When the host cancelled your reservation, you should have received a notice from Airbnb outlining your options for a refund, including the additional credit if the cancellation was within 4 weeks of your scheduled check in time.  

I'd still contact Airbnb about this as they are pretty understanding about cancellations and how they adversely affect guests.  

Go to the home page of this Community Center and click on Get Support.  There you will see the Community Help Guides, one of which is about all the ways to contact Airbnb  (Contact Airbnb) including phone numbers available world wide.  

At minimum, I would expect them to give you a Travel Credit towards a future reservation.  I realize that you might not take them up on it, but there are some terrific hosts out there who provide great accommodations and never have cancelled.  They're called Super Hosts and you can filter your search for them.  

I hope you have a great time on your cruise!

Joo-Seet0
Level 2
Singapore

It is interesting to read all the comments but not a single reaction from AirBnB.

To all customers and potential customers of AirBnB, please be aware that you book with AirBnB and can still end up with no place to stay on arrival. Why? Because AirBnB allow the host to cancel paid confirmed reservation randomly.

Recently I booked a two-night stay through AirBnB, made payment by credit card and received a confirmation. Subsequently I was informed by AirBnB that the host have cancelled my paid confirmed reservation. The reason for the cancellation: The host have another customer booking for more nights than me. This make unethical logical business for the host.

But what about AirBnB?

I visited the website and found that this is not the first cancellation by this host with the knowledge of AirBnB. What is surprising is that there is no consequence for the host. She is still listed as a host.

Fortunately, I have not started my travel and was able to make alternative arrangement. If I had started my travel, I would have arrived with no place to stay.

I am quite sure AirBnB can fefer me to some clause somewhere in their terms and conditions to show that they are "legally" covered. Is this ethical logical business for AirBnB?

Hi Joo - I am in the middle of a sticky problem with an unscrupulous host as well. Airbnb is naturally geared to favouring the host. It is completely unregulated. It won't take responsibility for host actions - even though guests actually contract with Airbnb. I work for a litigation funder - and am considering launching  a class action against them by guests who have been financially disadvantaged by Airbnb's lack of accountability. Please email me with your contact details if you'd like to participate. It would be no cost to you. Please email me at neil.kafer@bigpond.com - I can provide more details.

Hello! I just had a host price gouge and am so frustrated and would love to take part in this. I booked an airbnb which was confirmed and everything. A few weeks later the host says i need to stay for 2 days minimum. By the time I got to replying to the message, the host canceled my stay and doubled the price! I was interested in staying 2 nights, but the host already got someone else to reserve for over double what I paid!!!!

Fiona814
Level 2
Southampton, United Kingdom

I’m speechless at losing almost  £2000 yesterday re a host but mainly caused by appalling customer service and dia communication speaking to more than 7 different people at AirBNB. It is hard to understand the majority of them as English is not their first language so communication is made worse. I had the worse man ever yesterday what an awful man Josue, who kept talking over me I sadly lost my temper with him not good I know he was not listening. They all tell you different thing s so you don’t know what the truth is I’m sure they are all trained to be the way they are all like robots reading scripts throwing in “I understand Im so sorry “ but they are not! since April it’s been a battle. I will NEVER use them again and they need to be accountable for ripping people off. If a UK company we’d have a case but this lot ! Law unto them selves and yes I will definitely email you 👌

Hello Joo, My name is Nina I have over 3000 Reservations between AirBnb and other web sites. I am sorry that the host cancelled your reservation. But I want to tell you that many Guests/Visitors cancel reservations as well. Last month I had several random cancellations where the guests said they house smelled or the house was dirty or they didnt like the neighborhood. Hosts experience cancellations as well many guets will make up false accusations and canceel bookings and AirBnb will give them a refund. I have came to the conclusion that hosts must do what is best for them. 

I had a guest book a house for 1 night then I had a guest book the house for 16 nights on a different site. I had to cancell the booking for 1 night and take the booking for 16 nights. as a Host, I am penalized and i am charged money for cancelling the 1 night reservation. But what if the guest for 1 night cancels (because of a lie) and I miss out on the reservation for 16 nights. I have to roll the dice and cancel the booking for 1 night and hope that they do not cancel.

Guests cancel reservationsns from hosts all the time  and except refunds. We are both in the same boat.

Guests canceling is not an excuse for a host to cancel. That's a business risk.

I'm a paying customer, and a host just canceled me.  I wrote about it at **. Apparently, this seems to be a common problem. I'll stick with hotels from now on.

I bought a lot of Airbnb stock because I had two good experiences, but now after one bad experience and reading all the other comments here, I'm going to sell my Airbnb stock. I'll use the money to buy more Microsoft and Tesla stock.

**[Identifiable information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Are you trying to justify? Airbnb hosts are getting away with alot