damages

Kaylen12
Level 2
Asheville, NC

damages

I have hardwood floor in my home that guests continue to put scratches in.

Its typically  from lack of common sense such as moving furniture and dragging it across the floor.

I have made it a house rule to be careful but people do not read the rules.

It doesn't seem feasible to charge guests to have the floor refinished.

Is there a way people can get reimbursement for this?

3 Replies 3
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kaylen12  I think you're right that you can't charge guests for refinishing the floor.  What you can do is price your room to accommodate repairs and other unplanned expenses, forbid guests from moving furniture, and put thick felt pads on the feet or base of every piece of furniture in the room.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kaylen12  Floor scratches would be considered normal wear and tear.

Absolutely put felt pads under furniture legs. That is also useful in that it makes furniture easier to slide around to clean under and behind.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kaylen12  Unless the scratches are truly horrific gouges I doubt Airbnb would reimburse you.  I'd put a rug down.  And if you don't have it in your rules, add that no furniture can be moved, some people will still do it, but it helps a little.  I don't think you can eliminate that kind of wear and tear, we have also seen the wood floors get scratched and the hallway and bedroom walls get marked up because of people slamming around their gigantic luggage.